• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    I bought a Fobus paddle holster for duty carry(armored car). Would have chosen a better holster, but finances would not permit. Anyway, my issue is with the retention, specificly it has too much. It's very difficult to remove the gun from the holster. Much more then it should be. I've thought of a couple different ideas, but I was hoping to get some advice from some of you, who may have experienced the same issue, and have corrected it. I start as early as Tuesday at the armored car company, so just breaking it in normally is kinda out of the question. Please help. :draw:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Mine does too.

I put a little blue Loctite on the screw as it tends to work itself loose over time.

robbran144

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    southside/greenwood
    i think some of the fobus holsters don't, not sure if it would work but you might try a heat gun, get it warm not melting hot,put your gun in it try to get it molded to your gun...

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    CORRECT some of the fobus holsters do not have a tension screw. Best bet, throw it in the trash and buy one that does. OR... a little heatgun hair dryer action. that works. also a little treatment of ArmorAll in ONLY the trigger guard retention area may serve you as well.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    My first holster was a Fobus paddle OWB for my G22. I would definitely consider getting another type of holster, however I understand finances being tight. When you get another holster, preferably level 2 or more, I would look at the hair dryer or boiling hot water option. Remember that in your line of work, your life depends on your gear.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    My step dad had a Fobus for his p90 and it did not have a retention screw. The retention got worse in cold weather as the plastic would contract and seem to hold the gun in tighter. I like the idea of the heat gun method, but what he did was he just took a file and filed down the inside of the detent that holds the trigger guard. The advantage of the heat gun method is that if you lose too much retention you can heat it back up and push the detent back in to get retention back.

Go slow and you should be fine.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    No, it doesn't have any retention screw. I wish. I had one for another gun that did. I want/need another holster, but finances are extremely tight due to job transition. New job has significantly higher pay, and I will ne able to afford a good holster soon. Hopefully a Raven or Bladetech. I like the hair dryer idea! Thanks!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I want/need another holster, but finances are extremely tight due to job transition. New job has significantly higher pay, and I will ne able to afford a good holster soon. Hopefully a Raven or Bladetech. I like the hair dryer idea! Thanks!

As soon as your finances allow, I would recommend some higher quality gear. As you are now an armed professional, I think you'll feel much more comfortable with something that offers a retention method better than simple friction.

For now, with your Fobus, I've heard of guys wrapping their *unloaded* guns in a ziplock bag, and then holstering the weapon overnight, allowing the plastic to stretch a bit.

Top Bottom