Are Dan Wesson revolvers as highly regarded as their pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Have a few in .38,.357,.44mag all are reliable and accurate. That said IMHO non of mine (all older) have as smooth of action as what came on my also older S/W 686 or 617.

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    My father is huge fan of the DW revolvers going back to the original revolvers. He owns two of the Model 15 revolvers. I have shot both quite a few times. Very accurate and a great trigger. The trigger rivals IMO the older S&W revolvers, maybe even a bit better.

If you can buy one for a decent price, yes, buy it.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Back in the day *late 1980's and early 90's. Dan Wessons were the target revolvers. I shot PPC matches on a AF team. Most of us shot our issued S&W model 15 or personal 686 but several had Dan Wessons and did well.

The unique thing with Dan Wessons was thw barrel change allowed them to run a 2 1/2" i a snubby category, 4" on service and a 6 or 8 on an open. Bot sure how legally santioned it was but that was the divisions they shot

All the DW revolvers did well and I'm sure the new ones are just as well made

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    DW has had a good revolver. The only problem with the 15 is people over tighten the grip screw which prevents the hammer from locking back in single action. Easy fix.

Little known fact is DW made the model 15 for High Standard back in '74-'75 and they called it 'Sentinel Mark II' and was sold at Sears and Roebuck. They can usually be bought for a song.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My dad had one years ago with the 3? different barrels, as I remember it had a great trigger, and very accurate, I've seen some in the past, that I should have bought.....

TheJeff

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    US
    I'm a huge fan of the DW revolvers. The Model 15 revolvers are very accurate and a great trigger. And I've had mine for a couple of years now.

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    I’ve had several magnum and SuperMag Dan Wessons, and they’ve all shot fantastically.

The ability to set the barrel/cylinder gap to each loading is great, tensioned barrel setup is super-accurate by reducing barrel whip.

Double action shooting is not as smooth as a S&W, but single-action break is usually very crisp

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Saw a .41 magnum that looked very nice. Would be a nice pairing to the .41 Marlin. Any opinions or experience with the Dan Wesson's appreciated.

I love my three (.22 LR, .357 Mag, .44 Mag). How much are they asking for it? And if you end up not buying it...I wouldn't mind adding a .41 Mag to the fleet. :-)

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I love my three (.22 LR, .357 Mag, .44 Mag). How much are they asking for it? And if you end up not buying it...I wouldn't mind adding a .41 Mag to the fleet. :-)

At the risk of adding another bidder, here's what I'm looking at. Maybe you can tell me more about it. Look at the close up picks. That's an interesting pebble-like finish along the top, if you look by the porting. Bead Blasted? And what's the dial looking thingy by the muzzle?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894325231

I havn't bid on this, but it's getting kinda salty already. I'm also watching some Ruger Redhawks in .41.

Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    OK. Having done just a minimum of research, the dial thingy is the barrel adjuster knob thingy.

Yeah, they used different approaches to that during different eras. The Dan Wesson revolvers have been through a lot of different iterations, manufacturing locations, and company ownerships.

The pebble-like texture is the natural surface from the stainless steel casting process. The smooth parts have been machined and polished. AMT/IAI pistols are like that too.

I won't be bidding on that one and it turns out it was already on my "watching" list on GB. It's currently more than I would want to pay, but I also bet that it will go up a bit more before the auction ends. Those later stainless guns, and also guns with that style of porting, just aren't my cup of tea. I'm sure it would shoot just fine though.

Last edited:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    OK. Having done just a minimum of research, the dial thingy is the barrel adjuster knob thingy.

That's an interesting way of describing the barrel nut.

Have had both flush nuts and external nuts as seen on early models, this is the first one of this style I've seen leading me to believe someone knew someone with a machine shop. All factory barrel nuts regardless of style came with a wrench cause it's not something one would thumb tighten with a knurled knob.

Judging by the clean look on the cylinder front face, somebody has done some recent polishing on that gun. That barrel has quite a bit of recess from the shroud front, am scratching my head on that feature.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    That's an interesting way of describing the barrel nut.

Have had both flush nuts and external nuts as seen on early models, this is the first one of this style I've seen leading me to believe someone knew someone with a machine shop. All factory barrel nuts regardless of style came with a wrench cause it's not something one would thumb tighten with a knurled knob.

Judging by the clean look on the cylinder front face, somebody has done some recent polishing on that gun. That barrel has quite a bit of recess from the shroud front, am scratching my head on that feature.

Yes, I do get overly techie sometimes.:)

Although I love the looks of this model, I never intend to change barrels, so I may just concentrate on a Ruger or Smith. That "barrel nut" thingy looks a little strange to me also.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Saw a .41 magnum that looked very nice. Would be a nice pairing to the .41 Marlin. Any opinions or experience with the Dan Wesson's appreciated.

If you go to the Greenfield gun show this weekend there will be a dealer there that probably still has a DW 4 barrel pistol pack. You can't miss him. He will be within 20 feet of the front door and looks like one half of Master/Blaster from the Mad Max BT movie. Last price I saw on it was about 2K. Nice set though.

Top Bottom