Autozone vs Advanced vs O'Reilly's vs NAPA??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, which auto parts store do you prefer?

This question is sparked by several problems I've had with O'Reilly's lately. Not happy with their parts although their prices aren't bad.

I'm also not a fan of Autozone after they shafted me on a battery warranty and the way the "Store Manager" treated me when I brought the failing battery in... I'll expand on these problems in posts down below...

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    O'Reilley and Napa are the only ones that ever have parts for my SVT Focus. I usually check O'Reilley first since they're cheaper.

If I know the impending fixing is coming, I usually order online first. Local stores are for parts that I need in a hurry.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I like Autozone because they usually have Mr. Pibb in bottles by the exit. Plus the guys are always funny.

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    I usually go to Autozone, but I've shopped at several of the others on list and have never had a problem at any of them.

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    I prefer Carquest but they are a little higher but I have never had an issue with quality so that makes a difference to me.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    It depends almost entirely on the staff. If they will put out the effort to get me what I need/want, I'll go to them regularly, maybe even pay a little more.
    On the other hand, whichever store I buy from, needs to have what I consider to be quality products.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Autozone, Advance, Napa, O'Reilly, the dealer. In that order, usually. I've gotten to know the guys at my local Autozone. Besides that, it's a toss-up with Advance.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Hadn't seen that before... guess it'll be somewhere else from now on.
    Didn't know about the firing. That makes the choices a little harder. I believe that the same thing would happen at the other places as well. Corporate America doesn't care about peons and their rights.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    O'reilly's problems: Battery for my wife's car was replaced 3 times in 6 months after mysteriously dying each time. The manager said it couldn't possibly be the battery and had to be the car draining it. Even if it was the car, most quality batteries can be drained at least once or twice without completely killing them. These batteries died (overnight in a single night) and wouldn't take any charge at all. Even on 125 Amp boost they would show 5-9 volts after the charger was taken off and they equalized for a minute or two. I can't say that I ever determined the problem. It was random and always happened fast. It wasn't a slow drain or anything, it would just mysteriously die overnight with no indication of a coming dead battery. I think the problem was battery related but can't say for sure.

Windshield wipers from O'Reillys: went it with a list and told him I wanted wipers for X car. I fully expected him to walk me to a rack where all the wipers were and give me a choice, only telling me what size I needed. Instead, he just grabbed some out of the back. I was in a hurry so didn't complain. I assume they were store brand and would be good enough ... they've been the worst wipers I've ever had. Chatter really bad, don't wipe clean, rubber wipe is always coming out of the metal arm... horrible... The PEAK brand wipers that Menards has free after rebate every once in a while are much, much better at a much better price...

Autozon battery incident: Battery for my car started failing and I almost got stranded a couple times. It was a 3 year replacement 7 or 8 year pro-rated warranty. I was 6 months into the pro-rated period. Took it to get tested. MGR said, "Nope, tests good" I questioned him why it's only showing 10-10.5 volts and sometimes won't start my car. He said, "Must be your starter, we'll check that for free too". I said, "wait, that doesn't explain why the voltage on the battery is low." Him: "Must be your alternator not charging it, you want that checked too?" I replied, "Even after running a charger on the battery all night it shows 10-10.5 volts after I let it equalize for a while" He replied, "Sir, you must be mistaken, as the battery voltage gets lower the battery gets stronger, 10-10.5 volts is really good for a car battery." At this point I pulled out the, "I'm not a retard card on him" and he finally caved and said he'd return it. My cost for a $160 battery that was only 6 months into the pro-rate period that is 7 or 8 years long was $135. That's absurd and I will never buy another auto-zone battery again...

NAPA incident: special size batteries are outrageous and same type of failure/warranty experience as Autozone. This was my dad's final straw with NAPA. After his outragously priced special size batteries died shortly after the 1 year free replacement period the 5 or 6 year pro-rated warranty replacement cost to him was 90% of the cost of the batteries.

Advanced Auto experiences: Battery in my truck failed. Battery was purchased brand new by seller under condition of sale when the truck was bought so it was in his name. Advanced warranty is only good for purchaser I think, but I told them the situation, they asked the name of the seller and looked it up. Battery was 2 months outside of the full replacement warranty but still in the pro-rated period. It cost me $5 for the pro-rated warranty for battery replacement and that battery has been good ever since... Advanced didn't even baulk at replacing a battery that wasn't originally purchased by me. I've also had many other good dealing with them, and they carry my Puralator oil filters. I've also never had a bad customer service experience there. The other places it's a crap-shoot if you're going to get a guy that "knows everything about cars and you don't have a clue what you're talking about"

Last edited:

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    I usually do business at Advance. They have been very helpful in locating parts for me in the past so I feel like they have earned my business. Orielly is next on the list if Advance doesn't have something and I have not had a bad experience there yet either.

I typically avoid Autozone for two reasons. They are not as helpful when I have a question about a part and my wife has complained a couple of times that they have not treated her well when I have sent her on a parts run. By contrast, the guys at Advance, she says, are very nice to her.

I think NAPA is good and they have things that the others don't, but their hours and locations are often not as convenient for me.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I typically order from RockAuto Parts Catalog and use their 5% off coupon code that is easily found online. They stock name brand parts and usually are one of the best deals I can find even after shipping.

Their shipping is quick, typically 3-4 days with standard shipping.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I typically order from RockAuto Parts Catalog and use their 5% off coupon code that is easily found online. They stock name brand parts and usually are one of the best deals I can find even after shipping.

Their shipping is quick, typically 3-4 days with standard shipping.

Beat me to it, I go to Napa if I need a part ASAP or to get rotors turned, but otherwise I do all my shopping online at RockAuto.com

Top Bottom