• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I have to agree with rugertoter. The consumers are a big part of the problem. There are all kinds of ammo buyers. Some are shooters, some are hoarders, some are speculators, etc, etc. And then we have the panic buyers. We've all seen people who watched the latest action movie and now they want what the star was carrying. Until the see the price. "Oh man, I didn't think an M4 was that much." We've all heard comments like that. So they forget about it. And then.......the SHTF! Now they won't be able to get one! So an $800.00 AR15 is now $2000.00. But they gotta have one. Now they gotta have 5000 rounds of ammo. And they just watched a zombie apocalypse or prepper show and that just fuels the fire. (Nothing against preppers, I've been an amateur prepper since the late 70's.) The drastic increase in demand brings out the speculators and so it begins. I have no problem with someone making a couple bucks if they had the foresight to put some ammo away for a rainy day. Especially when it will cost more than they paid for it to replace it. But there's a line between "making out" and greed. And while I can sympathize with someone who's just starting out because of age or finances, I can't feel sorry for someone who has spent the last five years putting off picking up the gun or two they want and some ammo for it, when they just bought a $2500.00 TV, a $40,000 car, a $500.00 phone and an $800.00 iPad. And as for the current political state, folks need to pay attention because a day late can indeed be a dollar short.
    Getting back to the price gouging, it's a free country, do what you want. I personally wouldn't sell my Belgian PARA FAL for the price I paid for it in 1985. But, I wouldn't try to get $3500,00 out of it when I have a lot less than that in it.
    We hear all kinds of quotes like: "It's yours, get what you can get." or "Sell it for what the market bears." or "If they're stupid enough to pay it....."
    I wonder.......Are the big shots in the oil companies sitting around their offices saying the same things about us............standing at the gas pumps?

P.S. Apologies in advance for "a newbie rattling on".

Engalwood

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Greenwood
    :yesway:

Hope you made/make some money out there this weekend[/QUOTE]

Yes not to bad at all!!! Loved getting nto it with a few know it all saying how high it was and so forth... Loved when they walked away after I had the last word!!!!:popcorn:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have to agree with rugertoter. The consumers are a big part of the problem. There are all kinds of ammo buyers. Some are shooters, some are hoarders, some are speculators, etc, etc. And then we have the panic buyers. We've all seen people who watched the latest action movie and now they want what the star was carrying. Until the see the price. "Oh man, I didn't think an M4 was that much." We've all heard comments like that. So they forget about it. And then.......the SHTF! Now they won't be able to get one! So an $800.00 AR15 is now $2000.00. But they gotta have one. Now they gotta have 5000 rounds of ammo. And they just watched a zombie apocalypse or prepper show and that just fuels the fire. (Nothing against preppers, I've been an amateur prepper since the late 70's.) The drastic increase in demand brings out the speculators and so it begins. I have no problem with someone making a couple bucks if they had the foresight to put some ammo away for a rainy day. Especially when it will cost more than they paid for it to replace it. But there's a line between "making out" and greed. And while I can sympathize with someone who's just starting out because of age or finances, I can't feel sorry for someone who has spent the last five years putting off picking up the gun or two they want and some ammo for it, when they just bought a $2500.00 TV, a $40,000 car, a $500.00 phone and an $800.00 iPad. And as for the current political state, folks need to pay attention because a day late can indeed be a dollar short.
    Getting back to the price gouging, it's a free country, do what you want. I personally wouldn't sell my Belgian PARA FAL for the price I paid for it in 1985. But, I wouldn't try to get $3500,00 out of it when I have a lot less than that in it.
    We hear all kinds of quotes like: "It's yours, get what you can get." or "Sell it for what the market bears." or "If they're stupid enough to pay it....."
    I wonder.......Are the big shots in the oil companies sitting around their offices saying the same things about us............standing at the gas pumps?

P.S. Apologies in advance for "a newbie rattling on".

