• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I'm shipping to bootcamp the middle of April. I'm very excited to be doing it. I've been swimming, running and exercising my butt off to get ready. I've been memorizing, orders, creeds, and chain of command.
    Anybody got any tips for making boot camp "easier"?
    Anyone who may have went through recently know if they'll have coffee? (regular not decaf.)
    Ohh, and a really big thank you and salute to everyone who has gone before me to defend our country around the world. :patriot:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You're joining the Navy...you've already made things pretty easy on yourself. ;)

Anyhoo, good luck and this may sound odd- have fun.

...as an old soldier, I have nothing Navy-specific to add.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    haha... we didn't drink anything but water..... that was army infantry school though, you guys will probably get cell phones and cupcakes.

Honestly though, anything they will expect you to memorize, do it now, it will make life easier. Also learn how they want cloths folded, and beds made, and learn how to do that now and do it quickly... being able to do that will get you a few extra moments of precious "free" time.

And however hard you are working out now, double it..... if you are at the top of the pack fitness wise, you will be left alone most of the time.... at least at first.

I am an army grunt though, so I don't know much about the navy.

When do they assign you your barrel day?

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    haha... we didn't drink anything but water..... that was army infantry school though, you guys will probably get cell phones and cupcakes.

Honestly though, anything they will expect you to memorize, do it now, it will make life easier. Also learn how they want cloths folded, and beds made, and learn how to do that now and do it quickly... being able to do that will get you a few extra moments of precious "free" time.

And however hard you are working out now, double it..... if you are at the top of the pack fitness wise, you will be left alone most of the time.... at least at first.

I am an army grunt though, so I don't know much about the navy.

When do they assign you your barrel day?

I don't know about cupcakes, but my recruiter did promise steak and lobster on Friday nights at A School. Apparently Navy is pretty heavy on folding EVERYTHING. And doing it a very specific way.
    Barrel day? I'm gong to pass on that.......

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    IF you are going to Orlando, do not get caught speaking to a female recruit :):. Orlando was cake walk, but leave the squirrels alone near the chow hall. You were given one mouth but two ears, you them wisely. USN 82-88

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    You cant pass on barrel day... its a required part of being on a TEAM.... everybody has to do their part to make it work.... It also happens to be one of the "perks" of the navy.... or at least that's what I hear on the street.

I am assuming the recruiter didn't discuss this benefit of the navy with you prior to signing the paperwork? You should seriously ask him about it its a big deal.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    A school is in Pensacola. Happily married. Hopefully I'll be leaving the ladies alone. I hear you on the mouth and ears. I'm already sure I got to learn to keep my smart mouth shut. Faster I learn that faster things will go smoothly I'm sure.
    IF you are going to Orlando, do not get caught speaking to a female recruit :):. Orlando was cake walk, but leave the squirrels alone near the chow hall. You were given one mouth but two ears, you them wisely. USN 82-88

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    The only boot camp location is in Great Lakes(Great Mistakes). I've been out of the Navy for sometime now but if it's the same you might want to start remembering your general orders. You'll know why I say this once you enter the chamber. Keep your nose straight and stay away from anything/trouble that gets you to the "Marching Party". That's a long night on the grinder. LOL.. Oh the memories. Good luck and God bless. What is your rating going to be?

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    You're already ahead of the game with your preparations. My brother went Navy and I went Air Force so I know there's not much difference. I showed up with almost no prep at 17 and the key is to follow directions and stay cool under pressure.

At Basic it's unlikely that you'll have coffee but things might have changed. Expect to have to go without much of the comforts of home. "A" school will be better and you'll have access to all the Base amenities with some restrictions.

Sounds like you'll be fine. Keep your mind open and your mouth shut (unless ordered otherwise of course).

Its guys like you that keep the machine running when us old timers are on the way out, thanks for signing up!

What job did you get?

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Oh and youtube how to make a floatation device from your shirt and jeans because that is one of the requirements to graduate boot camp. The swimming requirement is pretty easy, you can use any stroke you want.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    You cant pass on barrel day... its a required part of being on a TEAM.... everybody has to do their part to make it work.... It also happens to be one of the "perks" of the navy.... or at least that's what I hear on the street.

I am assuming the recruiter didn't discuss this benefit of the navy with you prior to signing the paperwork? You should seriously ask him about it its a big deal.

One more thing, NEVER listen to Army guys, especially Infantry! Joe is a very disturbed person.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    The only boot camp location is in Great Lakes(Great Mistakes). I've been out of the Navy for sometime now but if it's the same you might want to start remembering your general orders. You'll know why I say this once you enter the chamber. Keep your nose straight and stay away from anything/trouble that gets you to the "Marching Party". That's a long night on the grinder. LOL.. Oh the memories. Good luck and God bless. What is your rating going to be?

You're right Great Lakes for boot and then onto Pensacola for A school. I'm gonna be IT. Info tech.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am not a recent graduate of boot camp so I can't help you there. But I want to offer my congratulations on making a commitment and wish you the very best of luck. If you see anyone that looks like me, act busy. ;)

th_IMG_0173_zps296ac79d.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom