• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    I work for a company, and sometimes the shifts, like tonight (5p-5a) are long, and all I am doing is sitting in my vehicle, making sure nothing happens...

Anyone here work security? Any suggestions on things to do? Fortunately, this week I've been sitting outside a house that has WiFi, so I've brought my laptop and can catch up on INGO :yesway:

any sites i should check out? INGO is pretty dead at 2am!

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    You need to start online schooling through an accredited university. You could be doing ALL your homework while you are working. Seriously, take a look. Get something Indiana Wesleyan, or take a couple online classes through Ivy. THAT is what you could be doing. THEN, you could quit a get something better.

chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    You need to start online schooling through an accredited university. You could be doing ALL your homework while you are working. Seriously, take a look. Get something Indiana Wesleyan, or take a couple online classes through Ivy. THAT is what you could be doing. THEN, you could quit a get something better.

well, i'm a contracted guard, so i'm working every week, and it's not always long shifts. just happens that a disgruntled ex-employee made some threats to his supervisor, so they've hired armed guards for the week to make sure he doesn't go down to her house...

as far as school, i'm a student at IUPUI. By 'quit and get something better', do you mean quit this job? It's actually looking like I'll be getting hired onto the staff next year, and moving to OH to manage the OH branch...so, I'm not complaining about the job.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you carry a radio, I surly hope you do, get out and do some foot patrols around your post. Do some stretching and a little jogging if the area is conducive to having a person jogging. This will keep you more alert for the long vehicle look-out post time.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Keep contributing to INGO as well :yesway:

Good luck in your career. There will be more positions like your current job if things keep going south.

TK :ingo:

chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    If you carry a radio, I surly hope you do, get out and do some foot patrols around your post. Do some stretching and a little jogging if the area is conducive to having a person jogging. This will keep you more alert for the long vehicle look-out post time.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Keep contributing to INGO as well :yesway:

Good luck in your career. There will be more positions like your current job if things keep going south.

TK :ingo:

no radio...just my cell and G22 :ar15:

this particular job is in Lawrence, so I'm not too fond of going for a jog (i think i witnessed some drug deals go down last night :dunno:). I do get out of my vehicle from time to time and walk the driveway i'm parked in.

and as long as there's crime, and fear for protection, there will always be a job!

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Be careful. You will be writing, or texting, and the bad guy your watching for will sneak up and get you before going to the house. It happens in all the movies.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I work with Chiggens at his "day" job...he should really be keeping an eye out. I also said i should be in the back yard with camo face paint in a tree...but hey, they didn't take me up on my offer ha.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I tried to use the link to apply. But then it has to have the name of the email server to send it. Prob is I have yahoo mail, and it said that it doesn't support the http style that yahoo uses. I went though the help stuff and it figured out I could use Windows live, so I installed that. And still having probs. Can anyone help me here?

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Did a bunch of armed security in the past. Seemed like that's all i could do after leaving Active Duty with a Infantry MOS. You guys that are asking try any of the security companies in Indy. They are always hiring. Another thing i did for a while is Corrections. You guys may try that as well.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I work for a company, and sometimes the shifts, like tonight (5p-5a) are long, and all I am doing is sitting in my vehicle, making sure nothing happens...

any sites i should check out? INGO is pretty dead at 2am!

I used to work night shift with similar duties to some extent. Art Bell/Coast to Coast AM was a great show on the radio from midnight to about 5AM. I am not sure of the times now, but the show is on WIBC. They have some really good and outrageous things they talk about.

You might try to get into reading books as well.

Another thing which will make time go by is to get your ham radio license. You don't need it to talk, but I believe (don't quote me on this) if you have a ham license, you can legally have a police scanner in your vehicle. My understand up to this point is that a digital scanner can pick up the digital IMPD and state police channels. Right now the digital scanners are costly, but if you see yourself doing this line of work for years to come, it might be something nice to invest in. Along these lines, a good CB, ham radio, and shortwave radio can help break the silence. An I-Pod or Sirius Sat. radio can help give more options as well.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    I used to work night shift with similar duties to some extent. Art Bell/Coast to Coast AM was a great show on the radio from midnight to about 5AM. I am not sure of the times now, but the show is on WIBC. They have some really good and outrageous things they talk about.

yep really good and outrageous stuff...listening to it now
    George Noory now 11pm - 5am weekdays. ..93.1
    Home - Coast to Coast AM

Last edited:
    Top Bottom