• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a brand new in box basketball goal and pole that I want to put in for my kids.
    I’d love to be able to have a slab poured as well so we can actually play. Obviously not a full court size.

So, anyone have any recommendations on what size I should look into? Something that’s just large enough for a few people to casually play, shoot and dribble.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How much is concrete/yard now? $150? Plus the dirt work. For me, that would be a primary driver.

As a kid, we played on neighbor’s paved driveways and that was plenty big enough just for casual stuff. I’m thinking the one friend’s driveway was about 15ft wide by the length out to the road.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    How much is concrete/yard now? $150? Plus the dirt work. For me, that would be a primary driver.

As a kid, we played on neighbor’s paved driveways and that was plenty big enough just for casual stuff. I’m thinking the one friend’s driveway was about 15ft wide by the length out to the road.
    If it were me…… I would make it a common pole barn size. Lol that way when the kids are no longer interested you’re not mad you spent all that $$$

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If it were me…… I would make it a common pole barn size. Lol that way when the kids are no longer interested you’re not mad you spent all that $$$
    Then…it needs to be huge so when you tell your wife why you’re building such a big pole barn, you have a built in reason.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Quick google searching says 21' X 25' is a comfortable size for a backyard basketball pad. Half of an Elementary School court would be something crazy like 21' X 37'.

I had one put in at my last house, my boys were crazy rough and tumble and it was easier to just put them outside and let them wear each other out. I think ours was the 21' X 25' and it felt large enough to have several kids running around on. If you get a quote for the job they will basically quote you double, once for the pour and the cost to tear it out and re-pour if it cracks. If you have a friend who is in the business there may be a way around that (we did and it cut the price in half). Absolutely make sure to have the spot ready and prepped.

Some fun learning moments for me: Your home will become the new favorite hang out for every neighborhood kid, they won't need to SEE you outside playing basketball they will HEAR you dribbling the ball and invite themselves over. You will need to have a near constant supply of those freezer pops that you snip the tops off of (and an available trash can) AND probably knee sized bandages because...well...kids. One basketball will never be enough but you can sometimes convince grandparents that the best gifts are new basketballs. Also, place your court somewhere away from breakable things like patio doors and windows...because...well...kids. We truly enjoyed having it while they were little but as with everything in life, your mileage may vary. Best of luck to you

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Quick google searching says 21' X 25' is a comfortable size for a backyard basketball pad. Half of an Elementary School court would be something crazy like 21' X 37'.

I had one put in at my last house, my boys were crazy rough and tumble and it was easier to just put them outside and let them wear each other out. I think ours was the 21' X 25' and it felt large enough to have several kids running around on. If you get a quote for the job they will basically quote you double, once for the pour and the cost to tear it out and re-pour if it cracks. If you have a friend who is in the business there may be a way around that (we did and it cut the price in half). Absolutely make sure to have the spot ready and prepped.

Some fun learning moments for me: Your home will become the new favorite hang out for every neighborhood kid, they won't need to SEE you outside playing basketball they will HEAR you dribbling the ball and invite themselves over. You will need to have a near constant supply of those freezer pops that you snip the tops off of (and an available trash can) AND probably knee sized bandages because...well...kids. One basketball will never be enough but you can sometimes convince grandparents that the best gifts are new basketballs. Also, place your court somewhere away from breakable things like patio doors and windows...because...well...kids. We truly enjoyed having it while they were little but as with everything in life, your mileage may vary. Best of luck to you
    field-of-dreams-baseball.gif

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When I was a kid, My Dad made us a basketball court that was big enough for a good-sized 2 car garage...which is what he built on the slab after we moved out. It was a good size. Maybe 24x24 or 26x26. Dad and I did the excavation and formed it up, so concrete, the pole and backboard were the only out-of-pocket.

Top Bottom