• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunslinger762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have a vepr 308 20.5" barrel I want to cut down to 17" and then thread for a muzzle break. The barrel is fluted and cutting will take the location of the threading into the fluted area of the barrel. I believe the strength of the barrel should still be fine but im guessing.

I would like to hear opinions or actual experience in knowing if this will compromise barrel strength.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    The biggest issue you may have, depending on depth of the flutes, is the diameter may not be big enough within the flutes to get the correct thread O.D.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I had Allen here do my ar barrel it was a 20 inch diamond fluted barrel. It got into the fluting a bit because of the target crown. Yes you can tell but without using a crush washer on it, it looks just fine. Measure the diameter of what your putting on it and the barrel. Then think about how deep the thread need to be. Most likely will be slightly off but it can be done and look fine.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    As said already you need to make sure that you have 5/8 of an inch of barrel in the depths of the flutes for a typical 308 thread. Although if you're just using it for a flash hider or comp the threads could skip a little and still be fine. Might even be ok for a suppressor.
    Hardest part about it is getting the barrel out of the receiver to do what you're wanting to do

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As said, it's best if you have a full 5/8" diameter at the bottom of the flutes. That being said, I don't think an interrupted thread will be a problem. You will have to be VERY careful not to cross-thread EVERY SINGLE TIME you put something on. Regarding strength though, most firearms muzzle attachments are not even close to the thread strength so even with an interrupted thread you won't have any problems with strength.

Top Bottom