Anyone else attending college at this time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I got my masters degree years ago while working full time. After the first year, my wife got pregnant. I kept working and studying. Then we had our first born, still working, still studying. Then we had our second, raising our one year old, still working, then finally finished. You learn how to allocate time but when the studying is all over, you wonder what to do with all that extra time.

You can do it. It's just a matter of how bad do you want it.

I had quit school after one year, and my wife talked me into going back after we got married. We had both of our kids while I was in college, with both of them being born right in the middle of final exams week two years apart. I remember many evenings studying a book while holding a baby.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    A bunch of us were talking about continuing education just the other day. The consensus was that now a days an associates degree is the high school diploma of twenty or thirty years ago. In other words you HAVE to have one just to get in the door anymore.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    A bunch of us were talking about continuing education just the other day. The consensus was that now a days an associates degree is the high school diploma of twenty or thirty years ago. In other words you HAVE to have one just to get in the door anymore.

I've seen exceptions to that, but for the most part I agree. Getting a two or four year degree is pretty much mandatory nowadays for a professional career.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, exceptions to pretty much everything. :):

I'm hoping the degree will help me get to the next level in my career. With it and over 20 years in my field, I should be able to do better than I have previously.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I am starting my college career in January. I will be doing ivytech online. Trying to help further my career. Going after an applied business degree. Kind of nervous about it because I have been out of school for 22 years and don't know what to expect

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

I'd submit that the Bachelor's degree of today is the equivalent of the HS diploma of 30 years ago.

So many more people are attending and graduating 4-year institutions these days...and that equals a much higher percentage of people who complete their degrees.

Plus with as dumbed-down as high school AND undergrad is these days, I'd almost put the education level of a modern "general" Bachelor's Degree as being on par with a HS diploma of 50-60 years ago.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The worst part is, after you graduate you may have the dreams that wake you up. I always woke up thinking I was supposed to be in class or the library. :): But, I could go back to sleep knowing the diploma was on the wall. :yesway:

Graduated law school 16 1/2 years ago.....still have the "the semester is almost over and I haven't done squat" nightmare.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have been working full time and going to school part time for a few years. the degree I am pursuing is also in the IT/IS field. I currently have a job in that field with the "learn on my own" experience. I have since been certified in telephony administration and I am working on a few more. So, I have a full time job, school, certification studying, and my home life with my wife, family and friends. It seems like its taking me forever but I just remember Dory from Finding Nemo...just keep swimming, just keep swimming. All the hard work and endless nights will pay off just have to stick to it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'd submit that the Bachelor's degree of today is the equivalent of the HS diploma of 30 years ago.

So many more people are attending and graduating 4-year institutions these days...and that equals a much higher percentage of people who complete their degrees.

Plus with as dumbed-down as high school AND undergrad is these days, I'd almost put the education level of a modern "general" Bachelor's Degree as being on par with a HS diploma of 50-60 years ago.

I cannot argue with this. I had bummed around on the 20 year plan for quite awhile. When I decided to glue it altogether in a more cohesive fashion and get a usable degree out of it I was amazed at how little was being asked of the students those final few semesters. The first test we reviewed for consisted of the instructor regurgitating the test word for word with correct answer. This went on for most of my remaining 20 some hours I needed for my Bachelors. Crap like that really takes the drive out of me, I had an instructor in my early college years that would really challenge the students and I learned a lot from her. Funny thing is that whenever someone heard I had one of her classes they always told me what a (b)itch she was. I found her to be one of the best instructors I'd ever had!

I even told both of my daughters to sit up front, attend every session and at least pretend that they were interested and they'd get at least a c out of the course without even trying! Pretty sad the direction "higher" education has taken.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Working on my masters right now through Ball State. Online classes took a lot of getting used to, but I really love it. Full time student, full time employee, add in husband/parent obligations and I'm a busy dude. I wouldn't have it any other way though!

Cbabs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    Indy
    I am! I work as a full time teacher and am in Kelley School of Business working on my Master of Science in Accounting. I leave straight from work and sit for class from 6-9. It's a grind but I know there will be a big pay off someday!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I was never a good student, but I was always a good learner. I had a D in calculus the six weeks I went to the math contest in Franklin (I did wind up with a better average). Aside from being demented the last year or so, I learned my subjects better than most of the people in the class. 1430/1600 on the SAT in 1981, and I drew the schematic for a fargin keyboard encoder on the cover; wasn't even trying on the test. I finally pulled down a BS, but no way I could do another one.

Mrs Evilwrench

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Mr E already shared (Thank you Love!) but my :twocents:.... be good to yourself. You know why you are doing this. You don't owe anyone answers. It will be a challenge, but you will feel amazing when it is done! You are setting a great example for your family, especially if there are young 'uns around. My boys learned that if I was working on homework it meant "do not interrupt unless there are flames or exposed bones". I had class every Monday night and every Saturday for 14 months, and it is still hard to sleep in Saturday morning! Remember to breathe! And if you need a good massage, PM me for a great deal!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Heh, I used to say something like that on the bus. There would inevitably be screaming little girls; I'd say "I don't want to hear screaming unless someone's on fire or has a bone exposed." That would shut them up pretty well.

Hkfiend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    in the Ford Galaxy
    I'm going to USI full time and working full time as well. This is the last semester my GI Bill is paying for, so I decided to do the last 17 credit hours I needed also while working full time. It has been rough but in the end it will hopefully be worth it.

Top Bottom