• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Almost every hiking shoe/boot, except Keen, crowded my toes. Over the years, I'd suffer through it...loosing toenails periodically. I've tried Salomon, Danner, Vasque, Merrell, Keen, Timberland, Oboz, Zamberlan, etc.

I recently (past year or so) tried ALTRA Lone Peak 5 trail running shoes. AMAZING! Best thing I ever did for my feet while hiking. Toe box is extra-wide and they feel like you're walking on clouds. They also dry quickly and have held up adequately for a trail running shoe. They also have velcro built-in at the back of the shoe to accept gaiters.

Give them a try! Lone Peak 6s might be available now, btw.

P.S.: Regardless of the shoe/boot you use, fitting is critical. This often means your hiking shoe will be bigger than your every-day shoe. Your feet get bigger as you hike. You also typically wear a newer/bulkier sock while hiking. This all translates into to making sure you buy the proper size.

P.S.S: How you lace the shoe can also have a big impact, as proper lace tension will keep your foot at the back of the shoe where it belongs on descents.
    I thought I had weird feet, you must be some kind of freak! (Apply purple here please!)
    Maybe I’ll get to see your freakishly wide feet at Gabe White?
    Ok, I just went and made it weird, didn’t I?

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I wore Asolo 520 GTX for several years. Those boots have a history of sole separation. I found Keen Targhee 3s didn't provide enough sole rigidity for me. Just switched to Keen Durand 2. I weigh about 150 lbs and carry approximately 35 lbs in winter and under 30 lbs spring and fall.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I wore Asolo 520 GTX for several years. Those boots have a history of sole separation. I found Keen Targhee 3s didn't provide enough sole rigidity for me. Just switched to Keen Durand 2. I weigh about 150 lbs and carry approximately 35 lbs in winter and under 30 lbs spring and fall.
    I just very seriously considered those as I like the all leather, or at least more leather, construction but thought they’d be hot for summer wear, which is my immediate need. Good looking boot though.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    REI salesman got me into an oboz just for a casual everyday not work not hike shoe, never tried their boots but this thing took FOREVER to break in. I like a stiff boot but these were crazy. I might never need another pair of casual shoes. Not sure if their boots are the same.
    They definitely took a while to break in, but she says they're the most comfortable boot she's ever worn.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Oboz Bridger boots for me with Darn Tough socks.

My pack comes in at 20# before food and water for a multi night trip.

I question learning with a 50# pack. You may learn bad habits trying to accommodate too much weight or injure yourself. Start with moderate weight and let your body learn how to hike and carry weight. Then gradually add weight as you learn and adapt.

Ute_Paracord.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Oboz Bridger boots for me with Darn Tough socks.

My pack comes in at 20# before food and water for a multi night trip.

I question learning with a 50# pack. You may learn bad habits trying to accommodate too much weight or injure yourself. Start with moderate weight and let your body learn how to hike and carry weight. Then gradually add weight as you learn and adapt.

View attachment 203261

Side note. It will not stop a racoon from pulling your food bag up into the tree and eating everything. I have a video somewhere of a racoon happily eating my entire food bag. Tossing empty mountain house and snack wrappers on the ground,but even it would not eat the Backpacker pantry Chili as he tossed it to the ground after one bite(really it is the most terrible thing ever).
    That is the hang I use for my food bag or bags(ok yes I may sometimes have an entire bag of snacks,but a week is a really long time!). It works well. Do not use your water bottles for your toss though,they tend to explode when landing if you miss your branch(ask me how I know). I know hikers even an ultra light one that found and carried a favorite rock for tossing. Me I just find a rock,worst case a stick.
    I do not hang my pack,just food and hygiene bags. Ever see mice destroy a tent because the person did not hang food bags because it was raining? I have. Always get your food out of your bag.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Side note. It will not stop a racoon from pulling your food bag up into the tree and eating everything.
    Good post on food and coons and other critters.

My food and scented items go in an Ursack Minor (yellow bag) although I can do a PCT hang if necessary. Never in my backpack except for snacks in the right hip pocket that I always empty and leave unzipped overnight.

My tent is invisible like Wonder Woman’s jet so they can’t chew through it.

0C106866-E401-4F1F-8F18-30FF56500EB5.jpeg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

Side note. It will not stop a racoon from pulling your food bag up into the tree and eating everything. I have a video somewhere of a racoon happily eating my entire food bag. Tossing empty mountain house and snack wrappers on the ground,but even it would not eat the Backpacker pantry Chili as he tossed it to the ground after one bite(really it is the most terrible thing ever).
    That is the hang I use for my food bag or bags(ok yes I may sometimes have an entire bag of snacks,but a week is a really long time!). It works well. Do not use your water bottles for your toss though,they tend to explode when landing if you miss your branch(ask me how I know). I know hikers even an ultra light one that found and carried a favorite rock for tossing. Me I just find a rock,worst case a stick.
    I do not hang my pack,just food and hygiene bags. Ever see mice destroy a tent because the person did not hang food bags because it was raining? I have. Always get your food out of your bag.
    Haha not laughing at the whole thing, just the backpacker pantry chili part.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Haha not laughing at the whole thing, just the backpacker pantry chili part.
    It is the only food I personally could not finish even one serving of on the trail(took it a good 200 yards from camp and dumped most of it). I tried to give my last pouch away and no one wanted it. Food on the trail being given away and no one wanted it. That should tell you something. The racoon agreed. It is really disgusting.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Good post on food and coons and other critters.

