• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Anyone one here built an underfolder Bulgarian Krinkov SBR?

What is the easiest route, a pistol with new trunion and stock added or a cut down underfolder rifle?

If you got one please post pics!!

Thanks

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What is the easiest route, a pistol with new trunion and stock added or a cut down underfolder rifle

A true AKSU ("Krinkov") has a different rear sight block, bolt carrier, top cover, gas block/FSB, gas tube, handguard, HG retainer and barrel than a regular AK rifle.

If you can find a Bulgarian Krink-style pistol like the one shown below, changing out the rear trunnion and cutting the appropriate holes in the receiver to accept the U/F stock assembly would be the (relatively) easy way to go, compared to starting out with a Bulgarian rifle and swapping out the entire front end for a Krink assembly. Neither one is a task the average layman would want to attempt, IMO.
    pix787841687.jpg

I've heard that the Century AK pistols (see pic below) already use the underfolder trunnion; all you'd have to do there is cut the receiver and install the stock assembly. They're Romanian rather than Bulgarian, but they're also less work, inexpensive and available. They also already have the correct AIM Carbine (i.e. "Romanian Krink") front end.
    pix1019478453.jpg

Last edited:

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    My Century AK "Drako" pistol just got recalled. Some business about the disconnector and hammer not engaging. Mine was fine, but I guess some runaway so they need to fix them all. :-(

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    102njtj.jpg

I assume you are talking about one of these. A slr107ur sbr. They cut it just past the harmonic balance r. Makes a very nice SBR.I will get one of mine done this way possibly.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I wish I could turn my SLR106 into an SBR. That would rule school! :)

I would imagine the AK pistols would be great, even if you just pushed away hard against a sling to "stock" the gun. But a stock, plus a decent .311 slow velocity expanding bullet? That screams HD gun! :D

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Any day now the Form 1 on my Krebs will come back and I can get a stock going on it. I do not plan to go underfolder on it even though it would be the norm for it, I want side folder as I have an underfolder AK already and one is well enough for me.

s_knk3.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    :wtf:

I've heard the AKSU muzzle device called a lot of things (most commonly the "soup can" or "beer can"), but never that.
    Well it is part of the BARS system. It was designed to reduce harmonics in the barrel.I am not talking about the can,but the gas block and what the can is actually threaded on to.see here for more information on the BARS system..
    AK-107 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Well it is part of the BARS system. It was designed to reduce harmonics in the barrel.I am not talking about the can,but the gas block and what the can is actually threaded on to.

Yeah, I know about the "balanced gas system" featured on the AK-107 and AK-108. But 1) the system has nothing to do with barrel harmonics (it is a counterweight system designed to dampen recoil) and 2) the AKSU does not incorporate it.

AK-107_with_grenade_launcher.jpg

The big honkin' gas tube on the AK-107 above is what houses the "BARS" dual piston system; the integrated front sight/gas block is identical to the one found on the AK-102/104/105 carbines, and is just a gas block (it is not itself part of the BARS system).

Further, the BARS system itself and the AK-107 and -108 that incorporated it were only experimental prototypes; they never saw full-scale production or issue.

Apologies to curraheeguns for :hijack:

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Cool, couple more Q's

1. Does this particular version have a specific model number I should look for when searching?

2. Why are the sights different from this then the Century shown up top by 521? Are they different designs all together? (gas system, ect.) Are they both considered Krinkovs?

Also, which country were the ones like yours manufactured?

Sorry for all the basic Q's but I am a US WWII collector by nature. Until Obamajama I would have never given AR's or AK's a second look.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    1. Does this particular version have a specific model number I should look for when searching?

The "Yugo Krink" as pictured by you and techres is the M92.

2. Why are the sights different from this then the Century shown up top by 521? Are they different designs all together? (gas system, ect.) Are they both considered Krinkovs?

Yes, the Yugo, Romanian and Bulgarian "Krinks" are completely different designs; parts are generally not interchangeable among them.

The term "Krinkov" is an entirely American construct, and was originally applied to the Russian/Bulgarian AKS-74U. More recently, it has been genericized to describe almost any shortened or sub-carbine AK variant.

Yugoslavia.

HTH!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Cool, couple more Q's

Sorry for all the basic Q's but I am a US WWII collector by nature. Until Obamajama I would have never given AR's or AK's a second look.

I will share what I know, that is until corrected by shooter251 or other Ak nut who knows more than I do. The original, real deal Krinkov is a 5.45x39 SBR for support troops and is primarily of Bulgarian make. There is a Yugoslavian underfolding variant in 7.62x39 which is what mine was originally made up from.

The Century Ak above is simply a normal Ak (likely Romanian) that was lopped off and had an aftermarket front gas block attached and named "krinkov" even though it really is just a shortened AK. And if you like the way it looks, get one!

