• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Well, as some folks know I am a big revolver fan, and recently acquired a S&W Model 66. A really, really nice gun, very accurate, sweet trigger, I was in hog heaven. There was only one gun I wanted more, and that was a Beretta Model 92. I absolutely loved the M9 when I carried it, and loved my personal M92 I carried off duty. These are the only semi-autos I trust as much as a revolver to always work for me, based on experience. I have never had a malfunction with a Beretta M9/92. Not one. Carried them in jungles, deserts, and in frozen Alaska. On patrol, and on Emergency Services Team callouts and training, during IPSC competition. It was always there for me, and always worked every time. They are accurate, smooth, and I think absolutely gorgeous.
    Anyway, I encounted someone who wanted to trade their M92FS for my S&W M66, and made the trade. I'm a little surprised, because I'm revolverless now, but this Beretta just feels right on my hip, and in my hands. Even after all these years, it feels like an extension of me. This is going to be my gun for a looooong time to come. I've been bothering Cathy for a Beretta and drooling over them every time I've seen one on a dealer shelf, so she's relieved that I'll finally be shut up about them LOL.
    I just realized last night that despite not really trying to do so, we've chosen the same guns to defend our home and family that have defended our nation for almost a hundred years. I think that's kind of cool. I'll admit Cathy's RIA 1911 isn't a Colt, but same concept :)
    My Beretta 92FS and Cathy's RIA 1911A1 Government Model
    Defenders001.jpg

Defenders004.jpg

My Beretta with my old Safariland holsters that I wore on duty. They Air Force issued the Bianchi 99A Border Patrol holster that I didn't particularly care for. It rode to low, and in the car it dug into both the seat and my side. It was a very fast draw, but offered no real retention features, and I actually had the gun come flying out once during EST exercises into deep snow in Alaska. That sucked!!! So, I wrangled permission to carry a couple of Safariland holsters. These things are almost 20 years old, and still look great. The paddle holster is the only paddle holster I've ever liked, and is what I carried my old Beretta in, and what is sitting on my side as I type. I've got the belt, too, but it seems to have shrunk over the years :D
    Defenders007.jpg

Defenders009.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There is something addictive to the Beretta 92. Once you really get to know them, you just have to keep one, then two, then three...

Enjoy yours!!!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Good find... although the M66 is a great gun, You found something you are both comforitable and trained on.... good deal had by all.

The M66 was pretty much the same as the S&W M15 we carried before transitioning to the M9. I've got a real soft spot in my heart for revolvers, but even they can't compare to my love for the M92 family :)

Cathy is rolling her eyes because I'm already picking out my next S&W 19/66/15 LMAO!! Like she's any different when it comes to picking out her next gun. I'm actually thinking, though, of going for a six incher for target use. Though a four incher is mighty handy in the woods, with it's ability to handle snake shot well. I've never actually tried it through a Beretta.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Got it out shooting today. Put about 300 rounds through it, flawless performance, as usual from the M92s, and extremely accurate. We were shooting from about 10 yards, 1 inch groups the norm with a variety of handloads and factory ammo. Right now my carry ammo is handloaded 147 gr Hornady XTPs, and they turned in 3/4" groups. Gun shoots to point of aim, same sweetheart I remember from before. I couldn't be happier :) Shot 124 gr Remington JHP reloads, the 147 gr Hornady XTP JHPs, 147 gr cast flatpoint handloads, some 125 gr roundnose handloads, 124 grain truncated cone copper plated Berry's Mfg. handloads, and 115 gr Remington FMJs. The Beretta shot 'em all beautifully. Wanted to play with my chronograph, but decided not to because it was pretty windy, and I was afraid my chronograph would get blown around while we were shooting. I REALLY don't want to blow up my Chrony!
    My wife shot it, she liked it.... but still not as well as her .45 LOL. My best friend and his wife shot it, and both are deeply in love. I hadn't realized that Rick never qualified with the M9 before he got out of the service, and had never handled a Beretta, and neither had Jamie. She is looking for a gun, and being a fellow revolver fan was feeling betrayed that I had left the fold. Now, though, she is saving for a Beretta LOL. There is just something about driving one hit after another into the same spot that makes someone fall in love with gun :D
    Cathy continues to impress with her .45. She does alright with my Beretta, but she can make that .45 just sing!
    We had our camera to shoot some videos, but forgot it in the trunk. Missed some that I would like to have had, too :( Sean shot a .45 for the first time today. He was all scared, because we'd told him it kicked harder than 9mms or .38s, but I promised him that if I thought it would hurt him or that he couldn't handle it I wouldn't let him shoot it. So he asked if he could shoot just one round. Fired it off, and turned with a big ole grin on his face saying he liked it and could he fire more. Turns out he takes after Momma, and a .45 is just made for him. He just kept drilling the center of the target. I was so proud!
    We also bought some cantaloupes, and blew them up. Despite shooting for a number of years, we've never shot at a place where we could demo for Sean exactly what these hollowpoints can do. It's very instructive for a kid to say "You wanna see why we all work so hard on safety? Pretend this is Mommy's head." The check the look on his face when the melon gets blown to pieces.
    Between the 9mm, .45, the .22s, and Ricks .357 we went through somewhere between 600-700 rounds today. Lots of fun, and a very good day... shooting before and after Easter dinner with our best friends, followed up with a couple good card games. Only problem now is going to be hunting down primers so I can replace all the ammo we shot today!

Last edited:

varmint101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Nice. I love the 92FS. Flawless. Great trigger, awesome accuracy.

May not sound like much, but with mine at 20yds I can regularly hit the end of a shotgun shell with Winchester WB ammo using it SA. That's good for me. I have Hogue grips on mine too.

Congrats on a good trade! Sounds like some dang good shooting with the .45, too.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I shoot 92s in ipsc and idpa.
    My practice gun has at least 120,000 rounds through it and runs like a clock. I never clean it more often than 10k rounds, often closer to 20k (though every 1k or so I'll put a drop of oil on each wing of the locking block from the top of the slide). I've had to replace a couple of parts over the years, but no big deal.

The new-style locking blocks will run a LONG time without a problem.

enjoy with confidence and pump rounds through it.

Use factory or mec-gar mags only.

-rvb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    I own a Beretta 950 Jet fire stainless, 950 Jet fire blue, 3032 Tomcat stainless, 92FS , 96G police only with the P.D. box, night sights, L.E. marked hi-cap mags and love them all. None of them have ever jammed and are all very accurate.:twocents::yesway:

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Southport
    When i first looked at the 92, i didn't think i would like it. I went ahead and bought the D model, found it is very accurate, however it has more felt recoil than my 3in Colt Officers model in 45 ACP, using Winchester factory rounds in both.

Top Bottom