• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Keep the mouth under wraps till you become a journeyman. IBEW 481 here.

Then feel free to say and vote whatever you deem best for you. Don’t think the hall is going to do much of anything for you. I pay my dues first if the year each year get a new travelers paper in case I need it and that other than contract negotiations is the only time I see them. Once a year.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I had a couple beers with the president of local 134. I got the distinct feeling he doesn't vote iaw the emails our business manager sends out. Might explain why he's getting the boot.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have had union jobs and non-union jobs, three different unions and one was two different locals of the same union, UAW. They all pushed the democrat party with the UAW being the worst. I never bought into it but some sure did.
    Went to school with one who hired into a UAW General Motors foundry right out of high school. He has never voted anything but democratic because that is what the union told him to do. He knows nothing about what goes on in the world except the democrat talking points.
    These people don't understand the union is not telling them to vote democrat because it will be good for that member. The union is telling them how to vote because it will be good for the union. Jim.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Keep the mouth under wraps till you become a journeyman. IBEW 481 here.

Then feel free to say and vote whatever you deem best for you. Don’t think the hall is going to do much of anything for you. I pay my dues first if the year each year get a new travelers paper in case I need it and that other than contract negotiations is the only time I see them. Once a year.
    I treated my hall pretty much the same way. WE had 2 books. Fitters and service. I worked both books as needed due to my welding certs status. Service usually stays busy year round if the tech has any clue what he is doing. I did not vote as that was a waste of tie. The lefty plumbers and fitters pretty much ran it so again....my pay scale (over scale) and benies kept me in the game. My retirement is also a plus.

Yup, keep your head down and do your job. Reap the benies in the end.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Who votes for the union leadership? How do they get in the positions they are in?

I've always heard conservative folks complain about Union leadership but never anyone talk about how to boot them...just a lot of complaining with no plan to actually solve the problem...

I'm not Union and I'm thankfully not in a career where I need to be beholden to it and worry about my money supporting their political pets so I honestly have no idea...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Police unions aren't the same as trade unions, but we do get a list of candidates the union supports. Mostly Republican, given that the union is (rightfully) a one issue entity that only recommends based on the interests of police officers. Recommendatations aren't mandates, and if you don't vote for the candidates they recommend they neither know (unless you tell them) or care. It's up to you to decide if other issues matter to you more than 'union friendliness'/worker conditions/whatever.

Romero Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Greenwood
    IBEW 481 here. Encouraged to vote Dem. The Dem party thinks of unions the same way they think of minorities, a “guaranteed vote”.

Nope. Dems just give lip service.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    :wavey:

I would venture to say the majority of our membership disagrees with the leadership pushing democrat. I think they're aware and I didn't hear much this last time around.
    How do you feel being used to fund the political campaigns of Communists?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm a AFSCME union worker. Our local has never pushed us toward voting a certain way. At the National level, yes they support the Dem's.
    The benefits we receive as a result of our bargaining unit far outweighs the benefits and conditions I worked under in the private sector. The biggest drawback I see is unions have to protect jobs of some who should be let go on occasion.
    I pay my dues, stay out of trouble and do my job while working within the rules of our contractual agreements.
    I don't like that any part of my dues goes to support a political party. But, if you shop just about any big box store most likely a small portion of that money is being spent to support a political party anyway. Sucks but not much you can do about it but get out and vote.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I have been a member of Teamsters Local 710 for 30 years. They have always endorsed democrats. I have never voted Democrat. I know many of my coworkers are the same.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Question for the union guys that have said that their unions consistently support Democrats. Has anyone thought to ask the leadership why? I mean, the Democrats of old used to be pro-blue collar workers, so it would have made sense. That is no longer the case (just look at them wanting to get rid of coal plants, fossil fuels, internal combustion engine vehicles, etc.). Wouldn't it be interesting to hear their answer to that question? And no, I wouldn't find "Because we've always done it that way" to be an acceptable answer.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Question for the union guys that have said that their unions consistently support Democrats. Has anyone thought to ask the leadership why? I mean, the Democrats of old used to be pro-blue collar workers, so it would have made sense. That is no longer the case (just look at them wanting to get rid of coal plants, fossil fuels, internal combustion engine vehicles, etc.). Wouldn't it be interesting to hear their answer to that question? And no, I wouldn't find "Because we've always done it that way" to be an acceptable answer.
    Yes it's been brought up in our local for sure. It even lead to a few people in elected positions being replaced during the next vote after it was found out they donated to a local democrat after saying they didn't.
    Our push comes from the national level like thunderchicken mentioned. We are a small local and have basically no persuasion at the national level.
    I really do wish they would come around though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes it's been brought up in our local for sure. It even lead to a few people in elected positions being replaced during the next vote after it was found out they donated to a local democrat after saying they didn't.
    Our push comes from the national level like thunderchicken mentioned. We are a small local and have basically no persuasion at the national level.
    I really do wish they would come around though.
    Do the locals have any representation at the national level? Thinking along the lines of the way lifetime NRA members can attend national meetings, participate in elections, etc..

Top Bottom