• ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Recent news regarding the AZ permit and Ohio:
    The language in the reciprocity agreement has been changed to remove the ambiguity about whether one must be a resident of AZ for the AZ permit to be recognized in Ohio. So, now the AZ permit is perfectly legal in Ohio for Indiana residents.

Breakdown of AZ, FL, and UT out-of state permits:

The AZ permit adds these states to ones already recognizing the IN LTCH: DE, NE, NM, OH, and WV.
    The AZ permit costs $60 for five years with renewals costing $43. There is no special class requirement as with the UT permit, and there is no requirement for a photo.

The FL permit adds the same five states as the AZ permit: DE, NE, NM, OH, and WV.
    The FL permit costs $112 for seven years, and renewals are $102. There is no special class requirement for the FL permit, but it does require a photo.

The UT permit adds six states: DE, NE, MN, OH, WA, and WV (lose NM and pick up MN and WA.)
    The UT permit costs $51 for five years, with renewals $15.75 done online. The UT permit does require a special class, which drives the initial cost up into the $!50-ish range, depending on the instructor and where the class is held--Gander Mountain, for instance.

Hope this helps a bit for those considering out-of-state permits.

Last edited:

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Recent news regarding the AZ permit and Ohio:
    The language in the reciprocity agreement has been changed to remove the ambiguity about whether one must be a resident of AZ for the AZ permit to be recognized in Ohio. So, now the AZ permit is perfectly legal in Ohio for Indiana residents.

Breakdown of AZ, FL, and UT out-of state permits:

The AZ permit adds these states to ones already recognizing the IN LTCH: DE, NE, NM, OH, and WV.
    The AZ permit costs $60 for five years with renewals costing $43. There is no special class requirement as with the UT permit, and there is no requirement for a photo.

The FL permit adds the same five states as the AZ permit: DE, NE, NM, OH, and WV.
    The FL permit costs $112 for seven years, and renewals are $102. There is no special class requirement for the FL permit, but it does require a photo.

The UT permit adds six states: DE, NE, MN, OH, WA, and WV (lose NM and pick up WA and WV.)
    The UT permit costs $51 for five years, but renewals appear to be only $0.75 done online. The UT permit does require a special class, which drives the initial cost up into the $!50-ish range, depending on the instructor and where the class is held--Gander Mountain, for instance.

Hope this helps a bit for those considering out-of-state permits.

When you say no special class for FL, did you mean no class other than this:

Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:

• any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
    • any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    • any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    • any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    • any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

Just wondering because I'm applying for FL.

Cheers

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:

• any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
    • any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    • any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    • any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

Cheers

Yes, that is correct. UT is the only one of the three that requires a special class taught by instructors approved by UT.

You might want to consider the AZ permit, as it gets you the same additional states, has, basically, the same training requirements as FL, does not require a photo, and costs less to boot. Five years for the AZ permit vs. seven for FL, but I don't see that as worth the additional cost. Just a suggestion for your consideration.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Might be moving to FL down the road, so I need to get a NRA class out of the way. Where to go in or near 46205? Looked on the Gander Mountain site, didn't find any info on their courses (when, where, price, etc.)

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Thanks for the AZ info. That seems like a good option. Do you have a nice online source for info on that?

For those wanting to carry in Ohio there is a bill in Ohio right now that would allow IN LTCH holders to carry in Ohio because all states that recognize Ohio's permit would have to be recognized by OH. It's in the same bill as the Stand Your Ground law that passed in the OH house and moved to the senate. I think it has a chance of passing in the OH senate as well, given that 22/33 senators are republicans. Some could be against it, but that's a pretty good majority. Also, supposedly WV is waiting on IN to sign some papers to get the reciprocity going between the two states. So we could have WV and OH sometime in the near future, negating the need for a second permit for a lot of IN people.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Might be moving to FL down the road, so I need to get a NRA class out of the way. Where to go in or near 46205? Looked on the Gander Mountain site, didn't find any info on their courses (when, where, price, etc.)

