• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Merrels and Columbias for me. I prefer a nylon liner sock and interestingly the sock least likely to blister my foot? Bass Pro brand "Redhead" heavy wool socks. They are beasts. I have done the KT, Obannon AT, Techumseh and numerous smaller trails with no worries.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I really appreciate all the feedback the “cheap” merrels will arrive today along with non cotton socks. aside from all the footwear advice this thread has shown me how naive I was to the world of hiking the miles you guys are logging are impressive, but instead of discouraging I will try to catch up ;)

edit to add a side question:

how heavy are the packs you guys are carrying on the multi day or full day hikes? Just curious because at least I can work towards a reasonable goal then.
    My day pack is an Osprey Talon 22.My loadout depends greatly on the time of year. In the summer I am less than 10lbs with food(loads of snacks,maybe an apple),rain coat,water filter,2 liters of water(smart water bottles),headlamp,compass,spare socks(in a pinch they work for gloves),grocerybag/gallon ziplock(to pick up other hikers trash),small first aid kit(few band aids,curad silver gel,sol biv,and a bandana),battery bank(headlamp and phone charging)and electronic lighter.

In the winter that day pack jumps up to 20lbs or so. Real sleeping bag,thermal top and bottom(in dry sacks),down coat(in its own dry sack),haul lite boiler 1.1 liter pot,snow peak stove,fuel(stove and fuel fit in my pot...did you know water freezes in the winter lol?),gloves,heavier spare socks(same dry sack as thermals).+ all summer items.

My idea of a day hiking pack is everything I need and everything I need to stay alive if I am lost(have been a few times)or injured to survive a few days and nights. In the winter I tend to wear plenty of layers and with that 22l pack I can take them off or have something else I can put on if needed.
    I have never personally used the sol bivy,but did let someone else use it after her down bag got wet(I use a synthetic bag because I have seen way to many wet down bags that were useless,heavier but I am warm even if soaked),also you will be wet but warm and need dry cloths if you use anything like that bivy.

My full pack is the Osprey Volt 60 liter. I can get it down to around 32lbs in July-August,but for most of the year it stays right at 37lbs(with 2l of water and food). I tend to carry to much food but other than that have gotten my weight down to the minimum I possibly can. I could do a full breakdown of that pack if wanted,and it is what I use when hiking for overnights or months.

I am not a huge guy,but 37lbs is not to much for me to move up and down any terrain. My normal weight is 150lbs(was 138 when I finished the AT or lower than I was my senior year of high school and wearing a 28 in waist for the first time ever). Through hiking is not for everyone for sure. You find out how far you can push yourself mentally and at some point the physical limits of your body cease to matter much(as long as you can put one foot in front of the other). It is very much a test of your mind.

Learn to use trekking poles. They saved my ass more times than I can count. Do not get them with shocks or anything fancy. I had a pair with shocks at one point and loved them going down hill,but holy crap did they make going up hill hell(losing energy every step up to those shocks). I use Leki cork light poles currently and love them,but have tried many brands and types...and yes before I through hiked I made fun of hikers with poles. I thought they where useless and not needed. I was wrong. They are very valuable when hiking.

There is no wrong or right miles. Hiking is all about you and what you want to get out of it. For some it is being in nature,some for fitness,and other crazy people it is about how far they can push themselves mentally and physically. Oh,and you can start a day out in the crazy "I am doing 25 miles today",and end up just enjoying being in nature and doing 10,and that is ok to. Do your own thing...or as most hikers say "Hike your own hike".

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Socks - Fox River military with a liner.

I had a back surgery in 2008 and my therapy / rehab afterwards was walking. I got addicted to it and have walked between 1000 and 1300 per year since, not including hiking. I get close to 150 per year hiking.

I have an aunt who just turned 85 this year. She lives in eastern TN and has hiked all over the world. She lives close enough to the Smokeys that she hikes there at least once per week and logs close to 600 a year just in the Smokeys and eastern TN. That is my goal,...stay active enough I can still be doing this in 30 more years.

Dirty Steve

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    how heavy are the packs you guys are carrying on the multi day or full day hikes? Just curious because at least I can work towards a reasonable goal then.
    My shoulder season pack for a 4-5 day trip with food is right at 32lbs before I add water. Weight goes way up in the winter and down a little bit in the summer.

