anyone know anything about Hopkins & Allen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    I have a shotgun that says "Hopkins & Allen Arms Company Norwich, Conn. U.S.A." on the side. It also has a code behind the trigger guard that says YT844. It is a 12 guage single shot shotgun with exposed hammer. I have tried to do some research on it but cant seem to find out more than it being made in the late 1800's. Anyone have any info on this company, a better guess as to what year it was made, and a possible price range for this gun?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I have a shotgun that says "Hopkins & Allen Arms Company Norwich, Conn. U.S.A." on the side. It also has a code behind the trigger guard that says YT844. It is a 12 guage single shot shotgun with exposed hammer. I have tried to do some research on it but cant seem to find out more than it being made in the late 1800's. Anyone have any info on this company, a better guess as to what year it was made, and a possible price range for this gun?

HOPKINS & ALLEN ARMS COMPANY, 1902-1914
    Previous manufacturer located in Norwich, CT. H&A started their firearms business in 1867, manufacturing percussion revolvers.
    Before 1870, they were producing rimfire cartridge guns and eventually centerfire handguns and long guns. Prior to 1896, H&A guns were marked "HOPKINS & ALLEN MANUFG. CO. NORWICH CONN." or other private trade names, including Merwin, Hulbert & Company. Hopkins & Allen guns are about equally priced with Stevens, N.R. Davis, Crescent Firearms Co., etc. There are many exceptions due to the numerous limited production guns, examples of which are the AA GRADE double shotgun and the "PARROT BEAK" Derringer. Hopkins & Allen also manufactured firearms which were not described in their catalogs. Compiled from Hopkins & Allen catalogs by Charles E. Carder.

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Thats about all I could find on them through a quick google search. Im just curious to know more. It seems that they werent among the top quality gun built in their day, but for being a 111+ year old gun it is solid as a rock. I purchased a marlin 60 from a guy yesterday and this gun for $85. The marlin is about a 95% gun so I figured this gun was just a free bonus. I've only seen a few for sale online and they ranged from $150-$10,000. I would love to be able to find out when exactly it was made.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    FWIW - CLICKY ----> Hopkins & Allen Arms Co. Fifty Years of Gunmaking 1867 – 1917 :dunno:
    :cheers:

Thats about all I could find on them through a quick google search. Im just curious to know more. It seems that they werent among the top quality gun built in their day, but for being a 111+ year old gun it is solid as a rock. I purchased a marlin 60 from a guy yesterday and this gun for $85. The marlin is about a 95% gun so I figured this gun was just a free bonus. I've only seen a few for sale online and they ranged from $150-$10,000. I would love to be able to find out when exactly it was made.

Top Bottom