Last edited:

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    I have a dewalt 20 volt weedeater.
    Because I use alot of dewalt 20v hand tools.
    This weedeater is BAD@$$!!!!
    Not under powered at all and runs plenty long enough on one battery.
    Have had it for three years with no problems,used several times a week at all my properties.
    If it died,I would buy another ASAP!

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    If your going for a outdoor system separate from your tool system, the stihl or echo are top end. But they are the most expensive. And a stand alone patflorm. I have used both and they better than tool battery ones for sure.

But I have had dewalt 20v stuff for a long time. And have many 60v tools and batteries. When it comes time to replace my 2 stroke echo trimmer that is the route I will be going. My free push mower has finally crapped out. Will be getting a dewalt battery push mower to replace it for the places my tractor cant fit.

My father bought the 40v dewalt stuff many years ago and still running them now. They have since discounted the line for the 60v/20v system

I literally tell every non tradesmen home owner to get the milwaukee 12v system. As most 12v tools are more than enough for any home owner. The milwaukee 18v chargers will charge the 12v batteries too. The milwaukee 18v string trimmer also has different attachments. Pole saw, hedge trimmer and edger.

Last edited:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I have a dewalt 20 volt weedeater.
    Because I use alot of dewalt 20v hand tools.
    This weedeater is BAD@$$!!!!
    Not under powered at all and runs plenty long enough on one battery.
    Have had it for three years with no problems,used several times a week at all my properties.
    If it died,I would buy another ASAP!
    I’m very similar here, except I have Menards Masterforce 20v tools. I don’t make a living with mine and they’ve done all I need them to do for piddling about the house.

For the outdoor tools, I have the trimmer and the leaf blower. They work just fine for me on my little patch of grass, but if you are an amateur landscaper they might run just a little shy on battery capacity for you.

I did pick up a Stihl battery powered chainsaw a couple years ago and it has been great. If I had to do it again, I’d get the leaf blower and trimmer from Stihl with the 60?/80? (Don’t remember which one I have) volt battery. Since those types of battery-powered devices run for longer intervals than say, a drill or a circular saw, I feel like those bigger batteries perform those duties better.

But, like I said, if you’re doing just a little bit of trimming and blowing (hehe) my 20v tools have worked just fine. I’ve never “needed” more power.

1651800303524.gif

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I have the Milwaukee trimmer. Works very well, and I didn't have to buy any batteries because I have 5 or 6 batteries for a drill, impact wrenches, angle grinder, etc. Now we have the leaf blower also. For the trimmer, battery life is pretty short. I think if you have a farm or a lot of trimming to do you should probably stick with the gas-powered ones.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have the Milwaukee trimmer. Works very well, and I didn't have to buy any batteries because I have 5 or 6 batteries for a drill, impact wrenches, angle grinder, etc. Now we have the leaf blower also. For the trimmer, battery life is pretty short. I think if you have a farm or a lot of trimming to do you should probably stick with the gas-powered ones.
    10 acres here. Only gas I still use is my ZT mower. My 2.5Ah battery will be good for 30-45 minutes of trimming

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

What do you think of the blower?

The blower wasn't a thought until mentioned above. I might actually sweep the tree crap off my deck, porch and walkways a lot more frequently, if I didn't have to wind and unwind the damned cord.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    We went with Ego, have their string trimmer and blower. Zero complaints with either, trim a lot around our property and sometimes clearing weeds.

I will also say a lot depends on your expected use. Before moving here, we had less heavy duty need and had a 20v black and decker. It shockingly did a great job and still ran great after many years, just did not have the torque or size we need now.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I mow a little over 3 acers, but have a guy do my weed eating. He showed up with a new Milwaukee Fuel 18V weed eater. He was busy for just under an hour on one battery. I held it and it wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be. We already have a Stihl gas Kombi system with four tool attachments, but if I were to invest in a battery weed eater I am sure I would get a Milwaukee since I have a Milwaukee Fuel grease gun, 1/2" impact gun and 3/8" ratchet with good results.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, this complicates things even further...

What do the EGO trimmer owners think of the powerload line loading feature?

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My EGO string trimmer has been great. I’m sure I’ll get the push mower next. It’s about $750 with a 10 amp hour battery if I recall correctly.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    My EGO string trimmer has been great. I’m sure I’ll get the push mower next. It’s about $750 with a 10 amp hour battery if I recall correctly.
    I have the Power head with trimmer and edger attachments and a blower with a 5 Ah battery. I have about a third of an acre but a fence and lots of things to trim around. I can edge my yard, trim everywhere I need to and blow off the walk and the driveway without charging my battery. When my gas mower dies ( a 20 year old Toro) I will likely replace it with the ego 10 Ah mower.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Well, this complicates things even further...

What do the EGO trimmer owners think of the powerload line loading feature?

Frickin awesome. I cut a piece of line, pull it through the head, push a button, and it loads the line. No more taking the head off and trying to wind new line around the head and get it back on without the line loosening and getting tangled.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not just for OP...

But partly this decision can be made based on what else you currently own.

Have a stable of battery-operated power tools already? Then go with that brand because you're already invested in batteries AND chargers.

If starting fresh... Then basically it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

I'm also sure there are "hacks" one can do to use other system's batteries in another brand's implements - but that'll probably void all warranties. But if you buy something used / second hand and there's no battery - it may be worth researching.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not just for OP...

But partly this decision can be made based on what else you currently own.

Have a stable of battery-operated power tools already? Then go with that brand because you're already invested in batteries AND chargers.

If starting fresh... Then basically it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

I'm also sure there are "hacks" one can do to use other system's batteries in another brand's implements - but that'll probably void all warranties. But if you buy something used / second hand and there's no battery - it may be worth researching.

Part of what plays on my mind is all of the various battery tools laying around here that have been accumulated over the years. They vary from moderately priced stuff to cheap. A lot of these tools have plenty of use/life left in them, but for having unique or obsolete battery systems that are tired or dead.

I am thinking that centralizing around the Milwaukee battery system might be a plus going forward?

I thought I found a good deal and was about to pull the trigger on a Home Depot purchase. A Milwaukee trimmer/Blower combo without battery. They have a free battery with purchase and free shipping that would get it here Monday, so I was ready. Until it occurred to me that there was no charger. :n00b:

EGO may be a better enough value that the battery centralizing issue gets voted out? I am concerned with the Amazon warranty thing though and have grown quite used to click, click ship convenience. I don't want to go to a store, if not completely necessary.

Top Bottom