• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    We had a neighbor who has since moved. I would message him anytime his dog showed up in my yard and let him know his batteries were dead. He always appreciated knowing where his dog was while he was at work because when he was home the dog never left the yard. I had never seen this dog before...the one that was here recently.
    Newer GPS ones can alert you when battery is running down.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Put up lots of utility marking flags at the perimeter of its boundaries, it gives them something to see. And like you said good training is key.
    I second this. I used one of the old-school buried wire versions years ago, and it worked most of the time. Last fall I put up field fence on our perimeter and dug up some of the old buried wire.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I looked at the Spoton and Halo early this morning. Not interested in spending $600-1000. I may just take my chances with a $200-300 outfit. We have the time to put in on working the dogs on the perimeter as my wife is a stay at home mom and homeschools our kids. Shouldn't be a problem to walk the dogs 2-3x a day and get them accustomed to their boundaries. Plus not that summer time is coming I'll have a few hours each evening after getting home from work to train them. Thanks for the input so far
    I’ll echo the positives of Halo, had one for about two years now, original collar and while the battery life has never been great it really hasn’t diminished over time either.
    Battery won’t get us through a 12 hour day without a bit of charging.
    Held up to lots of water and mud.
    Love the multiple maps and drawing them on the phone and phone controls and info.

But, the cheaper ones may work, it really is all about the training as the foundation for any of them working.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We’ve had the presage wireless unit for 15 or so years now. Been through many dogs. It’s limited compared to the new fangled gps stuff for sure but it’s solid and works. Has kept all of our GSD’s and a border collie in. We don’t leave the out all the time either so ymmv

Top Bottom