• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I was on my way to eastern Ohio to shoot a three day match with a couple pards I had known for years. I looked at the driver and asked"So what is your name anyways?" We never cared. Just knew each other's alias.
    That's the thing with cowboy, the alias. Lots of times I've had people ask me if I know someone that shoots cowboy and they give me their name. I ask for an alias because most of the shooters, I don't know their real name.

As a side note, I thought it was funny in Sam Peckinpah's film "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" Bob Dylan's name in the movie was Alias.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    During pistol week, the vendors are great too. The airgun range is worth the trip. Rent air pistols and/or rifles and shoot for cheap. Lots of scenarios to choose from.

I couldn't make it to Atterbury last year; I tested + for covid the day before I was to head down there. We did go to Perry for the vendors though. They were a little sparse compared to previous years. Hopefully, that picks up.
    I know there are pistol matches at the nationals, but I honestly forget about it, there is a pistol small arms firing school put on by the AMU ......

Vendor row was full last year after smallbore week......rock river arms had a scratch and dent sale.......

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Check out a match. Maybe after it's over, they will let you try a stage with someone's guns so you can have some fun too. We do that at our range, when the need arises.
    If a spectator doesn't look flakey I'll let them burn up the rest of my ammo through my guns. I try to introduce myself during the match and explain it all.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I know there are pistol matches at the nationals, but I honestly forget about it, there is a pistol small arms firing school put on by the AMU ......

Vendor row was full last year after smallbore week......rock river arms had a scratch and dent sale.......
    Vendor row was down from normal for pistol week. The shooting line is nice at Atterbury, but no vendors down there.

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    You have the gear. Borrow a shotgun if you need to. My 1st cowboy match, 26 years ago, I could only find one Vaquero and a Marlin Cowboy lever action rifle before I started shooting cowboy. I borrowed a 2nd revolver and a shotgun. Shooters are the best group of people, especially the cowboys. Maybe that can help you find your way again.

Shooting, even in competitions, is great and it's more than just the shooting. It's the comradery. We go out to lunch after the match and talk. Some of us travel together. It’s a great hobby and a great way to relax and unwind.
    Thanks for the tips! Keep me in mind if you ever go to a shoot that in the area, I don’t mind the drive, I’d like to watch and maybe rub some elbows and learn.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Local club matches are a great way of "getting your feet wet" show up with what you have (or with nothing at all) , get there early, let the match director know, high power (rifle) guys are very open to sharing equipment.

Our client & CMP registered matches Ft.Wayne rifle and revolver (fwrrclub.org)

April 1 CMP High Power Clinic 8:00 AM

April 8 CMP Garand Match 9:00 AM

May 13 CMP Games Match 8:00 AM

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I shot USPSA for 3 years and enjoyed it, currently getting into Sporting Clays and might go to a few registered shoots this summer. The cost to actually get good at each sport is prohibitive and kept me from going further. Shooting is a hobby and particularly a social one for me. The amount of money it takes to become a top level competitor is also prohibitive as well IMHO. Heck a round of sporting clays counting ammo is $80-$90 now, a USPSA shoot is about the same.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I shot USPSA for 3 years and enjoyed it, currently getting into Sporting Clays and might go to a few registered shoots this summer. The cost to actually get good at each sport is prohibitive and kept me from going further. Shooting is a hobby and particularly a social one for me. The amount of money it takes to become a top level competitor is also prohibitive as well IMHO. Heck a round of sporting clays counting ammo is $80-$90 now, a USPSA shoot is about the same.
    A good alternative to SC is trap and/or skeet. I prefer skeet, but like both. You can shoot a couple rounds of trap/skeet and use fewer rounds than SC and it costs less $5 - $6 per round). You don't always need to try to become a top level competitor. Just shoot local matches and have fun.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have been shooting IDPA since early 2000's and been a SO since 2007. For me it is a good fit and as said earlier it is the comradery even maybe more than the shooting. I have made such super friends that I pretty much only see when I go shooting. It is nice to show up and spend part of the morning with hand shakes and hugs. Jim.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Every year I say I'm going to try some matches. I have shot two Steel Challenges, several of the CC matches at Riley, and one or two IDPA matches. But the few times I have shot a match, it is glaringly evident that I can't shoot worth a darn.

