• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I recently received a promotion at work. My wife agreed that once I got the promotion, I could buy my Garand. But, now I've started looking at an AR-15. I'm thinking that from the CMP, my Garand would be around $600, and I should be able to build an AR-15 for around $700. In my mind, the $100 price difference isn't all that much, so they are comparable in terms of price to me.

If you didn't own either one, which would you buy, and why?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    AR15 Because it can be custom built and changed a 100 times. You will enjoy shooting it a lot more, less recoil. M1's are fun but if I could only have one its the AR15. Just get promoted again then buy the M1. Congrats on the promotion.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If it were me, I'd do an AR build. I've looked at getting a Garand, but there is no way I'd give up my AR for one

:twocents:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My plan was to buy the M1 first. The new political climate has changed that. I will be building my 5.56 AR and 6.5 Grendel AR first. Then acquire an M1. Hopefully, Barry will not eliminate CMP before I do so.

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I agree get he AR first. If you shop around you can usually build a basic A2 16 or 20in for around $600 but you know the cost can (and probably will) go up by the time you say I want this and that!:):

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Man, I'm in the same boat as you are. Really want and M1-Garand. But, given the uncertainty in the future of a new AWB, I'm going with the AR first, and hoping that the Garand slips through as a piece of military history, and is still available in the future when the AR is not.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I agree with the other posters that an AR should be a priority, but you will still need lots of mags and ammo for it. 30.06 ammo on en bloc clips from the CMP is far cheaper than 223 ammo right now.

If money really is that tight, I would buy the AR lower now and a CMP Service grade, as much ammo of both calibers that you can afford, and get the AR built over time.

Sure the M1 is an obsolete club compared to an AR, but as a civilian defense rifle, it ain't no slouch and still has some advantages over the mouse gun.

Guns are an investment, just like stocks, bonds, precious metals, and savings accounts. I have never spent money on guns. But my wife sure spends a lot of money on "frillies". At the end of the year, I still have my guns that are worth at least what I paid for them, her "frills" are long gone and worthless.

That is why it drives me slightly nutty when I hear someone say; "my wife won't let me buy a gun"....Would she say the same if you wanted to "buy" (open) a savings account?

My wife has a listing of all my firearms along with their approximate values, so when I cross over, she can sell them and use the money for that naked singles cruise in the Med.

Not pointing a finger, for sure, just expressing my opinion....

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Exactly, but the lower and a Garand. The 30-06 from the CMP is too good of a deal. Gradually build up the AR.

Motivator.jpg

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I think that I'm going to put through my paperwork for the CMP, and order the receiver for my AR-15. If I buy the Garand, I want to pick it out myself, which would mean a trip over to Ohio. If I can't get that in by the end of the year, then I'll go with the AR now and get the Garand for my birthday in March.

Thanks again.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    You'll be happy with the investment in the Garand, nice ones have really dried up lately and a finer piece of American military heritage can't be had at any price. Enjoy it!:patriot:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'd go with the garand. Ammo is cheaper and you can clip 32 rounds for under $4. If you are lucky, you can find ar mags for $10. Once you hear the chink sound, you'll never go back.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    If I buy the Garand, I want to pick it out myself, which would mean a trip over to Ohio.

Talk to some more experienced CMP people to get the more certain scoop - but word I have always heard what you are proposing here is not a good idea.

It is possible things have changed lately, but as of the time I got my CMP Garand, service grade rifles ordered from the armorers were generally much better than anything you could find in the store.

I know it goes against the grain to buy sight unseen, but I am very pleased with the M1 I got. I have never known of anyone being displeased with their CMP purchase. Everyone I have known who actually went to OH to look said the rifles they got randomly in the mail were much better.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Talk to some more experienced CMP people to get the more certain scoop - but word I have always heard what you are proposing here is not a good idea.

It is possible things have changed lately, but as of the time I got my CMP Garand, service grade rifles ordered from the armorers were generally much better than anything you could find in the store.

I know it goes against the grain to buy sight unseen, but I am very pleased with the M1 I got. I have never known of anyone being displeased with their CMP purchase. Everyone I have known who actually went to OH to look said the rifles they got randomly in the mail were much better.

This is very true. The way the North Store works is that a Garand is not replaced in the store unless one is purchased. So, eventually all the ones in the store are beaters that no one wants. For the most part you cannot request they bring other guns out if the shelves are stocked. So what happens is you get 10 collectors standing around with their hands in the pockets and when a gun sells and they replace it on the shelf everyonw makes a mad dash to see what the replacement is.

I have always been better off mail ordering. The CMP also tends to under grade so a service grade ends up looking nicer then the description.

If you do decide on a road trip you can often go to the CMP website forum and find a carpool from Indy.

Good Luck!!!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    In all seriousness, I would willingly give up my .223 dies, mags, AR and other accutriments (ammo, brass, bullets, etc...) of such for a good quality M1. (Hint, Hint to any owners out there! :) ) I recently visited the CMP site (dont belong to any "clubs"). All they have left are rack and field grade M1s, with the service grades going for the rate that one can purchase an essentially new one from a dealer. Helping the CMP is great, but their selection is a little shakey right now. I have heard rumors of new Special grade M1s coming in, but they are literally an arm and a leg. I hope the CMP undergrades em! :D

They are a powerful arm that has little equal today (other than an AR10) in my mind. There are 500 little things people will say is wrong with it, but style and long range punch matter to me too. It heralds back to a time where marksmanship and accuracy trumped over tactical rounds and black plastic.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Going to Camp Pery is always fun. I agree antsi though you will get a better one through the mail. Get your M1 then go to Camp Perry to buy ammo. If you go during the Nationals they have what they call "commercial row". Lots of manufactures and dealers set up and some great deals. It will be interesting this year to see what kind of stock they will be able to bring. I highly recommend going when they have an EIC match. They provide the weapons and military coaches. 2 day course for 35.00 and they have lodging real cheap.

Top Bottom