• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There have been 11 US school shootings this year. Is it time to arm teachers? - BBC News

Kinda not what I was expecting. :)

They never actually ANSWER the question posed in the article. But, they spill a significant amount of pixels covering the actual movement towards arming teachers.

Now, of course, they close with the negative position. But, I'm ok with that. The fact that they are framing the headline around the notion of arming teachers, and spend time covering the thought process in favor of it, that's a mainstreaming win for gun rights.

All the more since teachers in England don't have the option.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I already posted a link to that article in that thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/448415-five-students-shot-kentucky-high-school-2.html

I wasn't sure it needed its own thread.

Ah - interesting. :)

Well, I did post it new, as it signals the continuing shift to the mainstream of the idea arming good people to shoot bad people.

And, those school shooting threads are pretty depressing after awhile. I can't read all of them or stay updated on them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Ah - interesting. :)

Well, I did post it new, as it signals the continuing shift to the mainstream of the idea arming good people to shoot bad people.

And, those school shooting threads are pretty depressing after awhile. I can't read all of them or stay updated on them.

The BBC has more somewhat pro-gun articles than US newspapers it seams.

Around Christmas there was an article about Americans who buy guns as gifts for Christmas and why it's a thing over there.
    I was surprised by the absence of anti-gun propaganda.
    They just explained the facts and didn't even blame the NRA for school shootings.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the location (school) and the method (gun) of violence makes at better or worse than if the location and method was different. Is a disgruntled kid shooting another kid worse or better than than same kid stabbing someone behind the 7-11?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the location (school) and the method (gun) of violence makes at better or worse than if the location and method was different. Is a disgruntled kid shooting another kid worse or better than than same kid stabbing someone behind the 7-11?

Probably due to higher casualties with a gun but I ain't going to fund a study

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Probably due to higher casualties with a gun but I ain't going to fund a study

That's not even true.

Stabbings in schools are common in countries with strict gun laws, like China (also common in Europe).
    They often have dozens of victims, often more than victims of gun violence in US schools.

You can stab people all day long with a knife without needing more ammo, plus it's doesn't make a loud noise so usually it takes a while for people to even realize a knife attack is happening.

Plus knives are way easier and cheaper to get compared to guns.You can buy one for $1 at Walmart.

On 14 December 2012 between 7 and 8 a.m. local time, a 36-year-old villager identified as Min Yongjun stabbed 24 people, including 23 children and an elderly woman, in a knife attack at Chenpeng Village PrimarySchool

A series of uncoordinated mass stabbings, hammer attacks, and cleaver attacks in the People's Republic of China began in March 2010. The spate of attacks left at least 25 dead and some 115 injured.

Of course those knife attacks are rarely reported in US media even when dozens of kids are killed.
    But if one kid gets shot you can be sure it will make the headline and they will blame the NRA for it.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    11 school shootings indeed.

From the Wall Street Journal, Jan 26, 2018. I could provide a link, but you'd have to be a subscriber and have an acct.
    Quoting from "A 'School Shooting' with a Pellet Gun" by Daniel Lee, Indianapolis

"A New York Times story, cited as a source in several other press accounts, opens by stacking several incidents into an ominous edifice of schoolyard violence....Yet a closer look at the statistics tells a different story. Here are several of the incidents, which were drawn from the database of the gun-control group Everytown for Gun Safety:

A school bus window was broken by a pellet gun in Forest City, IA.
    A gun was accidentally discharged in a weapons class at a Denison, Texas community college.
    A vehicle that pulled into a parking lot at Wiley College in Texas, at 2 a.m. struck a wall, and someone inside fired shots apparently at random before fleeing the scene.
    A shot from off campus struck a building at Cal State, San Bernardino at around 6:00pm.
    A 14-yr-old Arizonan committed suicide without threatening anyone else.
    A veteran with PTSD shot himself in the parking lot of a closed Michigan school. No students were present."

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    11 school shootings indeed.

From the Wall Street Journal, Jan 26, 2018. I could provide a link, but you'd have to be a subscriber and have an acct.
    Quoting from "A 'School Shooting' with a Pellet Gun" by Daniel Lee, Indianapolis

"A New York Times story, cited as a source in several other press accounts, opens by stacking several incidents into an ominous edifice of schoolyard violence....Yet a closer look at the statistics tells a different story. Here are several of the incidents, which were drawn from the database of the gun-control group Everytown for Gun Safety:

A school bus window was broken by a pellet gun in Forest City, IA.
    A gun was accidentally discharged in a weapons class at a Denison, Texas community college.
    A vehicle that pulled into a parking lot at Wiley College in Texas, at 2 a.m. struck a wall, and someone inside fired shots apparently at random before fleeing the scene.
    A shot from off campus struck a building at Cal State, San Bernardino at around 6:00pm.
    A 14-yr-old Arizonan committed suicide without threatening anyone else.
    A veteran with PTSD shot himself in the parking lot of a closed Michigan school. No students were present."

When all you care about is making "x number of school shootings since y" the most alarming headline possible, suddenly any incident involving something vaguely gunlike at a place vaguely associated with schools becomes a "school shooting". They're counting on dumb people reading that, thinking "Oh my god there have been 11 Columbines this year!", and getting angry enough to support confiscation. Lying with statistics!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27aWHudLmgs

An interesting theory on where school shootings come from.
    This gets echoed in Lt Col. Grossbaum's comments on video games, and you can say the same thing about the crap from hollyweird in general.

I think there is a distinction to made between interpersonal violence that is nothing new and indiscriminate mass killing--a distinction that the anti-gun lobby deliberately blurs/erases. I think the media obsession with violence with guns and the anti-gun agenda (which they support) help create a self fulling prophecy that they can then point to, to demand more anti-gun laws AND inspire more aberrant individuals.

Aside from the political agenda the media and the Shannon watts are advancing, part of the reason that mass killing gets their attention--in schools or out--is because it's terrorism even if it's without an ideology. It used to be that kids getting beaten, stabbed, or shot, in/around school was an inner city phenomenon which didn't directly affect them. Columbine changed that so now they're extra motivated because it's about the...THEIR children. But, the talking heads and the Shannon watts, are superficial, shallow thinkers, and get don't past "ban more guns"

Top Bottom