Anyone else have issues getting your wife to do any shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    Exactly!!! My wife buys me firearms and fully supports my hobby. She’s never once pushed back or questioned me. It getting her to pull the trigger on a live round she has No interest.
    I have a feeling you are correct Rick. Probably a lot more of us here than I can imagine.

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    On the other hand I have 2 grown daughters that have been shooter since they were very young. Both have been able to shoot better than me for years. Even with them encouraging my wife she’s Not interested.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I think the 2 biggest issues with females and firearms are the bang and the kickback. Get her some good hearing protecting she likes and probably a 22 rifle being it has little to no kickback feeling. I haven't shot a 9mm rifle, but I'm sure there isn't much to it. A handgun would probably only scare her farther away from shooting.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    She didn't used to like shooting much at all. Didn't like the noise or the recoil until she realized she could blow things up. Shooting paper is a nonstarter but turning clays to dust with a shotgun or shooting 2x4s in half with a 22 make her giggle like a schoolgirl

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    My wife cried the first time she held a gun and went to shoot. She seemed fine until she actually held the firearm. I did not push or shame her in any way. I thought that maybe a 9mm was too much for her so I bought a Taurus TX22 (Love that plinker!!) for her to try. She didn’t mind it at all and I keep inviting her to the range. I don’t think she really cares to go, but she does it to be with me. I’m happy with that.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    If you're trying to shoot with her for fun then I'd just frame the offer that way without any pressure. Very casual. "It could be fun." If you're trying to get her to become a gun fanatic I'd say probably don't force it. That'll make the possibility that she becomes interested on her own more slim.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    My wife was intrigued by a Rossi 720 .44 SPL revolver about 25 years ago. I could never get her to handle an auto-loader, but the simplicity of 'just pull the trigger' got her to the range... once. She fired one cylinder, and that was enough for her. She never touched it again.

A year or so ago, my wife's little (she is 55) sister, who lives alone, was interested in a range trip with me. My wife informed her that I take my firearms very seriously; there will be no playing. She came over for some basics one evening. I had several (Unloaded) guns sitting on the dining room table. She walks in picks up a random gun off the table, and points it at me, my wife, the dogs, while attempting to pull the trigger and voicing, "Bang! Bang!". She got pissed at me when I yelled at her, took the gun out of her hand and put everything away. Be happy your wife has no interest. That is way better than juvenile interest.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I'm in the exact same position. My wife is pro-2a politically and doesn't mind my guns (other than sometimes suggesting there are better things to spend money on when I buy yet another one.) A few times, I convinced her to at least shoot a 22LR or a full-sized 9mm pistol (just so she knows how to defend herself is something happens when I'm not home). But she hates it, will shoot 1 or 2 rounds and then stops. She hates the noise on all guns, and hates the recoil on 9mm. I've tried to get her interested in women-led training, picking out a different firearm she'd like better, etc... but all to no avail.

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    I have never nor will I force her into my hobby but I do ask once in a while if she’d come out on the deck and shoot. It’s nice that I have my own little range in the backyard. I thought that might encourage her since she doesn’t have to leave home to do it. Still not interested so I’ll occasionally ask when I have a 22 out plinking. She has way too many positive attributes for me to get hung up about this. Like I said she is as pro 2A as anyone I know but like others suggest doesn’t enjoy the loud noise. And that’s okay. Just wish she’d learn enough to protect herself when I’m not around.

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    ****** joke.
    Just curious what your reply means? I posted the truth and my personal experience. Wasn’t meant to offend or hurt anyone. As seen in this thread I’m far from the only one with a pro2A bride that doesn’t enjoy the shooting sports.
    Would appreciate you explaining your post as I truly do not understand.
    Thanks BigRed

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    SWMBO is quite anti-gun, in spite of her shooting a .22 better than I do. She does seem to enjoy the extra $ now that I am downsizing, and my firearm/ammo investments have done better than the stock market. She sometimes has questions about how I always seem to have more to sell. If I sell it as for covering her medical bills, the questions dry up. The kids all have firearms where legally possible.

Neither of us grew up with guns anywhere. I have to periodically remind her that my duties as the husband include providing for the common defense, and if she wants me to outlive her (one of her goals, which is better than the opposite, I guess), self-defense might be necessary. She gets the willies thinking that all of us on the church safe team are armed, but knows it's necessary, as the regime media keeps informing her.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Try:

"I think most people think your sister is the hot one, but that's not true. It's your cousin Vickie."

If that fails, escalate to:

"Sinnamon will be by while I'm at work, I owe her $12k, can you give her this and tell her I'll see her same time next week?"

If that doesn't get her to shooting, she's probably a pacifist and you're safe.

Wait, what was the question?

Top Bottom