Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I kind of thought what they were doing was pretty similar. Are you referring to analytics in any way?
    Primarily using technical analysis of historical prices (which is essentially evaluating patterns in charts) as apposed to valuation fundamentals. You can day trade either way.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    RE: Day trading - guys spend alot of time to study blackjack/poker/craps/horse racing and become professional gamblers in Vegas. They play all the time. They study their game of choice. Some of them make good money. It is still a job that factors in random luck. (For me, no thanks.)

To me, that's functionally the same as day trading. To be any good at it, it needs to be your job, not a hobby. If that's what people want to do, great.

RE: France - yeah, Europe is getting hit relatively hard again, by their standards. Vaccinations aren't rolling out as quickly as here (I think). Perhaps more importantly, their tolerance for infections/deaths is lower than ours. (No value judgement, just an observation.) Even Canada, which has lower numbers even proportionately, appears to be locking down tighter than we are.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    RE: Day trading - guys spend alot of time to study blackjack/poker/craps/horse racing and become professional gamblers in Vegas. They play all the time. They study their game of choice. Some of them make good money. It is still a job that factors in random luck. (For me, no thanks.)

To me, that's functionally the same as day trading. To be any good at it, it needs to be your job, not a hobby. If that's what people want to do, great.

RE: France - yeah, Europe is getting hit relatively hard again, by their standards. Vaccinations aren't rolling out as quickly as here (I think). Perhaps more importantly, their tolerance for infections/deaths is lower than ours. (No value judgement, just an observation.) Even Canada, which has lower numbers even proportionately, appears to be locking down tighter than we are.

Highlighted part QFT.

I think France is making a mistake by locking things down. We've had some pretty big outbreaks even in heavily shut down areas. It's like with the masks. If you're not going ALL THE WAY with it, you might as well not require it at all. And you can't shut EVERYTHING down. You can't enforce 100% mask compliance AND effective mask usage. It's just impractical. So if you can't do it all the way, and you can't, then don't do it at all. It's ridiculous for people to claim that the pandemic is going on needlessly, that we could just end it but for the non-conformers.

But I don't care about France (Sorry Sylvan, nothing personal). France has their own people to worry about. I care about the policies here that affect me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    An article on France. From other reports I have read and heard, it's more of a regional rise than national. Hard to tell from this article which is heavily focused on the feelz, and not so much the numbers.

It's sad reading about people begging the government to restrict them even more so than it already has been.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It not like we don't have plenty of problems to deal with here at home.
    So, first, I absolutely agree with that. Our policies should reflect efforts to solve the problems we face, first and foremost. (On a sidenote, we are the most generous country in the world - probably in history - but part of the reason for that is that we can afford to be.)

But, it can be useful to look abroad for signs of trouble. Sure, Europe is having problems, but Brazil is reporting crazy numbers. Almost 4k dead yesterday. And that's just what they know of. The poor parts of Brazil have almost no meaningful infrastructure. People die in favelas and, other than the immediate family, no one knows or cares.

Per 1M in population, They've done 1/10th of the testing as we have, have identified 2/3 the number of cases that we have, and suffered 90% the number of our deaths. But I don't believe they are even as accurate as we are in deaths (for whatever that is worth).

Their political system isn't exactly stable, either.

So, if there was a significant country that I would think was greatest at risk from real tumult from this pandemic, it would be Brazil at this point.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Short Indiana update.

Cases are going back up a bit, but deaths are still dropping. Here's hoping that the deaths stay down in a couple of weeks as deaths follow cases, but delayed...unless there is something that has altered the death rate in which the death rate could stay low or drop even as cases increase.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, first, I absolutely agree with that. Our policies should reflect efforts to solve the problems we face, first and foremost. (On a sidenote, we are the most generous country in the world - probably in history - but part of the reason for that is that we can afford to be.)

But, it can be useful to look abroad for signs of trouble. Sure, Europe is having problems, but Brazil is reporting crazy numbers. Almost 4k dead yesterday. And that's just what they know of. The poor parts of Brazil have almost no meaningful infrastructure. People die in favelas and, other than the immediate family, no one knows or cares.

Per 1M in population, They've done 1/10th of the testing as we have, have identified 2/3 the number of cases that we have, and suffered 90% the number of our deaths. But I don't believe they are even as accurate as we are in deaths (for whatever that is worth).

Their political system isn't exactly stable, either.

So, if there was a significant country that I would think was greatest at risk from real tumult from this pandemic, it would be Brazil at this point.
    Our testing per 1M is 1223334, so that would mean they were at 122333 per 1M tests

Our cases per 1M are at 94358, so that would put them at 62905 per 1M

Our deaths are at 1711 per 1M, so they would be at 1540 per 1M

That makes their CFR 1540/62905 = 0.0245 or 2.45%

And their positivity rate would be 62905/122333 = 0.514 or 51.4%

Germany, which used to be held forth as an example of 'getting it right' has a CFR of 2.71% and a positivity rate of 5.66%

So Brazil has a better CFR than a 1st world country, and arguably they are an order of magnitude closer to herd immunity. I'm not sure they are the horror show that is being made out to be

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Our testing per 1M is 1223334, so that would mean they were at 122333 per 1M tests

Our cases per 1M are at 94358, so that would put them at 62905 per 1M

Our deaths are at 1711 per 1M, so they would be at 1540 per 1M

That makes their CFR 1540/62905 = 0.0245 or 2.45%

And their positivity rate would be 62905/122333 = 0.514 or 51.4%

Germany, which used to be held forth as an example of 'getting it right' has a CFR of 2.71% and a positivity rate of 5.66%

So Brazil has a better CFR than a 1st world country, and arguably they are an order of magnitude closer to herd immunity. I'm not sure they are the horror show that is being made out to be

You do realize you are not helping the panic creation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom