Are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My Les Baer Custom is very reliable, never jam or any issue so far.

My premier 2 had 3 ish ft.'s before 300 rounds and then the rear sight flew apart at something like 5000 rounds, nothing in the last 10,000 rounds or so but the extractor seems in need of some love as it now just drops out when you remove the firing pin stop.

Very reliable gun, but with Glocks I think it would be zero ftf's and no issues with the small parts.

I hate you guys for making me defend Glock but the suckers do run.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My premier 2 had 3 ish ft.'s before 300 rounds and then the rear sight flew apart at something like 5000 rounds, nothing in the last 10,000 rounds or so but the extractor seems in need of some love as it now just drops out when you remove the firing pin stop.

Very reliable gun, but with Glocks I think it would be zero ftf's and no issues with the small parts.

My guess is that a Glock with 15k plus rounds will need a part of two replaced.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I wouldn't know. My one and only Glock started having parts fall off in the first couple hundred rounds. It never made it to a 1000 before I managed to get rid of it. Never again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Agreed.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Ask again in about 65 years and we'll see if your glock is reliable.....

:popcorn:
    In 65 years we will be lucky to have electricity, let alone the internet and human life. Forward thinking Glock owners would have either holed up in Chile, left the planet or cut a deal with the lizard man invaders ratting out all the 1911 owners. Who in turn will rat out all the HiPoint owners.

The only difference between Glock owners and 1911 owners, is Glock people spend their cost savings on extra mags and guns, 1911 folks tend to own more parts. So in the end the smart ones on both sides of the aisle tend to spend the same amount of money.

now I am heading out to the garage to try flipping a revolver shut. I am 51 and just realized I have never done that.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In 65 years we will be lucky to have electricity, let alone the internet and human life. Forward thinking Glock owners would have either holed up in Chile, left the planet or cut a deal with the lizard man invaders ratting out all the 1911 owners. Who in turn will rat out all the HiPoint owners.

The only difference between Glock owners and 1911 owners, is Glock people spend their cost savings on extra mags and guns, 1911 folks tend to own more parts. So in the end the smart ones on both sides of the aisle tend to spend the same amount of money.

I can not discount much of this.
    We are already in negotiations with the advanced lizard reckon squad.
    I do have north of 50 mags for my 1911's. The lizard squad likes this.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    More frequent preventive maintenance does not equate to unreliable. An often used misnomer when people compare 1911's to other guns.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

now I am heading out to the garage to try flipping a revolver shut. I am 51 and just realized I have never done that.

Well crud! I am so hosed from a money standpoint. I own a couple of Glocks and also 1911s. I have aquired more then a few parts and accesories for each. In fact I was just looking a replacing a set of Glock plastic sights with the OEM metal sights.

Now I have developed an apprciation for the Walther P99/PPQ lineup. So :p you guys! I am getting off the Glock vs 1911 bandwagon and starting a new thread somewhere.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    More frequent preventive maintenance does not equate to unreliable. An often used misnomer when people compare 1911's to other guns.
    I am not talking about reliability, I am talking 2-3 generations from now. 1911's can be rebuilt and worked on, for Glocks it might just be easier to have another lower. For me it's not about the gun, it's about the mags. The mags need a gun so they can launch their bullets.

In daily life if your gun runs and you can make hits, your fine. If you define reliability the same way I do, then we are in agreement. If you prefer bourbon, tequila or home brewed stout (made by the wife) then we could be friends. If we drink enough, THEN we can debate your silly 1911's.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Does this mean I can't join the lizard squad
    I knew this would come up. I would say yes you are in, because I am just a platform guy, not a snob but you know the 1911 guys will want to vote on it. Probably want to maintain some sort of overall diversity/ratio balance. You know, small penis and all that crap. MRI scans show that just touching a 1911 makes you a bit touched in the head.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Although I am firmly in the 1911 corner, I must say it. If you believe this can I interest you in a Triumph or a BSA?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I knew this would come up. I would say yes you are in, because I am just a platform guy, not a snob but you know the 1911 guys will want to vote on it. Probably want to maintain some sort of overall diversity/ratio balance. You know, small penis and all that crap. MRI scans show that just touching a 1911 makes you a bit touched in the head.

I was touched in the head long before I picked up.....wait, I was 12 when I ran my 1st 1911.......Aw crap.

Top Bottom