• printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Awareness on vacation

(A forward from my posting on The High Road.)

A story on keeping alert.

I took the family down to Florida for a vacation before the kids got back to school.
    Left central Indiana on a Friday afternoon trying to get as far as possible
    the first day, can't really drive all night with kids. We were in southern Tennessee
    when we pulled off an exit to stop for the night about 10:30 pm.
    I and my wife are both CCW lifetime holders in Indiana.

Went to a hotel to check for a room, area looked alright but there was a bunch
    of loud 20 somethings outside that had been drinking. Decided not the best place for the family.
    Jumped back in the truck and began to pull out of the lot, crappy green Toyota of some sort pulls next to my door.
    My window is 1/2 down... hand slides down to my Smith 649 in my door. Wifes down to her SP101 in her door.
    Bear in mind this is 10:30 at night, skinny dude with the mullet asks me for money for gas.
    Said he just left the children's hospital and is trying to make it home.
    Now, the guy has a woman in the front seat and 2 kids in the back. I help people when I can
    but this was red flag for me. Said sorry nicely and left the lot,
    got on the highway, put my foot in it for greener pastures down the road.

Along we go for another 10 or so miles with my foot in it the whole time, girls have to use the restroom so
    the next exit we get off to go to the travel plaza. The wife and I have been discussing the event with
    the mullet guy, I've heard the no gas/childrens hospital scam before, he brought the kids along to throw
    people off that he was not a threat, scumbag. Basically spotting travelers knowing that they have cash
    and looking for a mark, open you wallet to give him a $5 and he sticks a gun or knife in your face and your out.

Anyhow, I was in the gas all the way to the exit, remember about 10 miles,
    (kids have to go hurry dad) Get out of the truck 649 goes in front pocket.
    Walk the Wife and 2 girls to the door of the plaza to do their business. Go back to the truck and get the
    boys out and take them up. I wait outside by the truck. Scanning the parking lot guess what I see......
    crappy green Toyota setting behind the pumps.

Guy followed me down the Interstate... now I had been talking about this guy with the wife for the
    last 10 minutes and like a bad penny up he pops. I was beside myself, guy pulls up and proceeds to park
    a spot down from my truck and eye me up. He gets out and I've had enough, shirt gets tucked behind my grip.
    He gets the "Hey buddy not a great idea look" Woman gives him a shout.
    Scumbags eyes get wide and he's in the car and out of the lot in a flash.
    I was not trying to escalate the situation but none verbally
    tell the guy keep clear and stay away from me and my family so don't flame me.

Jump back in the truck and put a bunch of miles behind us, head into Georgia late for the night. But now all is well with a great vacation to Florida.

Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    You didn't escalate the situation, but made it very clear that you were both willing and equipped to defend yourself. Any idea what the woman shouted at him?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Bhriindan82

I have no idea what she said. She had her window up and there were tractor/trailers moving around close with their racket.
    Probably a "HEY BO HOLY $&!+":runaway:
    She had to know what he was up to and in on it or
    she might have been an unwilling participant, I'll never know.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Lucky no police saw you. Small price to pay for deescalating a situation though.

I don't think it would be hard to argue that you were having an acceptable level of escalation by brandishing. I've done the same exact thing, when confronted with a guy having a knife. It is more than a coincidence when someone follows you over 10 miles and some how ends up at the same pump.

I guess the question is if you would rather brandish or wait for another minute of escalation and actually have to draw or worst case actually fire on him to stop.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't think it would be hard to argue that you were having an acceptable level of escalation by brandishing. I've done the same exact thing, when confronted with a guy having a knife. It is more than a coincidence when someone follows you over 10 miles and some how ends up at the same pump.

I guess the question is if you would rather brandish or wait for another minute of escalation and actually have to draw or worst case actually fire on him to stop.

I don't know that I'd call it a brandish just to make the BG aware he had it. If he drew it without aiming at the guy, that's different, and with aiming at him, possibly assault, though the self-defense exemption would come into play. Admittedly, I've not read TN law, but still....

IANAL and TINLA disclaimers apply.

Blessings,
    B

Top Bottom