• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had the opportunity to head to the Atterbury Shooting Complex on Friday (5/20) to shoot my Springfield XD9 subcompact. I went with a friend of mine and neither of us were in a hurry so we shared a lane and took turns shooting (he brought his gun too). The weather was beautiful; it was a joy to be shooting outside. Speaking of the shooting... I put 170 rounds of Remington UMC through my little XD. They all fired great except for one light load round at the end of a magazine that failed to lock the slide back. This was the first time I've put so many rounds through all in one sitting and boy did my accuracy plummet! After about 100 round my arms were getting tired and my groups started getting bigger.

Atterbury was a pleasure to shoot at, as always. There were very few people at the pistol range and they had a safety officer on the line as well as one behind the counter to deal with payment, etc. They were all polite even though I broke a couple rules. First, I walked in with my gun in it's holster (no holstered guns allowed) but they didn't yell at me, the asked me to remove and unload the weapon. Second, we were sweeping brass during a cease fire and my friend set a .50 AE cartridge on a shooting bench. During a cease fire you aren't allowed to approach the bench for any reason and I (like an idiot) walked right up and picked up the brass. The RO started to say something and I realized what I'd done. I said "oops" and stepped back immediately. I didn't get yelled at, but that's probably because we were about ten feet away. Had he been at the other end of the range I'm sure he would have yelled to make sure he was heard. And ya know what? I'm okay with that.

There was another guy on the range who looked like he was either a first time shooter with a new gun or maybe he had rented a range gun. His accuracy was fine, but he didn't know the first thing about using a firearm. A bird landed on his target and he shot it just for fun. The bird flopped around for a little bit on the ground before it died. The RO looked like this: :xmad: when he had to go bury the bird during a cease fire. But I never heard anyone yell at the guy that shot the bird.

I've seen some people on INGO complaining that the range officers at Atterbury are rude, but I've never had a problem with them. Even when I accidentally break a rule or two they never come off as angry. Granted, I'm not doing anything really bad like sweeping women and children with a loaded gun. I guess I'm just trying to defend the reputation of the good men at Atterbury from the butt-hurt weanies that don't understand why rules exist. The only time I've seen the RO's at Atterbury get angry or abrasive is when they've had someone doing stupid :poop: The RO's job is to make sure everyone on the range is safe; if you're breaking rules they have to correct that ASAP for the safety of everyone else. I, for one, appreciate that. And if you get all bent out of shape just because someone raised their voice in your general direction my advice is to stop crying and re-read the range rules ya jack wagon!

Sorry if that turned into a rant... I'm done now.

PS- Take a sip of coke with your hearing protection on; it sounds cool! Then again, I'm easily amused.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Atterbury/Johnson County Park is my favorite place to shoot. Bar none. It's safe, well managed, well priced, and very well maintained. The RO's there know their business. We don't need any cowboy whiners there.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Atterbury/Johnson County Park is my favorite place to shoot. Bar none. It's safe, well managed, well priced, and very well maintained. The RO's there know their business. We don't need any cowboy whiners there.

I agree for the most part.

Personally, I wish they'd allow "rapid fire". Especially if you consistently hit what you're aiming at. But I completely understand why they disallow it (lowest common denominator)

-J-

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I agree that Atterbury is a great place to shoot.

I haven't been down there since last summer but I'm headed down on Sunday to see what I can see on this .308 I'm picking up today, so long as things work out.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had the opportunity to head to the Atterbury Shooting Complex on Friday (5/20) to shoot my Springfield XD9 subcompact. I went with a friend of mine and neither of us were in a hurry so we shared a lane and took turns shooting (he brought his gun too). The weather was beautiful; it was a joy to be shooting outside. Speaking of the shooting... I put 170 rounds of Remington UMC through my little XD. They all fired great except for one light load round at the end of a magazine that failed to lock the slide back. This was the first time I've put so many rounds through all in one sitting and boy did my accuracy plummet! After about 100 round my arms were getting tired and my groups started getting bigger.

Atterbury was a pleasure to shoot at, as always. There were very few people at the pistol range and they had a safety officer on the line as well as one behind the counter to deal with payment, etc. They were all polite even though I broke a couple rules. First, I walked in with my gun in it's holster (no holstered guns allowed) but they didn't yell at me, the asked me to remove and unload the weapon. Second, we were sweeping brass during a cease fire and my friend set a .50 AE cartridge on a shooting bench. During a cease fire you aren't allowed to approach the bench for any reason and I (like an idiot) walked right up and picked up the brass. The RO started to say something and I realized what I'd done. I said "oops" and stepped back immediately. I didn't get yelled at, but that's probably because we were about ten feet away. Had he been at the other end of the range I'm sure he would have yelled to make sure he was heard. And ya know what? I'm okay with that.

There was another guy on the range who looked like he was either a first time shooter with a new gun or maybe he had rented a range gun. His accuracy was fine, but he didn't know the first thing about using a firearm. A bird landed on his target and he shot it just for fun. The bird flopped around for a little bit on the ground before it died. The RO looked like this: :xmad: when he had to go bury the bird during a cease fire. But I never heard anyone yell at the guy that shot the bird.

