• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I'm itching to give this a shot for the first time this year on a handful of trees. Can anyone recommend a good starter kit or setup?

Want2ShootMore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Marion
    It is a little pricey from what I remember, but Big R has kits to get you started. If you have a bunch of trees to tap though, I would just buy the supplies online.

Also check out MapleTrader.com for some good discussions and inspiration for your future sugar shack.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm itching to give this a shot for the first time this year on a handful of trees. Can anyone recommend a good starter kit or setup?

I used to do this when the kids were younger. We had our own little sugar camp on the back patio. 5 or 6 spiles in 2 trees gave us more syrup than we could use. And quite frankly, after the first year, I tapped at the end of the season. It was a lot of work and I was travelling a couple of nights/weeek. Mama wasn't happy. :):

I used a turkey fryer and couple of chafing dishes to do the first boil and finished it on the stove.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Thanks, all - that helps a lot.

I'm looking to get into it for the hobby of it and do something with the family. I own plenty of maple trees.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    does anyone just buy the sap? doesnt seem like it would be economically feasable to evaporate 40 gallons of sap into a gallon of syrup.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I boil mine on a wood fired stove, which makes it free but for my time cutting up the fuel.

The sap is running here, but not heavy. Sweet though. A couple of red maples I looked at are running 2.4 and the sugars are 2.8ish.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I took a minor plunge and bought 3 taps and 6 bags. That should be enough to dip the ol' toe in the water.

I looked at a lot of "beginner kits" and they all look like overkill. Anybody with a kitchen is going to have enough for a hobby setup I'd think - thermometer, pans, etc.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    HA, HA! Well, it is 2:22AM...... and so, I thought I read this thread title-

"Is anyone trapping trees yet?"

My bad!

Wouldn't be too hard tho.......they do move kinda' slow. :D

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Yea - I'm not that desperate yet. :naughty:

Although, There is this cute Blonde Knotty Pine down the road that I've had my eye on. She's one sturdy gal with an enormous trunk and as dumb as a board. I don't think I'd get past her boyfriend though. He's built like an Oak.

And besides...Splinters Hurt. :eek:

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Yea - I'm not that desperate yet. :naughty:

Although, There is this cute Blonde Knotty Pine down the road that I've had my eye on. She's one sturdy gal with an enormous trunk and as dumb as a board. I don't think I'd get past her boyfriend though. He's built like an Oak.

And besides...Splinters Hurt. :eek:

Now that right there is hilarious! :D :laugh: :D

rep incoming..........:yesway:

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Over the weekend we cooked 17 gallons of syrup. Have about 250 taps out. Has been running pretty good the last few days with the freezing nights and warm days. Sugar content isn't real high this year. Taking about 42 gallons of sap to get a gallon of syrup.

Top Bottom