• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Hey all as some of you know I've been blacksmithing for about a year. I even stood up my own Etsy store to sell my stuffs.

Well I'd like to stand up a shop in my back yard for my forge, anvil,etc.

I'm looking to buy the arrow 10x12 shed from Lowes. But I like those wooden mini barns better however they are stupid expensive.

Doesn't anyone know a better option I'm over looking?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A few years ago, I built a mini-stable for our mini horse. It's really pretty simple. I built it like a small pole barn with below-ground treated 4x4s sunk below the frost line and sided it with T1-11.

This is 8x12, so you're would be a bit bigger, but for your purposes, I would think a bit bigger yet. Also, the shed roof is perfect for a short horse, but you would probably want a hip roof.

I don't know how much it would cost these days, but a lot less than pre-made.

stable framed.jpg

stable finished.jpg

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    If your land can accommodate it, how about a shipping container. There are small and large sizes and can be easily transformed into a shop. A 20’ container makes a nice sized shed/shop and a 53’ could double as an indoor 50’ shooting range of course with an appropriate backstop. LOL!

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    If your land can accommodate it, how about a shipping container. There are small and large sizes and can be easily transformed into a shop. A 20’ container makes a nice sized shed/shop and a 53’ could double as an indoor 50’ shooting range of course with an appropriate backstop. LOL!
    I considered this. However there is no good way to get one into my backyard. Can't go through my side yards and can't go through the neighbors yard behind me.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I built a 12x12 shed disassembled at old house & reassembled at current house, I should have enlarged it. I would also recommend building it with 2x6's. The metal & vinyl sheds suck and I have seen a metal one float away when the yard flooded. Also look @ cost of getting a 60 amp circuit ran to the location & of course running water to it also. Also look at craigslist & marketplace for sheds.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Built a 10x12 right before everything went stupid.

4x4 3 feet in ground and concrete. 4x4 runners, 2x10 floor joists, 3/4 floor, 2x4 walls and roof all 16 oc.

Then the hardware was the expensive stuff.
    17 sheets of osb I believe for walls and roof.

I think I have around $2,500 in it. Did it by myself -if you look close enough you can tell. :-/

I have not put the trim on it, honestly probably never will as we have had it for almost 3 years now:ugh::):
    20200320_144325.jpg 20200420_163557.jpg 20200516_140856.jpg

Last edited:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I considered this. However there is no good way to get one into my backyard. Can't go through my side yards and can't go through the neighbors yard behind me.
    From my understanding from reading things, crains aren't all that expensive to come out. Building from wood or kit vs 2 53foot containers is cheaper and probably more fire/ weather proof.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Can’t means you aren’t using your imagination. Just wait until they go to work or to sleep and drive on in!
    Problem with going through the neighbors is getting under some low power lines and trees and stuff.

Sadly it's just not in the cards that way.

I've considered building from scratch.

I designed and built my big ass chicken coop myself and this shed is just more than I want to take on myself. Too much time and effort.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Another vote for DIY. I tried hard to buy a kit or a premade one but I just didn't like the quality. I built mine, much better for less money.

I don't have a pic but it's a 10X12(to keep me from having to pull a permit) with a shed roof. Roof is 8' on the low side and somewhere around 10' on the high side.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Another vote for DIY. I tried hard to buy a kit or a premade one but I just didn't like the quality. I built mine, much better for less money.

I don't have a pic but it's a 10X12(to keep me from having to pull a permit) with a shed roof. Roof is 8' on the low side and somewhere around 10' on the high side.
    Thats what we did as well. The city said upto 15 feet tall. I think we top off at 14'

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I built one of those metal Arrow sheds, 50 million screws. I would never even consider doing it again. 10 years later it has dings and dents all over it that have no reasonable explanation at all. So another recommendation to stick build yourself and more importantly design it so it's easy to expand as time and needs go on

Top Bottom