• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhayse32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    I posted a few weeks back about looking for a "cheaper" AR15, and after looking around I found there really aren't a TON of options. Seems like most come in around $800-$1000 with a few cheaper models. With these prices I have began to get interested in a 7.62 instead (.308)....

What are some good cost friendly options? Also, would it be better to build one from scratch?

Thanks again, always appreciate the help and information!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If you want ar10 then get ready to pony up, cause a $1000 will be short. Only ar10 I know of that isn't $1300+ is PSA. And those don't have many reviews yet.

ETA: I see Armalite has a bare bones ar10 for $1000

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    A good AR isn't cheap.

30 cal ammo or hand loading components are insane. I would only go the 308 route if money is no object you hand load and have a long range place to utilize it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Depending on what you're looking for, I think there are a LOT of good options at $800 and some decent below it.

What are you looking for and wanting to do with the rifle?

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    When you say "7.62" are you referring to 7.62x51 for an AR? If so, I'm confused by your interest in this caliber since it seems like $1000 is more than you want to pay for an AR? Your options in a 7.62 AR are far more limited than a 5.56, and it will be far more expensive to shoot. Components are not compatible across the board like 5.56 and only two that I can think of under $1000 (PSA and an Armalite). In my opinion, building your own would be a huge PITA considering lack of compatibility with parts unless you have a lot of prior experience.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    A good AR isn't cheap.

30 cal ammo or hand loading components are insane. I would only go the 308 route if money is no object you hand load and have a long range place to utilize it.

This is exactly right!!!please listen to this advice. If you are worries about a price difference of a couple hundred dollars, there's no way you'll be able to get much trigger time at nearly $1/rd.

Get a .223/5.56

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If you cant find an AR under $800 or $1000, you're looking in the wrong places.
    $600 range - dpms oracle/sportical, m&p sport, maybe the new bare bones ruger, or some with composite (plastic) receivers like bushmaster car, even the mossberg mmr is an option
    $800+ - gets you better furniture, a regular dust cover & brass deflector. Sometimes gets you free floated barrel and perhaps more quality control. ... then from there you'll get into stainless barrels, hpmt testing qc, fancier furniture, nickel boron bcg, etc.

Check local shops, kyguncoDOTcom, bud's, impactguns, etc

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    My $1,600 .308
    Mega 18" barrel
    Magpul PRO buis
    BCM mod3 charging handle
    MFT Engage pistol grip
    Magpul CTR stock
    Geissele SSA-E
    YHM qd brake
    Everything else is standard PSA PA-10
    Dad's $1,700 .308
    Mega 18" barrel
    Magpul PRO buis
    BCM mod3 charging handle
    Magpul MOE+ pistol grip
    Magpul MOE rifle stock
    Geissele SSA-E
    Aero receiver set and bcg, CMMG lpk

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I have one of the new DPMS GIIs in 308. It was right at $1200 and is a decent shooter.
    About a month ago, I bought parts from a couple places and built an AR15. It is a better shooter than my Stag Model 3 and I have just under $463 in it including shipping. I did have a rear sight that I used already in stock so I didn't include that in the price.
    If you can't find an AR under $800, you don't know where to look!
    I reload for my GII 308 and even then it still costs me roughly 55 cents/round. Not cheap!

Matt

dhayse32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks everyone. Still very new this the AR platform. Mainly a shotgun/bolt action guy so I have much to learn.

After reading the advice, looks like 223/5.56 is the smarter buy for me. Will probably look to buy a complete upper and lower and go from there. PSA has some great deals on lowers, hopefully I can find a good deal on an upper.

Depending on what you're looking for, I think there are a LOT of good options at $800 and some decent below it.

What are you looking for and wanting to do with the rifle?

100% Coyote gun. I am overpopulated!

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I was gonna suggest one of PSA's rifle kits but all but one is out of stock. I'm not coyote experienced so not sure what you'd need specifically for them.
    All you need other than the rifle kit is a stripped lower receiver and optics.
    Matt

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I wasn't going to post, probably shouldn't now but.....
    Palmetto has 18 inch COMPLETE stainless uppers in 308 for $649 to 1000....they just had free shipping this weekend. Palmetto also has stripped lowers for $79 to $129....you will need a AR15 lower build kit for $45 from Anderson and 308 specific pins..about $14....you need an 308 specific buffer and spring unless you throw down for an adjustable gas block.
    I'm not saying some people on here are giving you bad advice but....

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I only say these things as I am putting together an 308 AR right now and have researched it ....instead of telling you something someone once told me....I was told to spring for a matched upper and lower if you want a better fit but I don't know if that's true or not. I did get an Aero upper and lower (matched, stripped) for $210....
    That being said....you can piece together an AR15 with really decent parts for $600....or Ruger AR DI rifles are cheap and CDNNsports.com just had piston Ruger AR 15 for $799....

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I wasn't going to post, probably shouldn't now but.....
    Palmetto has 18 inch COMPLETE stainless uppers in 308 for $649 to 1000....they just had free shipping this weekend. Palmetto also has stripped lowers for $79 to $129....you will need a AR15 lower build kit for $45 from Anderson and 308 specific pins..about $14....you need an 308 specific buffer and spring unless you throw down for an adjustable gas block.
    I'm not saying some people on here are giving you bad advice but....
    So from your experience, which advice given is bad? How many 7.62 rifles have you built? (So that we know how much faith to put into your experience)

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    So from your experience, which advice given is bad? How many 7.62 rifles have you built? (So that we know how much faith to put into your experience)

Jeremy,
    I would love to call people out but just know better than to even do it as people get "butt hurt." I gave examples of my current build and parts prices..that should be sufficient. I had also left out that someone currently has the S&W M&P10 for $1099...if you are a person that needs brand names. I am to ignorant to be biased towards one manufacturer over another...
    I agree in principle with what you had posted ....
    I can find .308 ammo all day long for a better price than people have listed but those guys are talking brass case or match grade ammo...

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Jeremy,
    I would love to call people out but just know better than to even do it as people get "butt hurt." I gave examples of my current build and parts prices..that should be sufficient. I had also left out that someone currently has the S&W M&P10 for $1099...if you are a person that needs brand names. I am to ignorant to be biased towards one manufacturer over another...
    I agree in principle with what you had posted ....
    I can find .308 ammo all day long for a better price than people have listed but those guys are talking brass case or match grade ammo...
    It's all good with me. But your "budget" .308 build is not done yet from what I'm gathering, so you really don't know how tricky or expensive it will be to get one of these things running right either. Keep in mind, the OP will be brand new to the AR world.

Top Bottom