I'll admit, I don't like to suck in public and my shooting skills are considerably below what I see at the matches. I'm okay with not being first, but not so much at being last. I'm used to being a middle of the pack competitor in whatever I do.

That said, I recently read a book that says people need to be involved with other people, build relationships, make friends and be a part of something bigger than themselves. That along with not eating crap and exercising will help your last third of life go better. Me going to the range by myself weekly, though satisfying, does not check that box.

I will make it to Wildcat this year and try Rimfire Falling Steel, try Steel Challenge again and see where that takes me.

I am interested in USPSA and possibly IDPA also. Clays sports would be fun, but not much near me for that.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I use to run 2 Gun competition many years ago. Rifle, Pistol. I used a M1A National Match, and a 92FS. I only won once at a meet it northern Kentucky.

I really liked the 2 Gun it was a lot of fun.

I developed health problems and I stopped doing them.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Every year I say I'm going to try some matches. I have shot two Steel Challenges, several of the CC matches at Riley, and one or two IDPA matches. But the few times I have shot a match, it is glaringly evident that I can't shoot worth a darn.

I'll admit, I don't like to suck in public and my shooting skills are considerably below what I see at the matches. I'm okay with not being first, but not so much at being last. I'm used to being a middle of the pack competitor in whatever I do.

That said, I recently read a book that says people need to be involved with other people, build relationships, make friends and be a part of something bigger than themselves. That along with not eating crap and exercising will help your last third of life go better. Me going to the range by myself weekly, though satisfying, does not check that box.

I will make it to Wildcat this year and try Rimfire Falling Steel, try Steel Challenge again and see where that takes me.

I am interested in USPSA and possibly IDPA also. Clays sports would be fun, but not much near me for that.
    You won't get better by not shooting. The more matches you shoot, the better you will get. You always improve quicker if you are shooting with better shooters.

The biggest problem I've seen with new shooters in Steel Challenge is they try to shoot too fast. Then they miss a lot. Slow down just enough to get accurate shots and you will improve. Wildcat Valley is a great place to shoot. I especially like their ICORE matches.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    A good alternative to SC is trap and/or skeet. I prefer skeet, but like both. You can shoot a couple rounds of trap/skeet and use fewer rounds than SC and it costs less $5 - $6 per round). You don't always need to try to become a top level competitor. Just shoot local matches and have fun.

Also true but I have a bit of an addictive personality , I went from 0 shotguns to a Browning 725 (love that gun) in a month after shooting a round of clays. Been shooting almost every weekend it's above freezing so far (if you see a young guy carrying a maple Browning it's me say hello). That being said the next couple months will put a damper on things along with work.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    The amount of money it takes to become a top level competitor is also prohibitive as well

You don't always need to try to become a top level competitor. Just shoot local matches and have fun.
    Just compete against yourself and enjoy it. Are you improving? Are you having fun?

I have absolutely zero chance of being a top competitor, but I enjoy the matches. Talking to folks I know and meeting new people.

I try to do the best I can with equipment I can afford. I enjoy it everytime I get through a match and my guns ran well and I go home knowing I did the best I was capable of that day.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

Wildcat is a great place to shoot.

Rimfire Falling Steel is a nice discipline to try before going into USPSA because you have to move and plan your stages, but you only need a .22.

Edit: I sometimes shoot a gun I'm less competitive with just because it's fun to shoot. Like my S&W 422 or my Marlin Camp 9.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Also true but I have a bit of an addictive personality , I went from 0 shotguns to a Browning 725 (love that gun) in a month after shooting a round of clays. Been shooting almost every weekend it's above freezing so far (if you see a young guy carrying a maple Browning it's me say hello). That being said the next couple months will put a damper on things along with work.
    I have a 725 Sporting. They are great shotguns. Glad you enjoy shotgun shooting. I've been loading a bunch of shotgun shells the past few weeks. My buddies that I used to shoot skeet and trap every week moved, so I have not shot shotgun in about a year. I have some other buddies that want to start shooting shotgun with me, so I will be ready once the weather gets better.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wildcat is a great place to shoot.

Rimfire Falling Steel is a nice discipline to try before going into USPSA because you have to move and plan your stages, but you only need a .22.

Edit: I sometimes shoot a gun I'm less competitive with just because it's fun to shoot. Like my S&W 422 or my Marlin Camp 9.
    I used to shoot Trap there when I lived in Lafayette. Nice place.

Top Bottom