• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crazyj789

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Valparaiso
    I was reading the ATF website and the way I was understanding it was AOW stamps are the same price as the rest of the stamps. Is this true? Instead of $5 they are $200? I tried to search the forum and read the FAQ but did not find my answer.

Thanks

crazyj789

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Valparaiso
    Sorry for possibly being behind the times on this. I just recently became addicted to NFA items LOL and wanted to build an AOW. Still waiting on my SBR stamp 6 months and still waiting and my suppressor 2 months and still waiting.

crazyj789

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Valparaiso
    I was all excited that this time I only had to give .gov $5 instead of $200 but then reading the atf website I lost my excitment. So Im turning to INGO to confirm that this is the case

crazyj789

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Valparaiso
    I have a Intratec KG9 open bolt that I wanted to put the factory forward grip on. I only wanted to spend $5 to do it but I dont know about $200 in taxes

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have a Intratec KG9 open bolt that I wanted to put the factory forward grip on. I only wanted to spend $5 to do it but I dont know about $200 in taxes
    Take it to a c3 builder (i forget the ffl #) and have them register as the builder and install the grip. Pay the dealer for their time and your $5 stamp.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You want an 07 FFL with an 02 SOT. They can make it into an AOW, register it, and transfer it back to you on a $5 stamp, just like Don said.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Thank you all for the info. I will do what ryknoll3 said and have a dealer make it into an AOW and transfer from there.

I've done that with some SBRs, having ZR Tactical in Noblesville do the conversion and then transfer them back to me (they are a 07/02). Just keep in mind you'll need to transfer them back to you on a Form 4, which is still taking quite a while. If you do it yourself on a Form 1 (and you have a trust), you can EFile and those are taking about 30 days right now.

So, if you are impatient (like me), it might be worth the extra $195 to save 5 or 6 months.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Children, children. Calm down or I'll turn this forum around.

Realistically, there wasn't much of benefit of doing that per se. I've had ZR Tactical do all of my SBRs (except my Uzi, since I just put a new barrel on it myself because it's a 10 second swap out). My first two (AK SBRs) were built before I got an NFA trust, so it was basically no real difference in having ZR build them with my title 1 guns and then Form 4 them to me, or doing a Form 1 and then having them do the mods. In the balance, I decided that having a manufacturer's name on them rather than my own might be slightly more valuable if I decided to sell them down the road, so I went with having them do it. For my MP5 and PS90 SBRs though, I had the trust and could efile a Form 1 and get it back in 30 days or less, so I went that route.

Edit: I realize that I should have specified that none of my SBRs were ARs and as such (except for the Uzi) all required some machining and other work to make them into SBRs. For AR SBRs, there is absolutely no point in doing anything other than a Form 1 and putting it together yourself.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom