• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    About every two months the flow from our Berkey slows and I need to clean it. The filters and the upper tank (raw water) always have a scummy film that can be easily seen and felt yet the bottom tank (filtered water) is always crystal clear. I don't think I've ever cleaned it.

The only difference I see is that one side is filtered by the Berkey and the other side isn't. Obviously, this doesn't indicate anything about how well it's filtering out the things we care about but it's a good sign and I'll keep using it for the time being. I do wish Berkey would get accreditation from a reputable lab though.

Their comments about why they're not getting certified sound too similar to the comments from Ocean Gate on why they didn't get the Titin certified.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For a company that's going through some tough times their filters sure are hard to find to buy.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Be careful as Amazon mixes inventory (commingling) and one cannot be sure you are receiving genuine Berkey filters…
    I wouldn't buy berkey filters off of amazon. I was looking at their website to buy direct. Too many fraudulent sales on amazon.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

On twitter I tagged Rep Massie of Kentucky on that, he actually replied personally to thank me. His staff is going to look into it.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    This just hit my inbox today from Berkey:

Last edited:

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    This just hit my inbox today from Berkey:

Would like to see some independent testing on these before purchasing . Looks like these will be $140 pair , and the Black Berkeys are no longer available ?
    Also saw this line : BOROUX® is not affiliated with Berkey®. The BOROUX foundation.™ filters are independently developed and manufactured.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Would like to see some independent testing on these before purchasing . Looks like these will be $140 pair , and the Black Berkeys are no longer available ?
    Also saw this line : BOROUX® is not affiliated with Berkey®. The BOROUX foundation.™ filters are independently developed and manufactured.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I've been using Berkeys for over a decade. My wife started freaking because of the PF filters having aluminum in them. I haven't had time to research other options.

My dad just called me this morning and said he bought a couple more sets and mentioned this other name. I'll be interested to see what he says about them!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I am puzzled. I thought with the Berkey black filters one could go to the river, put water in the to and drink it out the bottom. Saw this on the new filter page:

“Do not use with water that is microbiologically unsafe or of unknown quality without adequate disinfection before or after the system.”

WTF? I still need to boil it? BS! That is not what I want. I want a filter to use instead of boiling. Was my understanding of the old black filters wrong?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What is going on here?

From Berkey:

Last edited:

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    This is the government overreach that also tells us that natural remedies that have worked for centuries are "unsafe" and the vaccine is the only course to save humanity and they are "safe and effective". Hydroxychloroquine is for horses and it isn't safe and won't work, eventhough before and now after the plandemic tell us it works. They want everyone dependent on the government or some grocery store to buy water that is owned by only one of several corporations owned by the elite. Any government entity that tells me something isn't safe makes me question it. Rant over.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I am puzzled. I thought with the Berkey black filters one could go to the river, put water in the to and drink it out the bottom. Saw this on the new filter page:

“Do not use with water that is microbiologically unsafe or of unknown quality without adequate disinfection before or after the system.”

WTF? I still need to boil it? BS! That is not what I want. I want a filter to use instead of boiling. Was my understanding of the old black filters wrong?
    I am in agreement with you ........I read that part also . It looks like ( from cbhausen`s link ) that the new ones address all the heavy metals you could think of , but nothing microbiologically unsafe . I am more interested in filtering out virus and bacterial related .
    After reading several stories , I am not sold on the Black Berkeys ( and we have several ) performing as claimed .
    We use one daily , but have never used or tried it with pond type water just to see if we don`t get sick .
    If forced , I suppose we will boil and add our bleach stock solution for now ?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I thought the only way to remove biologics from water was to either sterilize it with UV, chemicals or via reverse osmosis.

HOW TO REMOVE BACTERIA FROM WATER USING UV STERILIZATION

Where the water is already clean and does not need further purification, Pure Aqua recommends the use of UV sterilizers. The reason why this is important at the tail end of the process is that it does not remove particles or any organisms in the water. Instead, it only works to kill them. UV sterilizers have been floated by experts as the most effective when it comes to destroying bacteria in water treatment. The use of UV sterilizers is cost-effective, fast, safe, chemical free, fool-proof and quite easy to use.

How To Remove Bacteria From Water Using Reverse Osmosis

One of the leading water purification technologies is reverse osmosis. This is attributed to its desalination ability and effectiveness in the removal of all impurities in water. The technology is based on the use of high pressure and permeable membranes designed to only let water through as it blocks all other foreign substances.

How To Remove Bacteria From Water Using Nanofiltration Technology

Unlike ultrafiltration that has a pore size of somewhere close to 0.01 microns, a nanofiltration filter has much smaller ones at 0.001 microns, making it an effective method of removing molecules, viruses, salts, and ions, known for making water hard. That is why nanofiltration is often used in cases where the water to be purified is hard.

Top Bottom