eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm BAAAaaack...

F3Mv5GJ.jpg

Picked up the next project this weekend. 1980 Jeep CJ-7. Pretty close to an unmolested original. It is definitely a 50/50. Looks great from 50 feet or at 50 MPH (as if it could reach that right now). Got it cheap enough, as it does need some work.

Known issues to address:
    - rear brake line has been "patched" with some rubber hose (read: rear brakes leaking and non-functional). Easy fix with a new hard line.
    - frame is rotten in a couple of places. Driver's rear at the shackle hanger is gone. Passenger under the door has an old repair that needs, uh, repaired again.
    - A few engine oil leaks (it IS a Jeep). Oil filler, PVC (missing grommet), and likely the valve cover gasket.
    - Body has some rust in all the usual places. Was repaired and repainted in 2012, but needs it again.

The plan (as of today):
    - Make is safe enough to drive.
    - Fix the brakes, the frame, oil leaks, and some of the lights (missing a few bulbs)
    - Drive it! Do some light offroading.
    - Finish up my building the suspension on my YJ frame I started years ago, and then swap this body over next winter. Light rebuild on the old 304 I have, and have it in the frame already. Sell off EVERYTHING that I am not using. Hardtop, full doors, seats, drivetrain, axles, etc... I can probably recoup the entire cost of this thing in just the spare parts I have sitting around.

My wife and daughter are actually excited to get this rust bucket. So, I am going to take advantage and get motivated myself.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'm BAAAaaack...

F3Mv5GJ.jpg

Picked up the next project this weekend. 1980 Jeep CJ-7. Pretty close to an unmolested original. It is definitely a 50/50. Looks great from 50 feet or at 50 MPH (as if it could reach that right now). Got it cheap enough, as it does need some work.

Known issues to address:
    - rear brake line has been "patched" with some rubber hose (read: rear brakes leaking and non-functional). Easy fix with a new hard line.
    - frame is rotten in a couple of places. Driver's rear at the shackle hanger is gone. Passenger under the door has an old repair that needs, uh, repaired again.
    - A few engine oil leaks (it IS a Jeep). Oil filler, PVC (missing grommet), and likely the valve cover gasket.
    - Body has some rust in all the usual places. Was repaired and repainted in 2012, but needs it again.

The plan (as of today):
    - Make is safe enough to drive.
    - Fix the brakes, the frame, oil leaks, and some of the lights (missing a few bulbs)
    - Drive it! Do some light offroading.
    - Finish up my building the suspension on my YJ frame I started years ago, and then swap this body over next winter. Light rebuild on the old 304 I have, and have it in the frame already. Sell off EVERYTHING that I am not using. Hardtop, full doors, seats, drivetrain, axles, etc... I can probably recoup the entire cost of this thing in just the spare parts I have sitting around.

My wife and daughter are actually excited to get this rust bucket. So, I am going to take advantage and get motivated myself.

Nice! Looking forward to following your build!

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    latest upgrade to the JKU. An Insane Audio head unit that is packed with functionality. It required no mods to the dash and was set up in less than 20 minutes.

jk2001.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Saw my first Gladiator in the wild the other day. A Westgate salesman was sporting a new Gladiator Rubicon, gawd it was pretty. That turbo diesel can’t get here soon enough!!!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Saw my first Gladiator in the wild the other day. A Westgate salesman was sporting a new Gladiator Rubicon, gawd it was pretty. That turbo diesel can’t get here soon enough!!!

I saw a white one on a lot in Brownsburg a couple weeks back. Had to stop and look. Sticker price of $66K!!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've had some steering shimmy on the JL since about 16k miles. It is on its 3rd stabilizer replacement. They start out good then wear out after about 1k. The dealership also put a new drag link with a new pitman joint on it and that did nothing. The latest stabilizer was doing fairly well and then sure enough, crapped out at 1k. I've got a new Rancho track bar that I have yet to install, and today I threw a Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer on it. A bunch of folks who have had this issue have cured it with either of these, so I figure both should get it done. If not, I'll be getting some adjustable lower control arms and will change the castor, or I might get some Rancho lower control arm relocation brackets. Anyway, I'm getting ready to test drive it with the Fox 2.0 It is a minor annoyance, but I want it gone.
    SrDZnps.jpg

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I've had some steering shimmy on the JL since about 16k miles. It is on its 3rd stabilizer replacement. They start out good then wear out after about 1k. The dealership also put a new drag link with a new pitman joint on it and that did nothing. The latest stabilizer was doing fairly well and then sure enough, crapped out at 1k. I've got a new Rancho track bar that I have yet to install, and today I threw a Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer on it. A bunch of folks who have had this issue have cured it with either of these, so I figure both should get it done. If not, I'll be getting some adjustable lower control arms and will change the castor, or I might get some Rancho lower control arm relocation brackets. Anyway, I'm getting ready to test drive it with the Fox 2.0 It is a minor annoyance, but I want it gone.
    SrDZnps.jpg

Has the dealership checked the ball joints?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Has the dealership checked the ball joints?

Yep. They are all good. I test drove it tonight and the issue is solved! This dampener feels MUCH better than the factory unit. I'm still going to put the new track bar on there soon, but this really did the trick. Mopar needs to include one of these with the lift. Heck, it even matches the shocks.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Sold my beloved TJlast week and bought a 2014 JKU. The JKU is going in Tuesday for a 2.5" lift and new wheels and tires. Will post a pick with details when I get it finished.
    a9tapou.jpg

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    QmfDJIC.jpg

yXHKO3I.jpg

Here it is.

2014 JKU Sport S
    -2.5" JKS J-Spec lift with Fox shocks and added JKS Lower Control Arms, and rear sway bar links.
    -Ultra Hunter 18x9 wheels
    -Nitto Ridge Grappler 325/60/18 (~33.5x13.5)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom