• ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Exact accounts differ, but the story is basically as follows

At the Evansville Eastland Mall, a pair of women stole a purse from an elderly woman or women. The women were confronted by several mall goers and when they were outside, an armed civilian bystander fired his handgun. Some reports say he "wanted to alert people to the purse snatching" (14news.com) or that "a bystander who was on the lot fired several rounds from a handgun at the suspects' vehicle. The suspects' vehicle was struck by some of those rounds" (courierpress.com). Social media reports are as always all over the map. Some reports say he shot out the tires. The suspects were caught by police a short time later. No one was injured by gunfire. One bystander was treated for minor injuries after being hit by the suspects car.

The shooter was not arrested and is cooperating with authorities. He was not identified.

Shots fired after attempted purse snatching at Eastland Mall - Tri-State News, Weather & Sports
    Shots fired reported at Eastland Mall - Courier Press

I really hope that there is something I am missing to this story and that a properly license, responsible gun owner would know better than to shoot either randomly to alert people or even at a suspects car/tires in a crowded mall parking lot over a purse. Sometimes I do wonder whether it would be such a bad idea to have LTCH owners at least prove they have a cursory knowledge of self defense law and justification of deadly force.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm sure the media and bystanders aren't going to get it right the first time.

Could very well be that upon confrontation, the women decided to try to run down the guy with the gun, at which time, fearing for his life, he discharged his weapon until the threat was no more.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure the media and bystanders aren't going to get it right the first time.

Could very well be that upon confrontation, the women decided to try to run down the guy with the gun, at which time, fearing for his life, he discharged his weapon until the threat was no more.

That's my best guess...

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    The fact that someone was actually struck and injured by the suspects' vehicle, and that the armed civilian has not been charged suggest that perhaps there is more to the story.

The media jumping at the chance to portray a gun-carrying guy as a trigger happy imbecile before all the facts come out? Shocking.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That's my best guess...

The fact that someone was actually struck and injured by the suspects' vehicle, and that the armed civilian has not been charged suggest that perhaps there is more to the story.

The media jumping at the chance to portray a gun-carrying guy as a trigger happy imbecile before all the facts come out? Shocking.

It's also possible there were NO shots fired.
    Anyone remember the bad AR that was blamed for the Navy Yard shooting?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Looks like the updated article states he fired after the vehicle hit a 66 year old woman and was refusing repeated commands to stop.

Felony committed in front of him, an ongoing danger to everyone around, protecting a third party from death or serious bodily injury... if they eventually charge him and I somehowend up on the jury he's walking.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Felony committed in front of him, an ongoing danger to everyone around, protecting a third party from death or serious bodily injury... if they eventually charge him and I somehowend up on the jury he's walking.

Is the D.A. up for re-election? If he can charge and then drag it out past election day he can buy a LOT of sheeple votes then drop the charges!!

P.S. He not only walks but I'll buy him a beer afterwards.

Top Bottom