Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Multi part question:

Part 1:

I purchased this sling mount for my AR:

item_422_1_lg.jpg

well, long story short it would not fit over my buffer tube threads, so Im not using it. Is this normal? I can open up the hole a bit if need be to make it fit.

Part 2:

Im going to an Appleseed event the end of april. I currently have my primary gun, 10-22, ready to go with slings. I need/want to setup this my AR with a properly working sling and mounts. Any specific suggestions here? The USGI sling on my 10-22 is setup with QD attachments, so it would be nice if I could use it on both. Im still very much a newb on the AR platform, so Im not up to speed on all the ways to do things.

thanks,
    clay

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    well, long story short it would not fit over my buffer tube threads, so Im not using it. Is this normal? I can open up the hole a bit if need be to make it fit.

Not "normal". Stupid question - are you installing the plate properly, with the eyelet on the left side and the post aligned with the groove on the bottom of the threaded section of the tube? If so, and it won't physically fit over the tube, either your tube or plate is out of spec. Without knowing the brand/style of either part, it's hard to say which is the culprit.

I need/want to setup this my AR with a properly working sling and mounts. Any specific suggestions here? The USGI sling on my 10-22 is setup with QD attachments, so it would be nice if I could use it on both.

What kind of QD attachments does your 10/22 sling have? If they are HK-type snap hooks, you're fine. Anything else, and you'll need a different rear mount for your AR...

I prefer a quick-adjustable 2-point sling like the Viking VTAC or Blue Force Gear VCAS on my long guns; they provide all the benefits of both a single and 3-point sling with none of the downsides. I have mine set up with Uncle Mike's QD swivels front and rear, so I can get by with just owning a couple slings and using them on multiple long guns. The only guns I haven't changed over yet are my 9mm SBR and my 10/22; they are both relatively small and light, so I can get by OK with a single-point sling there.

My :twocents:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Not "normal". Stupid question - are you installing the plate properly, with the eyelet on the left side and the post aligned with the groove on the bottom of the threaded section of the tube? If so, and it won't physically fit over the tube, either your tube or plate is out of spec. Without knowing the brand/style of either part, it's hard to say which is the culprit.

Yes, tried to install correctly. Its a Magpul CTR stock and tube so Im guessing the plate is out of spec.

What kind of QD attachments does your 10/22 sling have? If they are HK-type snap hooks, you're fine. Anything else, and you'll need a different rear mount for your AR...
    Its actually an Uncle Mikes QD swivel front and rear, like this:

QD-Super-Swivels-For-Most-P.jpg

My main concern is will I be able to use the sling at an appleseed?

thanks for the info!

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My main concern is will I be able to use the sling at an appleseed?

I don't know what kind of sling an Appleseed event requires, but there's no way to put a sling equipped with the pictured swivels onto your AR using the endplate you bought. You'd be better off just unthreading the sling from your 10/22 and installing it onto your AR using the existing front and rear sling mounts (unless your AR doesn't have them, of course).

Hmmmmmmm, is the Magpul CTR designed to use something like this:

Yes, that would be the Uncle Mike's pushbutton QD swivel I spoke of earlier.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think we're approaching slings from opposite ends of the spectrum, here.

For Appleseed, the primary use of the sling is as a device to stabilize one's shooting platform. If they are used for carrying the rifle, I am unaware of it.

I think shooter521 is coming from the perspective of the use of a sling on a rifle intended for combat/defensive use. In that case, it's primary use is to secure the weapon to the user, especially when both hands are needed for some reason.

Some of the quick-adjustable 2-point slings like the VTAC also allow for some use for support when shooting, but it is uncommon to see someone use it that way.

Different applications, different gear.

In addition, if you wish to use a sling for support a la Appleseed with an AR-type rifle, you really ought to get some kind of freefloat foreend. If not, when you use the sling, it will apply a bending moment to the barrel. If you don't do it exactly the same way each time, your point of impact will change. A freefloat tube eliminates that problem.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There are two sizes for the buffer tube. On is a Commercial size, the other is Mil- spec. The Commercial is larger by a fraction. You will need to get the correct size. If you just bought it, you should be able to exchange for the correct size.

Bushmaster ARs use the Commercial size buffer tubes.

Good Luck my friend.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Rhino, you are right on. I hope the OP understands what you were saying and spends his money on the correct equipment. ie; a two point GI web sling if he is planning on using his AR at the Appleseed. I am not clear whether he is going to use his 10-22 or AR from the post.

I think at Appleseed, with the AR15, they teach a snug sling, not a tight sling. This is to accomodate the AR's without float tubes. I'm pretty sure I read this on the Appleseed forum..

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Rhino, you are right on. I hope the OP understands what you were saying and spends his money on the correct equipment. ie; a two point GI web sling if he is planning on using his AR at the Appleseed. I am not clear whether he is going to use his 10-22 or AR from the post.

I think at Appleseed, with the AR15, they teach a snug sling, not a tight sling. This is to accomodate the AR's without float tubes. I'm pretty sure I read this on the Appleseed forum..

Yup, I understand what I need, just not sure how to get there from here ;)

As for the appleseed, I have my 10-22 setup for the appleseed, except for the tech sights that are in the mail. I plan to use it, but I also plan to bring my AR as a backup, so I want to make sure its setup correctly.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup, I understand what I need, just not sure how to get there from here ;)

As for the appleseed, I have my 10-22 setup for the appleseed, except for the tech sights that are in the mail. I plan to use it, but I also plan to bring my AR as a backup, so I want to make sure its setup correctly.

In that case, you're probably best served by getting a GI web sling and threading it through the existing sling attachment points on your AR. With my extremely limited experience, I think the cotton will probably serve you better than the nylon because it is less slippery.

The sling you loop you featured in your initial post probably won't work as well for you as just using the rear "swivel" already on the buttstock. It was designed for using more modern sling designs with for different applications (i.e. not supportive shooting slings).

For what it's worth, that kind of sling (which "we" call a "carry strap") can also be used for securing the rifle to the body when necessary as well, either for carry (I think "African Carry" - support side, muzzle down is best) or for transitions to the sidearm. For most defensive uses of an AR (typically CQB situations), such slings will not be used for support, but will probably just be "trapped" with the support hand against the fore end in order to keep it out of the way until needed.

Top Bottom