• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Our artificial tree has lasted 30 years but is now shedding like a live tree 3 months after Christmas. I am going to start looking for the big clearance sales for something new. Probably downsize from 7ft to 6. As I know nothing about the current styles of trees or if they are all the same I am looking for knowledge here on what to look for. Just looking for a basic unlit green tree that is very easy to set up and take down and will give me another 20 years of service. Buy in price is not that important for something that will be expected to last a long time. Ease of setup and takedown is most important. Also wondering if I can use wire cutters to reduce the diameter of it?

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I switched from an unlit to a pre-lit tree a few years ago, I wish I had done it sooner. Not messing with lights at all is nice.

They make skinny models so you shouldn't have to trim one.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Are you worried about how natural it looks? Some of them today look pretty much like real trees.
    Id like it to look natural, I know there is some new style every year but I want this to not look bizarre in 15 years after this years cool style or color is long forgotten

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Balsam Hill Flip Tree vs Regular Tree​

Unlike regular artificial Christmas trees, the Flip Tree has a patented design that allows you to set it up and take it down within minutes. With this innovative technology, you can simply flip the base and attach the treetop.

How Does the Balsam Hill Flip Tree Work?​

A Flip Tree has two main parts: the base and the treetop. It’s an easy set-up Christmas tree that flips into display position in seconds. It also includes a rolling metal stand for hassle-free transportation from room to room. The wheels feature 360-degree rotation for smooth steering and locking pedals for stability.

Every Balsam Hill Flip Tree includes the following:

• Rolling metal stand with lockable 360-degree wheels
    • Easy Plug® technology so you can light up your tree with a single plug
    • Premium heavy-duty storage bags
    • Protective gloves for shaping
    • Extra bulbs and fuses (for pre-lit trees)

Reactions: oze

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I switched from an unlit to a pre-lit tree a few years ago, I wish I had done it sooner. Not messing with lights at all is nice.

They make skinny models so you shouldn't have to trim one.
    That is what I used to think.

We have a tall ceiling so my wife thinks that the 9 foot is a minimum. We bought a pre lit 9 food that is in 4 sections. 4 sets of lights are already installed. The branches hinge, so it opens when you set it upright, and folds for the box when you turn it upside down. I was happy. Quick, easy, looked ok. No problems.

The 4th year, one lighting section failed. As much as I tried, I could not get it to relight. Ended up putting a new string over it. By the end of the season, the second section failed. Add another string. The next year I cut at least 1500 wire ties and removed the permanent lights. Now we just put lights on separately.

Now she found a 12 foot tree that is "only" $600. To me that is too expensive. We don't even have kids around anymore. I told her we would change our religion before spending that much. With Christmas a couple weeks away, we will see how it turns out. BAh- HUMBUG

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    That is what I used to think.

We have a tall ceiling so my wife thinks that the 9 foot is a minimum. We bought a pre lit 9 food that is in 4 sections. 4 sets of lights are already installed. The branches hinge, so it opens when you set it upright, and folds for the box when you turn it upside down. I was happy. Quick, easy, looked ok. No problems.

The 4th year, one lighting section failed. As much as I tried, I could not get it to relight. Ended up putting a new string over it. By the end of the season, the second section failed. Add another string. The next year I cut at least 1500 wire ties and removed the permanent lights. Now we just put lights on separately.

Now she found a 12 foot tree that is "only" $600. To me that is too expensive. We don't even have kids around anymore. I told her we would change our religion before spending that much. With Christmas a couple weeks away, we will see how it turns out. BAh- HUMBUG
    Mine is just a cheap one from menards, if the lights last 5 years I'll be happy

Reactions: Leo

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    If price isn't that important, I've always been intrigued by these guys
    +1 Balsam Hill. Pre-lit, a breeze to set up, and realistic. We had an issue with the clip for the cable that allows it to be flipped for storage. Instead of sending us a new clip, they sent us a brand new replacement tree, and told us to sell or donate the first one. Someone got a great deal at Goodwill!
    20231207_144954.jpg

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was considering getting a live spruce until I heard about bugs that might be living in them.

Thought about using diatomaceous earth on and around it, but didn't want to take the chance.

They're about $40 at Walmart and not very big. Less than 2' tall. So a table top tree, really.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wife wanted a new tree and I humored her in the interest of marital bliss. She wanted a prelit tree.

Speaking from someone who just had to replace two strings of lights on my DIY Flagpole "tree", buy an unlit tree. (And they were LED, so it wasnt a burnt out bulb issue.)

Prelit tree: $300
    Unlit tree: $100
    String of lights: $30 ea

Cost to repair due to failed lights:
    Unlit tree: $30
    Prelit tree: $300.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    3 months after Christmas. I am going to start looking for the big clearance sales for something new.
    That will likely be too late, in fact it probably is too late. Christmas trees tend to be discounted in October and sell out before end of season. No retailer today wants them on their floor. The leftover trees are sold to those that liquidate them either through stores or online.

Another example far less seasonal, my brother found a generator on FBM, the guy had a bunch of them, brand new in the box, he had bid on them from Lowes, and was reselling them. They were at the end of what Lowes called their season and they dumped them for current merchandise.

Much after Christmas merchandise was purchased specifically to sell after Christmas, not just unsold leftovers…

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That will likely be too late, in fact it probably is too late. Christmas trees tend to be discounted in October and sell out before end of season. No retailer today wants them on their floor. The leftover trees are sold to those that liquidate them either through stores or online.

Another example far less seasonal, my brother found a generator on FBM, the guy had a bunch of them, brand new in the box, he had bid on them from Lowes, and was reselling them. They were at the end of what Lowes called their season and they dumped them for current merchandise.

Much after Christmas merchandise was purchased specifically to sell after Christmas, not just unsold leftovers…
    I don't think that he was talking about starting to look 3 mos after Christmas, more his tree is shedding like a real tree 3mo after.

Our artificial tree has lasted 30 years but is now shedding like a live tree 3 months after Christmas. I am going to start looking for the big clearance sales for something new. Probably downsize from 7ft to 6. As I know nothing about the current styles of trees or if they are all the same I am looking for knowledge here on what to look for. Just looking for a basic unlit green tree that is very easy to set up and take down and will give me another 20 years of service. Buy in price is not that important for something that will be expected to last a long time. Ease of setup and takedown is most important. Also wondering if I can use wire cutters to reduce the diameter of it?
    You might want to check baillies discount in N Judson. Didn't see trees listed in their ad but...

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

What I said was my current tree is shedding like a live tree would 3 months after Christmas. I plan on looking for a new one as soon as the sale notices come out

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We have a 9 foot pre lit tree, pretty sure it’s Balsam hill. I have no idea how much it cost, but my wife bought it around new years a couple years ago for what she said was over 50% off. It’s fairly easy to set up, and looks fantastic. This one has a controller that changes the lighting to pretty much whatever you want, and the leds are clear and bright.

Top Bottom