I am in Fort Wayne, if you want to make the trip. Closer to (your) home is Randy DeWitt at Indy Gun Safety in Fishers, and he does a great job. If you take a class with Randy, be sure to tell him he owes me one! :)

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Thanks for the AZ info. That seems like a good option. Do you have a nice online source for info on that?
    Thanks, and, yes: www.handgunlaw.us

For those wanting to carry in Ohio there is a bill in Ohio right now that would allow IN LTCH holders to carry in Ohio because all states that recognize Ohio's permit would have to be recognized by OH. It's in the same bill as the Stand Your Ground law that passed in the OH house and moved to the senate. I think it has a chance of passing in the OH senate as well, given that 22/33 senators are republicans. Some could be against it, but that's a pretty good majority. Also, supposedly WV is waiting on IN to sign some papers to get the reciprocity going between the two states. So we could have WV and OH sometime in the near future, negating the need for a second permit for a lot of IN people.

I hope this happens this year. Came close in 2012 but got skewered at the last minute in Ohio.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Don't know about the others, but AZ also accepts military DD-214 (honorable) as having met the training requirement.

Was the AZ permit acceptance in Ohio effective Jan 1???

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville

Cheers
    Your DD214 will suffice for florida. And they're fast! Had mine inside of 60 days during the craziness.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Though I was pretty confident in what handgunlaw.us said about this, I verified it today with the Ohio Attorney General's office. They have indeed signed the new agreement and accept all AZ carry licenses. I wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth before applying for the AZ license. I'm glad to find a cheaper and easier route to carrying in OH and WV than getting UT or FL!

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    This link at USCCA is a good one also for figuring out where your licenses are honored:- https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/

It prompts you for your home state CCW first (IN) and then any out of state permits you may have and prints a map of all of the states that honor your licenses. You can try different out of state permits (AZ or FL or UT, etc) along with your IN license and figure out what you need or where you are covered. The map can be printed at a wallet size also, which is handy to carry.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Some states have them online, many just publish a list. Others may address it in legislation. Would be nice if there was a clearinghouse for the agreements, but I have yet to find one. I generally keep them for states that are questionable (Illinois) or new like Ohio.

This is a great idea to carry copies of any agreements with you on your travels. Is there a good online link anywhere that would have all of these reciprocity agreements copied and available for download?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    This is a great idea to carry copies of any agreements with you on your travels. Is there a good online link anywhere that would have all of these reciprocity agreements copied and available for download?

Some states, such as Ohio, have formal reciprocity agreements with other states; while others do not. Indiana, for instance, simply recognizes every other states' carry permits. Although Indiana may have formal reciprocity agreements with one or more other states, I am not aware of such.

Again, the best place I have found as a central information source on all things related to carry permits, recognition, reciprocity, and preemption is www.handgunlaw.us. Gary Slider has done a yeoman's job over many years to keep that site up to date with the latest, most accurate information. The map on the site is clickable and will take you to each state's applicable information.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    To clarify... The documents I tend to carry are 'intended to enlighten' any LEO that are not up to speed on their law. (I don't expect them to know them all. Specifically with regard to constantly changing firearms reciprocity agreements)

In the case of Indiana, the State Police document regarding Open Carry with an LTCH. I also have the list of prohibited places printed from Indiana Code.

For my AZ non-resident, I have documents to support reciprocity with states I travel to/through if available and any relevant 'gotchas' they may have in their law, duty to notify, prohibited places, signs carry weight of law, etc. Printed state code and any clarifying documents created by that state (or the permit issuing organization: Secretary of State, State Police, etc.) You could even add any legal precedents where courts have ruled in these areas. I have not gone that far and assume most LEOS won't pay those as much mind as the actual code.

Places like Illinois, I carry the Federal Firearms Transportation guidelines (although I now have updates to make with the Illinois CCW changes).

This makes a decent size envelope in my glovebox, but it seems to be much more effective to hand a Leo their state code to support your right, than showing them your printed map off the internet. Most of the links provided in this thread still don't have Ohio accepting non-resident AZ yet. (Granted, it's only been a few days)

I also have similar code printouts for Amateur Radio exemptions: Scanning Radios in Vehicles, use of Communication Equipment while driving, etc. Most of those fit on a single page.

I just consider it part of preparedness. I have never had an issue with Law Enforcement that wasn't handled quickly and expeditiously by being respectful and having my a$$ covered with the proper documentation. Don't have to tell them more than you need to. But sometimes you need to be prepared to educate.

Top Bottom