• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I keep thinking that my kayak might make a good waterfowl hunting platform, single man portable, car haulable, shallow draft, decent payload. However I have never shot from it and dont think about it until round now when the geese fly over the house in the evening. Anyone ever try it? If you've never been in a kayak, it's completely different than a canoe in its handling and manuevering. Not at all similar just because they are both 12 feet long.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have but only when it was sitting on a sand bar. The scariest part was the trips in and out with decoys, gun, and all the other junk needed to hunt.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I know several people that hunt from kayaks, both sit-in and sit-on-tops. I mainly use mine for transport (i.e. from truck to spot and back) but I have jumped and shot birds from it. As long as you're careful you shouldn't have any issues.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I am new to it this year and mine is only 9' but wide and very stable. It was designed with hunting and fishing in mind. I have not shot from open deep water. When I started talking to people who do hunt from kayaks I heard some good stories. It's a good idea to try to shoot out the front versus perpendicular to the side. Stabilize with poles like those made by Yak Attack. Tuck into vegetation or shallow bottom.

I plan to do a lot more hunting from the kayaks. I have even done some test runs down stream and back with a spare kayak in tow so I can haul a deer back in it. I will need to use an electric motor to come back but it is workable. I can also haul the dog and decoys in second kayak. I can paddle back if it is empty. They are easy to camo. One thing to keep in mind, don't use camo that absorbs water and ads weight. I got a lot of good advice from duck hunters before I took my first shot. Saved me a lot of hassle.

Using two kayaks may seem silly versus maybe a 10' John boat BUT I have a bad shoulder and each of our 9' kayaks weigh only 49 pounds. So when I only need one, easy to drag around. When I need two I just drag and load two, still easy for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      416.5 KB · Views: 15
    Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Guy in the video is an idiot... look behind and under the first duck... a house, a boat and a boat dock.

Be aware of your backstop!

z0mb13_m0nk3y

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Indy
    I do kayak duck hunts with my stepdad every year. Almost exclusively jump shooting in the back country in Texas. The kayaks allow us to get into places others can't. I have a 10' pelican that I have shot many ducks out of. Most of the time it is extremely stable. I have had my moments getting a little too excited and got a little wobbly but never came close to being in the water. If planning on jump shooting try practicing shots left and right handed. I've probably taken a left handed shot at least every other time I've gone with a pretty decent hit %.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Guy in the video is an idiot... look behind and under the first duck... a house, a boat and a boat dock.

Be aware of your backstop!

Its hard to judge distance in videos and the typical duck load coming down isn't going to do much in damage to a house. But it certainly looked like he peppered the house.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I have a 12' ascend sit on, I cant quite stand on it been thinking of adding a removable pontoon so i could bow fish from it. May have to move that plan up the list. I had also thought that it might be super fun to squirrel hunt from. Paddle around shoot one paddle some more. Havent been able to locate an all stainless 22 aqs of yet though.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    It will depend on the kayak. I've had kayaks that I could stand up in and fish out of and I've had yaks that had very little secondary stability. Any recreational kayak from the last 15 years or so should be fine to shoot out of though.

Yours should be fine.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    This sounds fun but most waterfowlers will have to leave 95% of there gear at home.
    All depends on the kayak. Mine is a hybrid sit-on-top/sit-in and I usually carry 24-30 decoys, gun, & gear bag with no trouble. My buddies call it the pick-up of kayaks. :): One of my friends usually carries 6 decoys, gun & gear bag in a sit-in with no stability issues at all.

Top Bottom