• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I am getting a Ruger M77 22-250 with a standard barrel. I was wanting to put a heavy barrel on it but am unable to find anything online. Anyone know if you can even swap barrels on these? If it is possible, is this something I can do or would I need to take it to a gunsmith?

I know some of you are thinking that I just need to buy a model with the heavy barrel but Im getting it from a family member that is giving it to me and said I can pay them little a at a time to pay it off.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I called Ruger and they were no help. They said they would only re-barrel it with the tapered barrel and they wouldnt tell me any aftermarket options. A-holes!

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    They are threaded 1"-16, just like a Model 70 - there are no "V" block retainers on the 77 or 77 MK2 series. That's a rimfire game.

They aren't user swappable without a good bit of tools and precision measuring equipment at the very least.

If you're looking for recommendations on where or whom to send it to, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    They are threaded 1"-16, just like a Model 70 - there are no "V" block retainers on the 77 or 77 MK2 series. That's a rimfire game.

They aren't user swappable without a good bit of tools and precision measuring equipment at the very least.

If you're looking for recommendations on where or whom to send it to, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks for the info, what a bummer. Ball park it, how much to do this? Too bad you were wrong Kenny. I got excited when I read your post, then I saw fireballs.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    a couple hundred for the barrel and probably the same for the work? Basically more than it's really worth. I bet it'll shoot pretty well with the standard barrel and unless you're planning on taking it after prarie dogs where you'll burn through ammo, it'll do just fine.

I do however understand the desire for one thing over another, regardless of reason! That explains most of my purchases!

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Let me know your intended use for it, caliber, twist, length and contour.

There are lots of options - even the possibility of some Ruger take off barrels out there if you really want to squeek buy on it.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I figured if I couldnt do it myself I prolly would not do it. From what I was told by the current owner, after about 5 or so back to back shots, it becomes very hot and the bullets start straying off target. I have put one round through the gun so I can not speak from experience on this 5 shot limit. I guess rapid firing this bolt action is out of the question...

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    .22-250 is very heat sensitive. They run hot, Ruger never really did much metal wise for this with their bolt actions. Even the .223 Varmit heavy barrel my friend had gets wonky after 5 rounds in any sort of rapidity (even slow fire, 5 rounds in 10 minutes would begin heat stringing).

As for cost, I would imagine that the barrels are up there (couple hundred) but it should not cost anymore than a Mauser rebarrel..

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Silly me, I forgot to mention that Im all about Tacticool. I want a tactical sniper rifle look to it.

fireball, once I get the rifle (hopefully this weekend) I will let you know the details. All I know about it is its a mk2 22-250.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    That's pretty much the way its going to be.

You're pushing a pretty decent load of powder down a little hole.

Those Ruger barrels, particularly the stainless, are known to be quite wear resistant though, have got several prairie dog hunters that have got more life out of their factory tubes than premium aftermarket barrels (no doubt that the aftermarkets shot and cleaned easier).

Top Bottom