• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • streetsamurai7

Dungeon Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    I built my first AR-15 pistol last week, and had a great time doing so. Nothing fancy, just a Palmetto State classic kit. I was wondering, what are the benefits of going the SBR route? Would it be mostly to allow me to put a regular stock and vertical grip on it, should I want to? Looking for some insight here on the benefits, and if it is worth it for the AR-15 platform in particular.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    you'll get a lot of differing views here.

The benefits of SBR are knowing that you aren't subject to the ATF deciding that the brace thing is illegal and being a felon overnight. You can also put a vertical foregrip. And yes, you can put an actual stock on the rifle.

The downside of course is the $200 you have to pay to be legal. You also need to register the receiver as a short barreled rifle, and may not be able to travel to different states with the rifle. There are some ramifications if you intend to sell the receiver in the future. Some might also say you're letting the ATF know that you have an SBR and where to come find it in the event all firearms are deemed illegal.

I would personally go ahead and get the $200 tax stamp. I've done it on another project that I wanted for a truck rifle. But if you are new to the concept you should definitely read different articles and probably consult different legal minds.

streetsamurai7

Dungeon Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    you'll get a lot of differing views here.

The benefits of SBR are knowing that you aren't subject to the ATF deciding that the brace thing is illegal and being a felon overnight. You can also put a vertical foregrip. And yes, you can put an actual stock on the rifle.

The downside of course is the $200 you have to pay to be legal. You also need to register the receiver as a short barreled rifle, and may not be able to travel to different states with the rifle. There are some ramifications if you intend to sell the receiver in the future. Some might also say you're letting the ATF know that you have an SBR and where to come find it in the event all firearms are deemed illegal.

I would personally go ahead and get the $200 tax stamp. I've done it on another project that I wanted for a truck rifle. But if you are new to the concept you should definitely read different articles and probably consult different legal minds.
    This is good advice, this is what I was looking for, thank you.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    In my opinion, I would not bother converting to a SBR unless you are planning on having other NFA items like silencers or machine guns. Like the other member mentioned, if you mainly stay in state, SBRs are fine. If you plan to bring your toy across state lines a few times a year, then you are probably creating more paperwork than it is worth by converting to a SBR. To convert to a SBR, you have to pay the $200 tax stamp, and get passport photos, and get ink fingerprints on FBI fingerprint cards, and get your lower reciever engraved, so it ends up costing around $300 total on top of what you already spent on your pistol.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    In my opinion, I would not bother converting to a SBR unless you are planning on having other NFA items like silencers or machine guns. Like the other member mentioned, if you mainly stay in state, SBRs are fine. If you plan to bring your toy across state lines a few times a year, then you are probably creating more paperwork than it is worth by converting to a SBR. To convert to a SBR, you have to pay the $200 tax stamp, and get passport photos, and get ink fingerprints on FBI fingerprint cards, and get your lower reciever engraved, so it ends up costing around $300 total on top of what you already spent on your pistol.
    But like you said, for some of us that isn't a big deal. I have 4 sbr's, and I don't mind the 5320.20 if I travel, or I can take a 16" rifle if time matters.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Don't forget engraving and 922r if that applies to your gun.

I've got a SP5 that I want to SBR, but I can't get the 922r parts I want, so I haven't. I'm really kind of hoping that someone gets a 'letter' approving a mod to make them sear ready.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Don't forget engraving and 922r if that applies to your gun.

I've got a SP5 that I want to SBR, but I can't get the 922r parts I want, so I haven't. I'm really kind of hoping that someone gets a 'letter' approving a mod to make them sear ready.
    My understanding of 922R, and based on MAC's recent video on the Polish Tantel pistol, is that 922R applies to the importation of rifles only and not pistols.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    What are the current thoughts on sbr in the current political climate?
    my thoughts are really unchanged. If anything I'd be more inclined to do an SBR/SBS now for fear that they'll be outright illegal in a few months.

I think if the government really wanted to find a list of gunowners, they would. Or, they would make it mandatory to register all firearms with a penalty like 10 years in prison if you didn't comply. In that case we'd all be screwed.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My understanding of 922R, and based on MAC's recent video on the Polish Tantel pistol, is that 922R applies to the importation of rifles only and not pistols.
    Wait, A Tantal pistol? You sure you don't mean a Beryl pistol? (which is basically the mini-Beryl) ... which I just got an ad for one and I needz it! My Beryl wants a baby brother.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Wait, A Tantal pistol? You sure you don't mean a Beryl pistol? (which is basically the mini-Beryl) ... which I just got an ad for one and I needz it! My Beryl wants a baby brother.
    Brain fart. Yes, the Beryl. I watched MAC's review last night and the lack of a way to easily add a brace or SBR with a stock kills it for me. It should at a minimum be drilled and tapped for Ace style adapters.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Brain fart. Yes, the Beryl. I watched MAC's review last night and the lack of a way to easily add a brace or SBR with a stock kills it for me. It should at a minimum be drilled and tapped for Ace style adapters.
    I'll have to dig up that video. FWIW, I isn't Atlantic selling adaptors?

I've got a Beryl folder that would be perfect for that in SBR config.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    They were selling rear trunions which could take a stock. So you would have to grind off rivets, pull the old trunion, etc. Pistols are out of stock already.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Nope, you are the 'maker' of the SBR and 922r applies. It doesn't apply to pistols, but when you turn at pistol into a rifle, it then applies.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Nope, you are the 'maker' of the SBR and 922r applies. It doesn't apply to pistols, but when you turn at pistol into a rifle, it then applies.
    Except 922r has to do with importation not manufacturing I thought. Either way, we can all agree it is silly.

Top Bottom