• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Need help finding a decent battery charger that works for lead acid batteries for car and lawn mowers

I have had a couple (names I forget at the moment) that lasted maybe 18 months. Lost receipt so can’t exchange it.

Also interested in a trickle charger for the lawn mower. Does not seem to stay charged.

Thanks

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    CTEK 7002

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Funny story. At my moms and her riding lawnmower battery was low so I searched and found a box from Kmart. New but how old battery charger. It was new in the box. So back up charger.
    I have a Schumacher charger that does a good job of not in a hurry ( bought a lithium jumper pack for that). It has 3 setting for battery size and type of battery. It’s light and it works

I need to get a bigger one as in a roll around one
    Battery tender is a great brand and Schumacher makes a good one that you can buy extra leads and hard wire to batteries.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I use BatteryMinders. They trickle charge and maintain batteries as well as having anti-sulfation mode.

They have restored slightly sulfated batteries for me, but they can only do so much.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    This category definitely qualifies for "they don't make 'em like they used too'.
    Buy a mechanical, not digital, if at all possible. This might be less relevant the less heavy duty you need, and the less you roughhouse it for sure.
    I want an amp gauge, so I can see what's going on, not just a "trust me" digital readout that means nothing.
    I finally broke down and bought Associated, ended up with 2 of them, one is 24 volts for one machine I have and they are excellent. Hands down the best.
    I think their entry level is $300ish, with mechanical timers.
    Got along good with Napa until they went digital.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Battery Tender is a solid line that has been around for a long time. I use several of them and over the last few years I've started using some BatteryMinders as well. They are a little more expensive but do a little more for the batteries as well. In the winter time I have 13 batteries on maintainers at any one time. They really extend the life of a battery, especially those that aren't used on a regular basis.

Remember, these are battery maintainers, not chargers. Use them on a good battery and that battery will last a long time.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Side note; a lot of folks say don’t set your battery directly on concrete, it will go bad. Subsequent internet searches and a few years of doing it have proved that wrong. So why do so many believe that? The element of truth is that old batteries had wooden cases, so warning here, if you have a wooden case battery don’t set it on gravel or concrete for storage…

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Small lawn and garden and motorsports batteries suck. They just do. I have replaced those more than any other lead acid battery I own.

The old school 6 volt battery in my vintage tractor starts right up after sitting all winter. The one in my JD lawn tractor had been sitting for 3 years when I got the tractor that had been abandoned in 2014. I charged it the first time I started the tractor back then and it still starts every time.

Those little batteries? I'm going on my third for a Kart we've owned for 2 years and went through 3 in 4 years for my motorcycle.

Anyway, Schumacher. I have a small one that charges at 1.5 amps (leisurely) and also maintains long term. I also have a larger 2/10/50 amp one. No complaints.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    CTEK 7002

After reading up on chargers online till my eyes hurt I bought one of these. I have WAY too many batteries and I think this charger has brought a few back that would not hold charge and I have not lost any good ones in the 4 or 5 years since I bought it. I rotate it through the herd when they are dormant on the regen cycle. I also have several 20 plus year old chargers that I use. To cover all the bases buy one high tech charger and another old one at the neighbors yard sale

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    After reading up on chargers online till my eyes hurt I bought one of these. I have WAY too many batteries and I think this charger has brought a few back that would not hold charge and I have not lost any good ones in the 4 or 5 years since I bought it. I rotate it through the herd when they are dormant on the regen cycle. I also have several 20 plus year old chargers that I use. To cover all the bases buy one high tech charger and another old one at the neighbors yard sale
    The snowflake mode is the top feature IMO Best charger I have ever owned and you can carry it in one hand

Top Bottom