Personally what I plan to make is a bastardization of the two originals. I like the 7.62 round (especially out of a shorter barrel) but want a side folder (like the Bulgies have). Retrofitting a side folder is hard so I will be using a more modern folder and hope it works.

Personally, I would not get caught up in the "authentic game" when it comes to AK's and Krinks. Every country did their own thing and each is a bit different in function and style. Ak prices are skyrocketing and a "authentic Krink" even in Semiauto is $2000+ now.

Good luck, and yes, Krinks rock!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The Century Ak above is simply a normal Ak (likely Romanian) that was lopped off and had an aftermarket front gas block attached and named "krinkov" even though it really is just a shortened AK.

Actually, the Century "Draco" pistols are modeled on the AIM Carbine (also known as the AIMR), which is the closest thing in the Romanian catalog to an AKS-74U. It differs from a true "Krinkov" in several ways. Most notably, it uses the standard AKM lower handguards, handguard retainer, gas tube, rear sight leaf and rear sight block. Barrel is also longer than the AKS-74U, and terminates in a unique combo gas block/FSB. Muzzle is threaded 14x1LH (standard AK thread). Versions were produced in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39. It is really more of a parallel to the AK-105 carbine, since it lacks the extremely short barrel and gas system of a true "Krinkov".

AIRCarbine.jpg

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Ok.....OK.....OK, I said I was done but I have some final questions.

1. If I go with the Bulgarian Pistol (model # ?) all I need is the stock and the rear trunion before someone can put it all together. (After form 1 approval) right?

2. As rear trunions go, you can buy them already drilled for either a underfolder or side folder, or you can buy the blank trunion and drill it yourself (have someone more skilled then me drill it that is), right?

3. When a stock kit says it includes the stock, small parts and rear block, is the rear block the same thing as the rear trunion or is it a different part?

4. Does anyone in the Central Indiana area do this? (I used to use mill creek armory in hendricks county, they still around?)

Here are some photos to describe what I mean.

Bulgarian Underfolder described as: "Under Folding Stock Set with all attaching hardware for stamped and milled receivers. ""Bulgarian made. New condition." I WOULD STILL NEED A REAR TRUNION WITH THIS, RIGHT?

1155.jpg

Bulgarian Folding Stock described as: "Original AK74/47 Bulgarian Arsenal side folding stock with all parts including trunion. New unnissued. Very rare." SO WITH THIS ONE, ALL I NEED IS SOMEONE TO RIVIT IN THE TRUNION, DRILL THE RECEIVER AND MATCH THE FINISH??

AK007BFS.jpg

Thanks again for everyones help. I am opting for the second stock if it will work and hope to have a finial product similar to one of these:

89q2s0l.jpg

556ar-sf.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    1. If I go with the Bulgarian Pistol (model # ?) all I need is the stock and the rear trunion before someone can put it all together. (After form 1 approval) right?

No specific model on the Bulgarian pistol; different builders may call them different things, but most likely they will be billed as a "Bulgarian Krink pistol" or "AKS-74U Pistol". The only other thing you should need to acquire is the folding stock assembly (to include the stock, rear trunnion, and all associated small parts).

2. As rear trunions go, you can buy them already drilled for either a underfolder or side folder, or you can buy the blank trunion and drill it yourself (have someone more skilled then me drill it that is), right?

I've never heard of a "blank" trunnion; they're all either sidefolder, underfolder or fixed stock. The receiver will have to be cut to accommodate the folding mechanism, as well - that's what takes a real 'smith.

is the rear block the same thing as the rear trunion or is it a different part?

Same. Technically, the term "trunnion" is incorrect when referring to the thing that receives the stock, but it's an accepted bit of slang.

SO WITH THIS ONE, ALL I NEED IS SOMEONE TO RIVIT IN THE TRUNION, DRILL THE RECEIVER AND MATCH THE FINISH??

That's my take on it!

Thanks again for everyones help. I am opting for the second stock if it will work and hope to have a finial product similar to one of these:

You're welcome. After I responded to your questions last night, I went and put a bid in on a Krink kit on Gunbroker. ;) I hope I don't win, cuz that would be money I really don't need to spend. If I do win, I'm totally blaming you for my financial woes. :):

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    You're welcome. After I responded to your questions last night, I went and put a bid in on a Krink kit on Gunbroker. ;) I hope I don't win, cuz that would be money I really don't need to spend. If I do win, I'm totally blaming you for my financial woes. :):

Are you going to build it yourself if you win or are you gonna have someone else do it?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

That's ok, because you are the cause of all of my financial problems. Between the SBR in the mail, the SBR to be, and this thing I sold a handfull of guns to be able to afford:

slr107fr_1001.gif

Wonder who has an Arsenal that I got to fire once? I wonder...

Top Bottom