• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, I am a semi-pro wrench turner. No, no cool projects.:(

Keeping the family fleet of 5 vehicles, several tractors, and various outdoor power equipment running takes all the fun right out of it for me.

Currently need to do tranny fluid changes in 4 outta 5 vehicles, rear diff fluid in 3 outta 5, timing belt water pump on 1, and coolant flush-n-fill on another.

Oh, and replace the left valve cover gasket on the John Deere 445 for what seems like the 10th freakin time.:xmad:

I don't wrench cause I enjoy it, I do it cause I'm too cheap to farm it out.:dunno:

Is the JD valve cover a stamped sheet steel piece?????

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    Yes, I am a semi-pro wrench turner. No, no cool projects.:(

Keeping the family fleet of 5 vehicles, several tractors, and various outdoor power equipment running takes all the fun right out of it for me.

Currently need to do tranny fluid changes in 4 outta 5 vehicles, rear diff fluid in 3 outta 5, timing belt water pump on 1, and coolant flush-n-fill on another.

Oh, and replace the left valve cover gasket on the John Deere 445 for what seems like the 10th freakin time.:xmad:

I don't wrench cause I enjoy it, I do it cause I'm too cheap to farm it out.:dunno:
    \

I know how you feel. I started doing it cause i was too cheap/poor to pay someone but I do enjoy it when im doing a fun project but keeping my daily and my wifes daily plus tractors and lawn equipment I hate it lol

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I had a 66 Mustang Coupe that I worked on for awhile, though never finished. I now have a 71 Triumph Spitfire...yeah a little British car. I need to replace the clutch and throw out bearing, which will be done over the course of the winter. Along with new suspension and some interior clean up. Hopefully it will be ready before spring so I can enjoy it a little bit before I move it down the road so I can get my American muscle back. Looking into Fairlanes, Galaxys maybe a mustang again and would be up for some Mopar muscle also. I throw up some pictues when I get home.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Here's a fun one from several years back...

Wife mentions that her van doesn't have heat and temp gauge is behaving erratically. I ask, for how long. She says, oh, maybe a week or three?:ugh:

Knowing the history of GMs 3400 V6, and after pulling the dipstick and seeing what looked like chocolate milk, I got on eBay and bought a motor.:rolleyes:

Oh, and a barn full of these...

I call them the family's EMP proof vehicle fleet.;)

My grandpa used to buy them and my dad, brothers, and I would restore them. We haven't finished any up in several years. Our interest seem to go downhill after grandpa died. My dad will retire eventually and probably get back into it. At least finish up the ones we haven't gone through yet.

Last edited:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Ive been keeping my eye out for a 6speed LT1 at pick a part and pull apart but out on CL and other sites people know what they have and like you said raise the price up cause they know the LS guys want that tranny lol

Have you called Hicks in indy? When I had my 86 years ago they had a ton of f-bodies and prices we reasonable... Most the the bug stuff they allready have pulled. Next one I get I may just get one with a 6 speed and sell the trans to fund the TH-400 lol!

I really thought the LT. trans was a bit different then thr LS trans but I could be wrong... Now if you have the trans you could find a cheap $2500 6 speed car (they are out there) and put your trans in it and then sell the car....

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Yeah, cause...
    10364_White.jpg

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana

I do like to mess with projects here and there... I decided a while back to send the truck out the get new valve cover gaskets put on. They were leaking and passenger side is a bear. They told me the price and I said heck for that I will do it myself... Then I thought... I am back to where I started. Hmmm

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    Ive been keeping my eye out for a 6speed LT1 at pick a part and pull apart but out on CL and other sites people know what they have and like you said raise the price up cause they know the LS guys want that tranny lol

look for wrecked camaro and tran ams. ive seen a couple LT and even LS cars for under 3 grand that run just dont drive. you could take the motor and trans swap whole or just the trans and sell the motor and scrap the body. ive been thinking about this if i build a second gen.

Top Bottom