Preach on, btw u got a helluva lot of rep for 4 posts ;)

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    ammo prices (and guns) at shows were bordering on retarded anyway, way before the shortage. when my LGS had case of XM193 for 280 why would i pay 350 at one for a show?
    same goes for any gun? WHAT 600 for a gen four glock!!! shut up and take my money!!
    or not. i gave up looking for deals at shows loooooooong ago. i used to go looking for parts or trinkets, meh, not worth my drive anymore. deals at shows died with the $100 SKS or $300 norinco M14.

there's an entire internet competing for my wallet.
    Wow! I dont think I would have worded this any different. Thats freaky.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I went Saturday to the 1500 looking for a couple of specific items, one of which I found at a great deal. I passed up $16 boxes of .308, and now think I should have maybe picked a couple boxes up...but..oh well. I haven't been gun shopping in a while, but did see some pistols at higher than normal prices. AR's were a bit higher than I expected....and ammo was ridiculously expensive. I saw table after table of $65 bricks of .22lr, and $30 boxes of 9mm. Even reloading stuff was more expensive than usual.

Made me sick to think that last years walked into my very first 1500 with $1200 and only bought 500 5.56mm for $175.

Let's hope that between now and the next 1500 the ammo supply returns to normal at the big box stores and the gouges eat all that extra ammo they purchased.

kiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Warsaw
    Went to the show Friday.....looked all over for ammo. Found box's of 20 PMC for $11. Pretty good deal..My local Walmart has (at times) WWB 9mm for less than 26 a 100 with tax and 40 WWB for $38 a 100 with tax with a limit of 3 box's per day. Ammo venders wanted $60 a 100 or $600 for a thousand for 40 cal. Didn't need it that bad. Wonder if they have trouble sleeping......I would.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Went to the show Friday.....looked all over for ammo. Found box's of 20 PMC for $11. Pretty good deal..My local Walmart has (at times) WWB 9mm for less than 26 a 100 with tax and 40 WWB for $38 a 100 with tax with a limit of 3 box's per day. Ammo venders wanted $60 a 100 or $600 for a thousand for 40 cal. Didn't need it that bad. Wonder if they have trouble sleeping......I would.

The only reason I'd have trouble sleeping if I were them is from thinking about all the money I made.

TrentS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Speedway
    Vendors are free to ask whatever price they want. It's up to the consumer to spend his money wisely. It's basic economics. If we refuse to pay the price they will be forced to lower their price. I almost felt sorry (not) when time after time venders complained that they weren't selling anything. Maybe ammo prices were more realistic there would more cash for other things at the show.
    I enjoy going to the 1500. I only wish that every time I turned around someone wasn't trying to gouge me. Remember there is a Wallmart, Dick's, Gander Mountain and if you hit those stores at the right time you can make a reasonable purchase.

Engalwood

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Greenwood

I charged $45 and sold all 31 of the WWB 9mm and federal 100 rounders

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Vendors are free to ask whatever price they want. It's up to the consumer to spend his money wisely. It's basic economics. If we refuse to pay the price they will be forced to lower their price.

Correct. People refuse to see that the consumer is who sets the prices for things, not the seller.

Whenever someone asks what a particular item is worth, the answer is always "whatever someone is willing to pay" not "whatever you feel like asking for it"

TrentS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Speedway
    If your profit margin is so lousy how about you leave the ammo on the shelf at the store so the rest of us can have a crack at it.

Whiskey Lake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Indy Area
    Surely no one really still believes that the 1500 has good deals?!?! By the time you pay for fuel, parking and entry add ANOTHER premium to whatever over priced stuff you just bought. I will save you the parking and entry fees and sell you some of my ammo at 1500 prices. We will both be happy!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Thirty one boxes? That's a lot of trips to walmart.

Probly knows someone at Walmart that hooks him up instead of allowing everyone else a fair shake at it.

The price is not that far out of line though. It's what my local gun store charges with tax IF you can eer find it in stock. I paid the same price for wwb and a couple bucks less for federal 50 round boxes.

But damn, 31 boxes is excessive hoarding.

Top Bottom