• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have the SR1911 commander, the STI Spartan IV and The STI Spartan V. They are all great guns and I have had zero issues with any of them. You cant go wrong with either one. I think it is personal preference whether you like the stainless look of the Ruger or the parkarized surface of the Spartan. The Spartan also has front serrations and a better front sight than the Ruger.

Not picking on you, a lot of other people have posted it as well. I must have got the only crap Ruger SR1911 commander out there. Between that and the LC9 my experience with Ruger is not so good.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Para Expert in stainless. Got one and it has been great. Didn't care for the Range Officer. Ruger would be my other choice or the Remington.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Para Expert in stainless. Got one and it has been great. Didn't care for the Range Officer. Ruger would be my other choice or the Remington.

Hey, I get that different strokes for different folks. I don't like Kahr pistols for example. But I am curious since I don't hear negative press on the RO what you didn't like about it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will 3rd that and ask What was not to your liking. Not a pile on just curious. I have owned many of them. Once a friend shoots one of mine it usually ends up going home with him/her. It is hard to hang on to them.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Gotta throw my hat in the ring for the sr1911 under $700 but there are some really fine 1911s just over that magical $700 number too. $700 would not be my cutoff for entry level vs midlevel.

Cbabs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    Indy
    700 was my target number bc we all know how much the holsters add onto the price. I want a nice leather rig for this gun. The SO seems to have the most votes, but its at the top of my price point, plus a ffl transfer fee then throw on custom grips that people have been talkin about I'm at at least 800 b4 I get the holster. Idk its a lot of money. I find all of the suggestions extremely valuable. Any favorite leather holsters?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    700 was my target number bc we all know how much the holsters add onto the price. I want a nice leather rig for this gun. The SO seems to have the most votes, but its at the top of my price point, plus a ffl transfer fee then throw on custom grips that people have been talkin about I'm at at least 800 b4 I get the holster. Idk its a lot of money. I find all of the suggestions extremely valuable. Any favorite leather holsters?
    Is this going to be your every day carry gun? I don't skimp on my "edc". I won't put a price on how much my life is worth. Save up a week or so longer and get a better firearm.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Holster wise for leather there are a lot of good options. I personally carry in a hybrid holster but Ive seen really nice leather from Milt Sparks and Exodus Gunleather.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    RIA TACTICAL 2011 MODEL. OVER 500RDS DOWN THE PIPE USING WILSON COMBAT MAGS WITH ZERO ISSUES. WAS 550 NEW. PLUS GRIPS AND WILSON 3 WILSON MAGS I HAVE UNDER 700 IN IT.

CM I KNOW YOUR GONNA HATE ON IT ;)

just realized i had caps lock on. oh well to lazy to retype.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    RIA TACTICAL 2011 MODEL. OVER 500RDS DOWN THE PIPE USING WILSON COMBAT MAGS WITH ZERO ISSUES. WAS 550 NEW. PLUS GRIPS AND WILSON 3 WILSON MAGS I HAVE UNDER 700 IN IT.

CM I KNOW YOUR GONNA HATE ON IT ;)

just realized i had caps lock on. oh well to lazy to retype.

Not at all. If you like it run it. Run it hard and smile while you are doing it.
    No knock at all but the OP did say....."The best" for that money. Just saying, not hating.........:)

You did step up to the Wilsons.............:yesway:

Oh......stop yelling at us.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    Not at all. If you like it run it. Run it hard and smile while you are doing it.
    No knock at all but the OP did say....."The best" for that money. Just saying, not hating.........:)

You did step up to the Wilsons.............:yesway:

Oh......stop yelling at us.

I didnt mean to yell. i know hearing can be sensative at older ages :): lol.

if i did it over agian i would probably do what you guys are recommending :draw:

Cbabs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    Indy
    My glock is my EDC. I would like to carry this sometimes, maybe more during the winter when I want a 45 if people are wearing a coat.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I bought a Springfield mil spec for well under $700 NIB and I've had good luck with a Remington R1S I bought for under $600. I have no direct experience with either the Ruger or STI though. The Remington is one of my favorites to shoot but I did tweak it a bit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a Springfield mil spec for well under $700 NIB and I've had good luck with a Remington R1S I bought for under $600. I have no direct experience with either the Ruger or STI though. The Remington is one of my favorites to shoot but I did tweak it a bit.

My "New" (most recent) Springer G-I was just north of $640 out the door. It shoot well enough with no love. Ran very well. Better than battle accurate at 50 yds.
    Well, my sickness/addiction kicked in after a few adult beverages and me and The Brownells catalog got real cozy. Now all that remains of the original gun is the slide and frame. I like it.

Top Bottom