Are surplus MP5 trigger groups legal to own?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Hi everybody,

I was at a gun show and a vendor had surplus MP5 trigger groups for sale. He told me they are legal to own and come with all of the parts, including the sear.

Are these legal to possess? He told me they were. I looked on gunbroker and saw some for sale to

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    On an MP5, there are two ways machine guns were registered - receiver and registered sear / trigger pack.

Technically if it’s not a registered pack, it’s legal to own as long as you don’t have a convertible MP5 around. If it was registered and “lost,” then you could be in for a long vacation in camp Fed.

Check the packs for serial numbers. If it has no serial number ANYWHERE on the lower including engraved on any internal metal parts, it’s probably ok.

But I wouldn’t keep one around. Just my opinion.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Legally speaking the trigger housings and groups are perfectly legal and no problem to own. The receivers of the firearms made as semi autos were modified so as to prevent the full auto trigger groups from fitting. For that reason there is no way you can fit a full auto group on a semi auto without modifying something drastically and in doing that you're guilty of a crime.

Modifying the trigger pack, whether registered or not, requires cutting out the forward portion that retains the trip sear. Doing this basically turns the trigger housing into a semi auto only trigger housing and this is done all the time by guys who build their own firearms. It is perfectly legal.

Modifying the firearm by removing the blocking bar in the receiver is a criminal offense if you have no license. It is classified as making an unregistered machinegun. Can it be done? Yes it can. But many crimes can be committed and are not. If you don't commit the crime you can't legally be prosecuted. That is the law.

The only real problem comes in when people don't really know the rules and laws but think they do. Most cops have no idea what is legal and what isn't.

Frank

Top Bottom