• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I wanted to get a .380 so I picked up a sig P238. To find out which ammo I (or it) may 'like' and 'dislike', I bought at least a box of each of the following and went to the range:

Fiocchi – Pistol Shooting Dynamics - 95 GR FMJ

• 1 failure to eject – otherwise good performance
    RWS – Match Grade - Sport Line - 95 GR FMJ

• No issues feeding or ejecting. Good performance.
    Winchester - 95 GR FMJ

• 1 failure to feed – otherwise good performance.
    • I know it doesn't make any sense, but this ammo 'felt' different. I know it shouldn't be hotter than the others, but it felt that way. It worked fine, but I'm not planning on purchasing any more of this ammo for the range. Even though the gun had no issues, I liked some of the others better.
    Blazer - 95 GR FMJ - steel case

Federal - 95 GR FMJ

American Eagle - 95 GR FMJ

TulAmmo - 91 GR FMJ - steel case

• This ammo would not even load into the chamber and close the slide. Strangest thing I've ever seen. Tried 3 different bullets, and none of them would load. I sure don't think I was doing anything really stupid, but who knows, I'll admit it wouldn't be the first time.
    • Anybody else ever had an issue like this?
    • I also seem to have some issues with this stuff feeding up through the clip in my P229 (9mm TulAmmo of course).
    • I think I'll just steer clear of this ammo for my sigs.

I just purchased some Sellier & Bellot, Herter's, and what I think is Geco made by RUAG Ammotec?? Anyway, haven't been to the range with these yet, but we'll see how they stack up to the others.

The ammo I liked the most so far was the Fiocchi and RWS FMJ. I will definitely use these in the future, when I can find them.

If anybody has other ammo they've tried in a P238 and really liked, or really hated, please share. Thanks.

Ian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Mine won't chamber Tula either, or the stuff they sell at Kodiak. Blazer steel cased works just fine. Not sure why. Federal's American eagle an Hornady z max also run flawlessly.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I put 450 rounds of mixed Privi Partisan fmj and some other fmj brand (I got the ammo in an INGO deal and they were in reloading boxes but new ammo) through my P238 late last week and another 50 rounds of Remington FMJ yesterday afternoon. They were all brass cased and I didn't have any troubles.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Glad I found this thread. My Sig does the exact same thing with the tula. I bought 2 boxes and it would run any of it, same problem as you had. I bought another box though from a difference lot number the other day and it will chamber it but doesn't seem like it is going to run efficiently though either. However I haven't gone out and shot it, just racked the slide running some rounds through the gun… It runs wolf steel, just not tula.

So if anyone has a .380 that isn't a sig and wants some 380 I've got 100 rounds ill be more than happy to sell you!

Top Bottom