• ...and so much more!
  • Bacon0101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2024
    Franklin, IN
    Question for the masses. This may have been a topic of discussion before but I do see a variance in age of this group. What is your EDC (firearm and items) that you absolutely don’t leave the house without. Maybe even your BOB (bug out bag) in your vehicle. I will start. EDC- currently carry a Springfield Hellcat with red dot and extra mag, bench made griptillan, leatherman and surefire tac light. BOB contains first aid, fire rod, 3 day rations, 1 liter of water, woobie, extra ammo for primary and a foldable carbine (keltec sub 2000) and $300 cash. What are your thoughts? What am I missing that you might carry? What do you carry or have readily available that you feel is essential?

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    The only thing I absolutely won't leave the house without is clothing. Considered it a few times, but, NAHHH! I don't have a BOB, nor a use for one. I don't even have an EDC, actually. I have a few FCs (frequent carry), and a Keltech P32 I leave in the car. I don't own a long-gun of any kind. I don't carry cash unless I am headed out to buy my PowerBall ticket. In my humble opinion, if the $#!T hits the fan like you seem to be planning for, you are F-iretr-ucked, anyway. Seems like a complete waste of time, money, and brain-power to me. Ooh, seems like I may be onto something, there. Or a troll?

Bacon0101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2024
    Franklin, IN
    The only thing I absolutely won't leave the house without is clothing. Considered it a few times, but, NAHHH! I don't have a BOB, nor a use for one. I don't even have an EDC, actually. I have a few FCs (frequent carry), and a Keltech P32 I leave in the car. I don't own a long-gun of any kind. I don't carry cash unless I am headed out to buy my PowerBall ticket. In my humble opinion, if the $#!T hits the fan like you seem to be planning for, you are F-iretr-ucked, anyway. Seems like a complete waste of time, money, and brain-power to me. Ooh, seems like I may be onto something, there. Or a troll?
    That is your right and your opinion. I don’t like to be firetrucked so I like to be prepared. It is my primary goal to protect myself and my family every time we walk out the door of our home and to also be prepared. This has saved my tail more than once. Driving through Buffalo New York and we get stuck on the highway for 22 hours. I had food, water and a way to protect myself if I needed to. A lot of others on the highway were not and suffered. If sh:t hits the fan or just a shopping trip with my wife to the mall, I always want to be prepared and victorious in any conflict that may arise. Thanks for your input and I am glad you decide to at least wear clothes when you leave your home to buy lottery tickets.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I get being prepared to protect yourself and your family when you walk out the door. Or even inside your own home. That makes perfect sense to me. The bug-out-bag seems almost nonsensical to me. I easily keep more supplies in my house than you are planning to carry in said emergency. Complicate that with the fact that if there is a mass event, you live within about 20 miles of almost 1 million people. How do you plan to protect and defend you and yours in a sea of needy, hungry, fearful, crazy people? You can count on the almost immediate formation of armed, lawless mobs, willing to kill you and yours, for whatever you have. What actual good will come of your 3 days worth of water and a few hundred rounds of ammunition. It will not be just for you... for very long. It may be worth considering the totality of the situation you will find yourself in, should you ever need that BOB.

EDIT 5 minutes later. Please allow me to thank you for a dignified response, with examples. I am embarrassed to admit that was the last thing I was expecting. Having been in more than one 'incident', I think it sometimes best to be prepared to die, also. It is my well-considered opinion that being prepared to put it all on the line has a way of helping you manage priorities, when priorities need to be managed. Preparing only to be victorious is short-sighted.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    That is your right and your opinion. I don’t like to be firetrucked so I like to be prepared. It is my primary goal to protect myself and my family every time we walk out the door of our home and to also be prepared. This has saved my tail more than once. Driving through Buffalo New York and we get stuck on the highway for 22 hours. I had food, water and a way to protect myself if I needed to. A lot of others on the highway were not and suffered. If sh:t hits the fan or just a shopping trip with my wife to the mall, I always want to be prepared and victorious in any conflict that may arise. Thanks for your input and I am glad you decide to at least wear clothes when you leave your home to buy lottery tickets.
    Got a new York carry license? If not sounds like you were flirting with jail time there.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Question for the masses. This may have been a topic of discussion before but I do see a variance in age of this group. What is your EDC (firearm and items) that you absolutely don’t leave the house without. Maybe even your BOB (bug out bag) in your vehicle. I will start. EDC- currently carry a Springfield Hellcat with red dot and extra mag, bench made griptillan, leatherman and surefire tac light. BOB contains first aid, fire rod, 3 day rations, 1 liter of water, woobie, extra ammo for primary and a foldable carbine (keltec sub 2000) and $300 cash. What are your thoughts? What am I missing that you might carry? What do you carry or have readily available that you feel is essential?