I've seen some people on INGO complaining that the range officers at Atterbury are rude, but I've never had a problem with them. Even when I accidentally break a rule or two they never come off as angry. Granted, I'm not doing anything really bad like sweeping women and children with a loaded gun. I guess I'm just trying to defend the reputation of the good men at Atterbury from the butt-hurt weanies that don't understand why rules exist. The only time I've seen the RO's at Atterbury get angry or abrasive is when they've had someone doing stupid :poop: The RO's job is to make sure everyone on the range is safe; if you're breaking rules they have to correct that ASAP for the safety of everyone else. I, for one, appreciate that. And if you get all bent out of shape just because someone raised their voice in your general direction my advice is to stop crying and re-read the range rules ya jack wagon!

Sorry if that turned into a rant... I'm done now.

PS- Take a sip of coke with your hearing protection on; it sounds cool! Then again, I'm easily amused.

I was there Friday shooting my AK. I like Atterbury, it's clean, safe, and well maintained. I have never had problems with any of the staff.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Ditto for the Roush Lake DNR range outside Huntington. Four dollars to shoot all day, and the rangemasters, Fred and Bob, are always professional and helpful. However, they both are, ahem, "colorful" characters. :D Love 'em to death!

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've had good experiences with Atterbury so far. I've done one or two dumb things two like approach the bench without thinking and accidentally stepping over the yellow line. Never got yelled at though, the RO just came over to me and said "hey, don't do that" and reiterated the rules. Heck, at the end of the day when I thought he was totally mad at me he came over chatted with me while I was checking out. It's not that they're being jerks on a power trip or anything, they just don't want stupid stuff to happen. Shooting has a bad rep enough as it is.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I have always had a good time there. They RO's have done their job well, considering the size of the range and amount of people who have been there some of times I was there.

There was another guy on the range who looked like he was either a first time shooter with a new gun or maybe he had rented a range gun. His accuracy was fine, but he didn't know the first thing about using a firearm. A bird landed on his target and he shot it just for fun. The bird flopped around for a little bit on the ground before it died. The RO looked like this: :xmad: when he had to go bury the bird during a cease fire. But I never heard anyone yell at the guy that shot the bird..

That's just jacked up man. I don't know what the "protocol" is for a situation like that, but I would have made the Jackleg who shot the bird go out and bury it.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I have frequently used the Atterbury facility pretty much since they opened the doors. I refer to it as the "Taj Mahal" of shooting ranges; air conditioned, well stocked shop complete with indoor, functioning rest rooms ( my wife made me put in that last bit!). I too have been yelled at for doing something "brain dead" during the cease fire period. My response to the RO was, "hell yes! yell at me, beat me about the head and neck if you need to!". You can't make a firing range too safe. :oldwise:I have been to other ranges which allow fiddling with weapons and gear at your firing position during cease fire while I was down range - can be a bit disconcerting!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My wife and I were there Sunday. We always have a good time when we go, and like the OP, we both appreciate the staff there. They have kept me from unintentionally doing dumb stuff a couple of times, and I applaud them for that...they are good folks.
    It started raining when we got there, and quit as we were leaving. Deb made better groups than I did.

Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    About the only place my wife will shoot. She hates the indoor ranges due to the close quarters. Feels safer and much more at ease at Atturbury, and REALLY likes having a R/O there. (she's only been shootng for about 9 months)

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I really like it since it is 15 minutes from my front door. I'll be making the trip this weekend to get some trigger time on my newest "creation". The .458 SOCOM upper has arrived after a 2 1/2 month backorder. Now its time to go blast something!:ar15:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I need to get down there, but I can't seem to find rules and fees. Website, for me at least, seems kind of defunct. No info on it. Anyone have a link or care to share fees and rules on here?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Thanks for that, that is NOT what I kept finding. I probably kept getting an old site.

It's my understanding the old management team got the boot, and for some reason they haven't or won't take down the old site. I think the site ought to be under the DNR web anyway, at least then the authenticity could be verified...but oh well.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Belated report of my own to add - I took my dad down there a week ago because Fall Creek was doing some construction.

GREAT EXPERIENCE. Friendly, well run, and the RO's that were there were outstanding. Dad started unpacking his pistols at the picnic table and instead of yelling at him like a jackass, the RO came over and explained to him what that he wanted him to only unpack at the shooting benches. Even my irascible ol' dad was happy and commented several times about how cool they were.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    I've always had great experiences with Atterbury. They RO's are polite but firm. And sometimes they shoot when they're on their breaks. If one of them corrects you while he's firing, it's not him slacking at his job, it's him paying attention even when he doesn't have to. I'll keep coming back.

~LT

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Just be warned...if you shoot the concrete baffles, its a $100 fee. I saw some idiot shoot an AR flattop with no sights of any kind and hit the baffle. He was immediately taken to the office and charged the fee...then asked to leave. He got to the range and fired off a couple rounds before anyone saw what was going on. He even brought his kids... who were at the bench with him... with no hearing protection. I noticed and notified the RO working. He was headed that way when the genius hit the baffle! Nice.

Top Bottom