Apartment owner protects himself from a home invasion robbery.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    So: how many Democrat politicians are volunteering to live in the high-density settlements they advocate?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Looks like the home defender could have actually hit the perps if he had positioned himself correctly behind the door. But then he would’ve put himself in the line of fire of their gun.

I think somewhere way back when in ATM’s “The Open Carry Argument” thread someone made the statement the element of surprise is not a defensive tactic, and I agreed with them.

I know look back on that statement as quite naïve. There are countless examples of the element of surprise being used as a defensive tactic, and this is one of them. John Corriea of Active Self Protection calls this “waiting your turn”.

I’ll skip the Morgan Freeman meme but “He’s right, you know”.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I hope the "victim" is charged. At no point was his life in danger. Blindly firing through a door into a public hallway is reckless at a minimum and likely criminal.
    “At no point was his life in danger“? Your “victim” had the legal right to terminate an unlawful entry into his residence. The perp had a gun out and were beating on his door. Would you be standing in the hallway with the perp at that point? Jeez Louise, this ain’t rocket science. I guess he could’ve waited for them to enter his apartment with the firearm??? Not me.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Your “victim” had the legal right to terminate an unlawful entry into his residence. The perp had a gun out and were beating on his door. Would you be standing in the hallway with the pro at that point? Jeez Louise, this ain’t rocket science.
    I would be standing to the side of the door with my weapon ready & police on speaker phone. isn't blasting through a door what we criticized Biden for recommending? It did not appear from the footage there was any damage to the door except the dozen bullet holes. Yes, if the door started to give then it would be reasonable to defend yourself.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You’ve used the word “blindly” and the phrase “blasting through a door“. The doorbell camera changes that completely. this isn’t what slow Joe was talking about. And doors don’t “start to give“. They fail completely when breached.

Two words: “Castle Doctrine”.

And I sure as hell wouldn’t be holding a gun in one hand in my phone in the other. Call the cops later.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Apartment owner protects himself from a home invasion robbery.
    This has the ring camera footage. Good thing the neighbors were not home!!!

News clip says burglary, I’m saying armed/attempted armed robbery. Can we get Denny in here to Denny this please?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    You’ve used the word “blindly” and the phrase “blasting through a door“. The doorbell camera changes that completely. this isn’t what slow Joe was talking about. And doors don’t “start to give“. They fail completely when breached.

Two words: “Castle Doctrine”.

And I sure as hell wouldn’t be holding a gun in one hand in my phone in the other. Call the cops later.
    I will freely admit it is gray, more so as we only have a single news report for the facts. I am just offering my opinion.

To your last point, I specified speaker phone to allow full control of one's firearm.

You cite the doorbell camera changing everything. But that means the apartment dweller is doing what you say is wrong. He has a phone in one hand and a gun in the other. Either he is watching the phone and shooting through the door without looking (blindly), or he is looking at the door while shooting and not seeing the hallway.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I will freely admit it is gray, more so as we only have a single news report for the facts. I am just offering my opinion.

To your last point, I specified speaker phone to allow full control of one's firearm.

You cite the doorbell camera changing everything. But that means the apartment dweller is doing what you say is wrong. He has a phone in one hand and a gun in the other. Either he is watching the phone and shooting through the door without looking (blindly), or he is looking at the door while shooting and not seeing the hallway.
    In my mind, with that camera up on his phone, this is no different than him having a glass window in the door so he could see what was happening. We were watching exactly what the homeowner saw. And you can CLEARLY see two armed men actively kicking down his door while he is on the other side watching it flex. There is zero ambiguity here. This would get a no bill or a not guilty from me depending on which jury I was on.

And it would be burglary. Resident lied and told the perps he was not home. They believed they were going to kick down the door and steal his :poop: with no one to stop them.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

When the **** is hitting the fan and people are trying to break in your door, in reality, do you really have time to initiate a call to the cops and have the phone close enough to communicate effectively with just a speakerphone? I highly doubt it. in that scenario, I guarantee you, anyone would initiate that call with phone in hand and there’s not time for that. Period.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I hope the "victim" is charged. At no point was his life in danger. Blindly firing through a door into a public hallway is reckless at a minimum and likely criminal.
    There is the risk of shooting through the neighbor's apartment. Know your backstop. It's not ideal, but put yourself in his shoes. It was 2 people trying to enter, at least 2. One ready to shoot. That's not good odds.
    I don't even know if calling out a warning would be wise there.

Look at it this way. There's good odds he would be in the forever box by one or the other. Taking evasive action had the lowest risk. He did what he thought he had to to minimize the threat to himself and his brother in that moment, in their situation. Doing so had risk, inviting them in even more so.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Yes, if the door started to give then it would be reasonable to defend yourself.

Would the next kick have defeated the door?

How would you expect to evaluate that in any time that mattered? They are kicking the door. They are coming.

My own first thought was that the victim could have yelled from inside, showing that he was home and possibly breaking the burglary. My second thought was that the victim did well not to **** his pants and try to hide in it while the animals had their way.

As an asside, when i moved in to my apartment, i spent a little time figuring angles that i could shoot through the front door and have the rounds probably strike the floor before going into my neighbors apartment.

Top Bottom