What I have and where I keep it is my business alone. Suffice to say I had a newborn baby last blizzard we had here and did fine.

We bugged "in" from our country home at the time to my parents' place closer to town. I brought my stuff. We kept warm using a fireplace and warmed bottles and melted snow using a Sterno stove.

It was a really nice time. Quite, peaceful, no AC electricity.

This really belongs in the Survival forum at https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/survival-and-disaster-preparedness.154/

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Just my EDC Optic equipped Dagger and an extra mag. I do have an adequate pocket knife and gallon of water, mainly for the dog's need since she goes with me when at all possible. I train once a month with a group of like minded individuals about my age and make the range at least a couple of times every week. My gun goes on with my pants and I have something handy when I'm sleeping.. I could be more prepared but I'm comfortable where I am and if necessary I believe I'm prepared to defend myself and those I love effectively if the need arises.

Bacon0101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2024
    Franklin, IN
    I get being prepared to protect yourself and your family when you walk out the door. Or even inside your own home. That makes perfect sense to me. The bug-out-bag seems almost nonsensical to me. I easily keep more supplies in my house than you are planning to carry in said emergency. Complicate that with the fact that if there is a mass event, you live within about 20 miles of almost 1 million people. How do you plan to protect and defend you and yours in a sea of needy, hungry, fearful, crazy people? You can count on the almost immediate formation of armed, lawless mobs, willing to kill you and yours, for whatever you have. What actual good will come of your 3 days worth of water and a few hundred rounds of ammunition. It will not be just for you... for very long. It may be worth considering the totality of the situation you will find yourself in, should you ever need that BOB.

EDIT 5 minutes later. Please allow me to thank you for a dignified response, with examples. I am embarrassed to admit that was the last thing I was expecting. Having been in more than one 'incident', I think it sometimes best to be prepared to die, also. It is my well-considered opinion that being prepared to put it all on the line has a way of helping you manage priorities, when priorities need to be managed. Preparing only to be victorious is short-sighted.
    No one deserves to be belittled because of their opinion. That is why I posed the question because I was interested in different trains of thought. From my background, I plan to survive and attempt to be victorious to my last breath. I am also a believer in being “my brothers keeper”. I will protect myself, my family and those unable to protect themselves. I am a a firm believer in this and that is why I raised my children to be like minded. Most of my kids have their concealed carry, are proficient with it, and are prepared to the best of my ability to teach them to at least survive if I am not there with them. I am not saying I am prepared to fight an all out war like Rambo, but I do know enough of “escape and evade”, survival, and personal protection if the need arises. I don’t expect everyone to be at that level or want to be at that level, but it does open up conversations and lets me see others thoughts.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    No one deserves to be belittled because of their opinion. That is why I posed the question because I was interested in different trains of thought. From my background, I plan to survive and attempt to be victorious to my last breath. I am also a believer in being “my brothers keeper”. I will protect myself, my family and those unable to protect themselves. I am a a firm believer in this and that is why I raised my children to be like minded. Most of my kids have their concealed carry, are proficient with it, and are prepared to the best of my ability to teach them to at least survive if I am not there with them. I am not saying I am prepared to fight an all out war like Rambo, but I do know enough of “escape and evade”, survival, and personal protection if the need arises. I don’t expect everyone to be at that level or want to be at that level, but it does open up conversations and lets me see others thoughts.
    This conversation is quite enlightening. We are way more similar than I ever would have imagined. Oh, and that is on me, not you. I will continue to read along.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    On my person:

Watch
    Wallet
    Handgun (which one depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going)
    Spare mag or speed strip
    Streamlight Macrostream
    Kershaw Clash folder (cheap knife because I lose them, but it has the features I like)
    Cell phone

In my vehicle:

Bottle(s) of water
    Snack food, usually mixed nuts
    CGM (I'm type 1 diabetic, glucose monitoring and management is part of life)
    First aid kit
    Toolbox with everything I need to conduct pretty much any roadside repair that doesn't require a lift.
    Tow strap
    Ponchos
    Blanket
    Jump box and cables
    Plus some other things I can't remember.

I don't envision myself single-handedly overcoming some massive catastrophe as some kind of super-survivalist, but I want to be prepared for any weather-related, mechanical, or security related incident that I may encounter.

I've fixed a bunch of stuff on the side of the road for both myself and others, pulled people out of ditches, been pulled out, and had the necessities of food, water, and shelter on-hand while I was stuck.

The flashlight and pocket knife get used constantly, and the gun is just part of life. I haven't needed it often, but the times I did need it I really needed it.

It's a comforting feeling to know that you have the tools and other stuff you need to deal with most crises that might befall you on any given day. It's not so much stuff that it's a burden, or even an inconvenience. I don't even typically notice the stuff I carry on my person, and the rest just lives in the car.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    The older I get the harder it is to keep my pants up; my butt is smaller than my belly. Knowing that, my EDC gets lighter all the time. Just last week I tried suspenders, which worked good until you need to use the restroom, I got all tangled up trying to get back together; not a pretty sight.

Bacon0101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2024
    Franklin, IN
    On my person:

Watch
    Wallet
    Handgun (which one depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going)
    Spare mag or speed strip
    Streamlight Macrostream
    Kershaw Clash folder (cheap knife because I lose them, but it has the features I like)
    Cell phone

In my vehicle:

Bottle(s) of water
    Snack food, usually mixed nuts
    CGM (I'm type 1 diabetic, glucose monitoring and management is part of life)
    First aid kit
    Toolbox with everything I need to conduct pretty much any roadside repair that doesn't require a lift.
    Tow strap
    Ponchos
    Blanket
    Jump box and cables
    Plus some other things I can't remember.

I don't envision myself single-handedly overcoming some massive catastrophe as some kind of super-survivalist, but I want to be prepared for any weather-related, mechanical, or security related incident that I may encounter.

I've fixed a bunch of stuff on the side of the road for both myself and others, pulled people out of ditches, been pulled out, and had the necessities of food, water, and shelter on-hand while I was stuck.

The flashlight and pocket knife get used constantly, and the gun is just part of life. I haven't needed it often, but the times I did need it I really needed it.

It's a comforting feeling to know that you have the tools and other stuff you need to deal with most crises that might befall you on any given day. It's not so much stuff that it's a burden, or even an inconvenience. I don't even typically notice the stuff I carry on my person, and the rest just lives in the car.
    That feeling of not be “helpless” is comforting while traveling or just going to the store. Knowing you have the means and capability to either self rescue, help someone else, or all out defend yourself speaks volumes.

Bacon0101

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2024
    Franklin, IN
    The older I get the harder it is to keep my pants up; my butt is smaller than my belly. Knowing that, my EDC gets lighter all the time. Just last week I tried suspenders, which worked good until you need to use the restroom, I got all tangled up trying to get back together; not a pretty sight.
    My grandpa had the same issue and finally went to a shoulder rig. Gave him a reason to start wearing vest. Another option is just wearing coveralls and a small derringer or 25 auto in the front pocket like the old timers. I guess coveralls might give you the same issues as suspenders though. Thanks for the comment.

Top Bottom