• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sell33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Delaware County
    I’ve been reading and researching on 6ARC. There is almost no content on here about it. Anyone have any first hand experience with it?

I am thinking of building an AR in it. I think it seems about perfect for an AR style varmint/deer gun without stepping up to an AR10.

I reload, so not super concerned about ammo, though finding a box or two on shelves once in awhile would be nice.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I ordered a Proof Research barrel as soon as they were released. I wanted a longer range Varmint cartridge for coyotes. No complaints. I am not a re-loader, but I think someone that did re load could really optimize the performance from this cartridge. The 108 and 103 grain Hornady all work for me. Biggest downside, it’s loud! Not running suppressed…yet. That said, I’m not shooting a high volume of rounds.

ARC is on the left.

Attachments

• ADC165E8-FE8D-4EA0-9785-97490F1F9ACB.jpeg
      ADC165E8-FE8D-4EA0-9785-97490F1F9ACB.jpeg
      817.7 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I’ve been reading and researching on 6ARC. There is almost no content on here about it. Anyone have any first hand experience with it?

I am thinking of building an AR in it. I think it seems about perfect for an AR style varmint/deer gun without stepping up to an AR10.

I reload, so not super concerned about ammo, though finding a box or two on shelves once in awhile would be nice.
    Isn't this basically a 6mm Grendel? Another cartridge based off of the 7.62x39mm case?

IIRC they are basically the same out to 500yds then the 6.5 Grendel takes over.

I would go with the one that has the most available ammunition and best price for it and if you reload components.
    I doubt you'll find much difference between 6mm ARC and 6.5 Grendel.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Long before 6mm ARC, there was the 6mm turbo, close to the same thing but he didn't have the big name behind him
    I campaigned one in high power competition for two years. I sold it after it broke the extractor the second time. The bolt face/extractor have to be hogged out to accommodate the larger cartridge.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    Care to share the parts you are going with?
    I picked this up a few weeks back.

Probably going with a Compass Lake 20” barrel. Timney trigger and the Magpul PRS Lite stock, Toolcraft carrier with JP bolt.

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have a buddy that built an AR in one and he loves it. I was seriously considering it before I built my 6.5 Grendel, and probably would have if ammo was more available and cheaper.

The larger bullet also factored into my choice since I only hunt deer with it. If I didn't have a varmint rifle already, I would have leaned harder towards the 6mm ARC as well.

jhart

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    greenwood
    Been shooting the arc in a bolt gun for about a year. I love the caliber I did just also build a gas gun for it. So far playing with heavy 105+ projectiles. It really likes extruded powders for low es/sd numbers. But higher velocity with ball powders. I have found varget, RL-15, benchmark to be good. But best accuracy was 8208 xbr. Lever evolution, powerpro 2000mr, and cfe .233 gave best speed. But es/sd numbers weren't great. Also barrell length should be given a lot of thought. An inch of barrell is huge in arc for speed.

Top Bottom