• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acmetruck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2021
    Schneider
    Any thoughts on a good can for hunting? Will go on my 7mm-08 and possibly my .300 WM. (Not sure if those would require different units) Light weight, compact, not insanely expensive....

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Being one of the poors (I live on VA disability) I have only one centerfire can. My requirements were also lightweight, and compact. I went for a .30 cal can so I could use the one can on most of my rifles mounting it on it's matching muzzle devices. The devices themselves, and the attaching method then became part of the decision. I also found out that my top pick has minimal POI shift and is extremely durable, as it has been awarded military contracts. (something I also liked, being a vet)

Inexpensive, it was not, but seeing as I was only getting the one... I splurged. I got the Surefire SOCOM762-MINI2.

Being a shorty, it's not one of the "hollywood quiet" ones, but it does take quite a bit of the bark out of anything it's on. It's also good for zero flash (a big reason for the military contracts) and at leat enough suppression to distort the sound to keep the enemy guessing where the shots are coming from. In hunting use, it won't be considered "hearing safe" going by the numbers, but it does take enough of the bark away that you can shoot without having your bell rung. I can even shoot my 5.56 SBR with it. It's not .22LR pleasant, but it's infinitely better than without. The sound is lower down in octave as well as volume. Pretty sure that helps. Supersonic bullet crack is still loud as all hell.

Here it is on my Remington 700 Classic in 7mm Mauser.

7x57 with can.JPG

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Either the Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 or the SilencerCo Harvester. The Griffin is 11.8ish oz and the Harvester is 10.8. Both rated for 300 win mag

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I like the Silencerco Hybrid.
    It's a 46 caliber can, but you can buy different end caps if you want.
    I've used it on 450 bushmaster, 30-30 lever gun, a few ARs, and a glock. It's very versatile. There are rifle cans quieter, but the ability to use this on a pistol make it worth having IMO. I can't really justify owning another rifle can with this.
    ikb6L2a.jpg

JiOgg6p.jpg

Titanium700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Otisco
    As one could imagine suggestions are/will be all over the board.
    With that.
    I agree. If only getting one can get one in .30 cal
    My suggestion is based on hunting would be a 7” Thunderbeast .30 cal.
    But….it’s not cheap.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Regarding weight: rifle setup will largely determine if the suppressor feels heavy or not. A 10oz suppressor on a 24” bolt gun will feel very heavy. A 17oz suppressor on an 11” AR will feel fine.

Durability may be a factor for you as well. My hog hunting suppressors truly get abused.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    If you buy it today you will NOT get in time for hunting season THIS YEAR. And...Make sure it's legal to hunt with...
    If he doesn’t buy it today, he won’t have it for next year.
    There’s no instant gratification in the NFA world. A lot of people put it off due to the wait. If they’d have done it the first time they thought about it, they’d have been shooting suppressed for 20 years, instead of waiting for the “wait” to get better.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I just started researching hunting suppressors too. The Harvester Evo seems to fit the bill, 6.25", 10.8 oz, and rated up to .300 WM. It claims to reduce .300 WM down to 136.8 DB and lists for $699.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Yes he will. Everyone hates the wait, but it's not THAT long.
    The point I was trying to make is, not to let the wait factor into it.

The person I replied to, stated he wouldn’t have it in time for hunting season. That may, or may not be the case. If he buys now, he will have it for next years hunt.

The wait is, what it is, but it’s not a reason to avoid NFA items, like so many do.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    To the original OP. A couple questions.

What and where are you hunting?

From the rounds you mentioned, I’m guessing you’re hunting something big, and out there a good way.

I’m in Texas, and I’m basically shooting hogs, coyotes, and lots of chicken killing coons. I use .30 caliber cans that will cover your specified calibers.

My “hunting gun”, is an AR with a thermal scope. I have a Dead Air Sandman L “Long”, that lives on that gun. It’s pretty quiet as far as a rifle goes. I shoot this from my enclosed patio, while the wife is sleeping two walls away. She may or may not hear it, and ask if I got something.

I’m shooting from a tripod, and very rarely carry it on the gun very far. It weighs about 20 ounces, without looking it up. It’s not light hanging on the end of a muzzle.

There are 3 sizes of the Sandman. L, S, and K, plus a titanium version that is much lighter, but more expensive.

I own the above mentioned L, and the K. The K is nowhere near as quiet as the L, but it is much lighter, and will keep you from blowing out your ears. It lives on a 10.3” Colt 6945. The gun in my avatar.

If I’m walking a few miles, or just taking a single shot, I’ll go with the K. If I’m dumping a mag from the side by side at 30 pigs, or shooting from the porch while the wife is asleep, I’ll go with the L.

2267F614-8CD6-4640-9188-EAF4D7644F5C.jpeg

If I were to buy one suppressor, I’d go with the Sandman S. It’s in between these two, in length, weight, and sound suppression.

Good luck sir!!

gdun67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indiana
    I also use the hybrid 46. I had a few hiccups with the SilencerCo ASR mounting options. But thankfully

NyleRN

set me on the right path and i use Griffin mounting options for it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If he doesn’t buy it today, he won’t have it for next year.
    There’s no instant gratification in the NFA world. A lot of people put it off due to the wait. If they’d have done it the first time they thought about it, they’d have been shooting suppressed for 20 years, instead of waiting for the “wait” to get better.
    Your advice already cost me a safe full of cans. Haven't you done enough? :stickpoke:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I would also put a vote in for the hybrid 46. It is a nice compromise of the criteria you list. Not sure what your dB goal is but but 300WM isn't going to be whisper quiet with any can.

That being said - when I bought my first can I was told (not by KJ) to not try to buy a "one size fits all can" and to buy platform specific cans and that is exactly where I ended up.

I have a Sig 30 cal can and have been happy with its performance but the design has changed. Below is a can that I might consider. I have a YHM Turbo K and its a great can.

acmetruck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2021
    Schneider
    To the original OP. A couple questions.

What and where are you hunting?

From the rounds you mentioned, I’m guessing you’re hunting something big, and out there a good way.

I’m in Texas, and I’m basically shooting hogs, coyotes, and lots of chicken killing coons. I use .30 caliber cans that will cover your specified calibers.

My “hunting gun”, is an AR with a thermal scope. I have a Dead Air Sandman L “Long”, that lives on that gun. It’s pretty quiet as far as a rifle goes. I shoot this from my enclosed patio, while the wife is sleeping two walls away. She may or may not hear it, and ask if I got something.

I’m shooting from a tripod, and very rarely carry it on the gun very far. It weighs about 20 ounces, without looking it up. It’s not light hanging on the end of a muzzle.

There are 3 sizes of the Sandman. L, S, and K, plus a titanium version that is much lighter, but more expensive.

I own the above mentioned L, and the K. The K is nowhere near as quiet as the L, but it is much lighter, and will keep you from blowing out your ears. It lives on a 10.3” Colt 6945. The gun in my avatar.

If I’m walking a few miles, or just taking a single shot, I’ll go with the K. If I’m dumping a mag from the side by side at 30 pigs, or shooting from the porch while the wife is asleep, I’ll go with the L.

View attachment 285400

If I were to buy one suppressor, I’d go with the Sandman S. It’s in between these two, in length, weight, and sound suppression.

Good luck sir!!
    I hunt deer here in IN and elk out west. I'm not looking for whisper quiet, just a major reduction of dB.

Top Bottom