Anyone use Longbow/Recurve for bowhunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a Bear Super Griz, and a custom long bow made out of Wisconsin. Both pull about 55, and are a blast to shoot. I deer hunt with the bear.

redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have a black widow recurve #58 and a custom longbow from a guy in Cincinnati. I love them both and it is always a tough decision deciding which one to take to the woods.

redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The longbow that I have is made by a guy from Cincinnati named Rick. His company is called Miami Valley Longbows. I am not sure if he still builds bows. I grew up in Cincy and my uncle told me about his bows. I absolutely love my longbow. It shoots great and looks beautiful.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    How do you like the carbon arrows? I have always shot cedar, but I have been thinking about buying some carbons for the black widow.

I have had the bow since '86. I have shot cedars, alum. and carbons out of this bow and the carbon arrows fly the best for me, hands down....:rockwoot:

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I have a couple recurves that I shoot for fun but I use a compound for hunting because it is more efficient at quickly and accurately killing the game.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I use a compound for hunting because it is more efficient at quickly and accurately killing the game.

compounds are faster by nature...but as far as accuracy? that depends on who is behind the bow..a well practiced trad shooter can aquire a target and put an arrow in it before the average compound shooter can get thier peep sight lined up with the pin and target. once you get proficiant with a trad bow there is no thought behind it..its all reflexes/instincts. and a well practiced trad shooter can hit any target a well practiced compound shooter can hit. I've shot several deer and turkey with a recurve and long bow and would of had the same results whether I had a recurve or compound in my hand..which would be a dead animal...provided I practiced with the compound as well.

redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    compounds are faster by nature...but as far as accuracy? that depends on who is behind the bow..a well practiced trad shooter can aquire a target and put an arrow in it before the average compound shooter can get thier peep sight lined up with the pin and target. once you get proficiant with a trad bow there is no thought behind it..its all reflexes/instincts. and a well practiced trad shooter can hit any target a well practiced compound shooter can hit. I've shot several deer and turkey with a recurve and long bow and would of had the same results whether I had a recurve or compound in my hand..which would be a dead animal...provided I practiced with the compound as well.

Well said. I wouldn't say traditional equipment is less accurate or efficient by any means. It is all in who is doing the shooting. The same with a rifle and a scope. If someone hasn't practiced with it they aren't going to be very accurate or efficient for that matter.

redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have a couple recurves that I shoot for fun but I use a compound for hunting because it is more efficient at quickly and accurately killing the game.

I have to disagree here. I shoot my recurve and longbow all the time. All summer long I go to 3d shoots and have a lot of fun. I would say that I am pretty accurate. Last deer I shot my black widow at 55# shot completely through the deer and she only went about 40yds. That is quick enough for me.

Top Bottom