My food and scented items go in an Ursack Minor (yellow bag) although I can do a PCT hang if necessary. Never in my backpack except for snacks in the right hip pocket that I always empty and leave unzipped overnight.

My tent is invisible like Wonder Woman’s jet so they can’t chew through it.

View attachment 203288
    I have also seen plenty of chewed up packs(by mice). I like you open all my zippers and never leave food in my pack. I never had a pack or tent chewed on probably because of that.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Here's a couple of things that have helped me along my hiking.

#1. Hiking and backpacking makes traveling the world much more affordable. Trips to Alaska become a lot more affordable when your hotel room is in your backpack and it's already paid off.

#2. Footwear is as personal as it gets. I have big wide feet that heat up quickly and sweat, so I doubt I ever buy another of boots that have a gore-tex liner. I love my danner fullbore 4.5 13W boots. 100% best boots I've ever had for me. All my socks are Darn Tough period.

#3. Packs and how they fit are also pretty personal. Do this enough and they'll accumulate over time. 50# is great for a workout, but anymore I'm half that weight. When I do rucking challenges like Mammoth my goal is to be at 40# or less and 23# of that is guns, ammo, rangefinder etc. Personally, my current favorite pack is a Mystery Ranch Terraframe 50L. It's a 5# pack, but when you look at what it can do it's pretty unbelievable.

You're on your way to a great hobby that keeps you grounded and healthy. Keep at it in whatever form works for you.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Here's a couple of things that have helped me along my hiking.

#1. Hiking and backpacking makes traveling the world much more affordable. Trips to Alaska become a lot more affordable when your hotel room is in your backpack and it's already paid off.

#2. Footwear is as personal as it gets. I have big wide feet that heat up quickly and sweat, so I doubt I ever buy another of boots that have a gore-tex liner. I love my danner fullbore 4.5 13W boots. 100% best boots I've ever had for me. All my socks are Darn Tough period.

#3. Packs and how they fit are also pretty personal. Do this enough and they'll accumulate over time. 50# is great for a workout, but anymore I'm half that weight. When I do rucking challenges like Mammoth my goal is to be at 40# or less and 23# of that is guns, ammo, rangefinder etc. Personally, my current favorite pack is a Mystery Ranch Terraframe 50L. It's a 5# pack, but when you look at what it can do it's pretty unbelievable.

You're on your way to a great hobby that keeps you grounded and healthy. Keep at it in whatever form works for you.
    Iceland and Alaska are both on my list. One of my favorite places to hike was Yellowstone/Teton. I spent a full 3 weeks hiking the back country there in 2016,and from what I have seen of hiking in Iceland it looks even more amazing. Alaska has it all to,from a day or two to hiking hundreds of miles.
    Then of course cabin hopping in Lapland :) I mean who would not want to do that?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well merrel vents are gone trying out this teva “combat boot” it is pretty comfortable thus far compared to the other we will see tomorrow when I go on my journey with my pack. I wanted to wear them today to see if there were any obvious flaws so far so good.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So I tried to use my old hiking shoes just because money felt silly spending $175 on those teva boots…… holy crap my feet hurt so bad after using those cheap boots I felt every rock on the sole of my feet

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So I tried to use my old hiking shoes just because money felt silly spending $175 on those teva boots…… holy crap my feet hurt so bad after using those cheap boots I felt every rock on the sole of my feet
    Inserts may help. When I was in Pennsylvania(which is almost nothing but rock),lots of hikers used carbon fiber inserts to protect their feet. My Merrel's did just fine as far as not feeling rocks to much,though I did destroy the tread on a pair to the point I had to replace them.

So you could try inserts if everything else about your boots worked.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I have had several different brands of boots(irish setter, solomon, keen). Full leather, mid , insulated not insulated. I have tried several different brands of wool socks(smart wool, fox river, red head(cabela's), misc work socks). Whatever boot you end up with make sure it is about 1/2 size larger & get some good wool socks.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    I've been wearing Under Armor RTS Valsetz and they are the most comfortable boot i've worn since they fit more like athletic shoes. great for general hiking and light mountaineering, not too great in the mud as they are 100% water proof due to how they ventilate. I picked them up 6 years ago for about $70 however now they are a bit higher in price. Will probably go with salomons in the future

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I want to resurrect this thread in case someone is searching for Keens, or boots in general.

Very very disappointed in Keen, that they would even consider releasing the thing they call the Targee 3.

I got 4 months out of them.

I purposely wore my 3 1/2 year old Targee 2’s into REI when I returned them for a refund, and they looked very similar, and they’ve been through the wringer. Worn nearly every single day that it was above 40 degrees for work, and the Targee 3’s couldn’t even make it through summer. Soft footbed to start with and sides ripping out bad.

At least they make themselves (and the posers) feel good by printing how environmentally conscience they are all over the footbed. Every time I put them on I grumbled about how mislead it is to think we have the resources to make something twice, instead of right the first time.

Rant over.

Tried on some Lowa but the footbed felt odd. Took a chance and tried on Zamberlan and couldn’t leave the store without them, they felt so good. Just like the guns, we won’t tell the wife how much the boots were.

Top Bottom