My "day pack" is usually a fanny pack and I've never weighed it. I'm guessing it's under 8 lbs with a water bottle, a sawyer filter, some snacks, first aid kit and a small tarp.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Socks - Fox River military with a liner.

I had a back surgery in 2008 and my therapy / rehab afterwards was walking. I got addicted to it and have walked between 1000 and 1300 per year since, not including hiking. I get close to 150 per year hiking.

I have an aunt who just turned 85 this year. She lives in eastern TN and has hiked all over the world. She lives close enough to the Smokeys that she hikes there at least once per week and logs close to 600 a year just in the Smokeys and eastern TN. That is my goal,...stay active enough I can still be doing this in 30 more years.

Dirty Steve
    I also had back surgery last year and that is why I am trying to strengthen my back with rucking/hiking.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Thank you everyone for all the helpful responses. I am doing my best to let my needs dictate my gear and holding back from going out and buying all the gizmos and gadgets. That’s why I am doing 1 hour every morning right now with 50# close to home where I can learn what gear is working and what else I need.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you everyone for all the helpful responses. I am doing my best to let my needs dictate my gear and holding back from going out and buying all the gizmos and gadgets. That’s why I am doing 1 hour every morning right now with 50# close to home where I can learn what gear is working and what else I need.
    I would start with a lower weight. 50lb is a heavy load. It also makes a huge difference how you carry it too. My hips have chaffed and bruised at some points during my hiking,but I would still rather that be where most of my weight is vs on my shoulders(which means your back is carrying your load).

At one point I rubbed one of my hips raw(bloody) on the AT. It was a silly thing as well. I had let my shoulder straps get uneven and one side took more of the load(for a couple days). Stupid error that left me hiking sore for more than a week(but I made damn sure my load was even from then on). It was the only time on my entire hike I used moleskin anywhere. It half assed worked to lessen the pain.

Point being. How you carry your load is more important(I think)than the load itself.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I would start with a lower weight. 50lb is a heavy load. It also makes a huge difference how you carry it too. My hips have chaffed and bruised at some points during my hiking,but I would still rather that be where most of my weight is vs on my shoulders(which means your back is carrying your load).

At one point I rubbed one of my hips raw(bloody) on the AT. It was a silly thing as well. I had let my shoulder straps get uneven and one side took more of the load(for a couple days). Stupid error that left me hiking sore for more than a week(but I made damn sure my load was even from then on). It was the only time on my entire hike I used moleskin anywhere. It half assed worked to lessen the pain.

Point being. How you carry your load is more important(I think)than the load itself.
    Thank you! I have slowly progressed to the 50 I started with 20 a few weeks ago but I was only walking in circles in the backyard. (Got boring) I have 25# on a plate carrier and 25# in a backpack. I only have around an hour a day I can get away to do this so I figure I will keep adding weight and picking up the pace as I can.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    My first investment has arrived

Attachments

• C0CFA7BD-6ACA-490A-A8E1-7A77777ED5F4.jpeg
      C0CFA7BD-6ACA-490A-A8E1-7A77777ED5F4.jpeg
      790.4 KB · Views: 7

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    My first investment has arrived
    You can not go wrong with good socks. If you feel hot spots my advise is to get sock liners asap. They really do stop hotspots and work.
    These appear to be the only left is stock(I have these and others they sell).

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Thank you! I have slowly progressed to the 50 I started with 20 a few weeks ago but I was only walking in circles in the backyard. (Got boring) I have 25# on a plate carrier and 25# in a backpack. I only have around an hour a day I can get away to do this so I figure I will keep adding weight and picking up the pace as I can.
    I agree 50 pounds a lot, and your plate carrier will carry it much differently than your pack should. Not that it’s bad exercise, just don’t head out for a week in the woods without having a well fitting pack, which means maybe having 70% of the weight on that hip belt, but also being able to adjust that weight as things change.
    I’m no expert, others may quote a different percentage.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I agree 50 pounds a lot, and your plate carrier will carry it much differently than your pack should. Not that it’s bad exercise, just don’t head out for a week in the woods without having a well fitting pack, which means maybe having 70% of the weight on that hip belt, but also being able to adjust that weight as things change.
    I’m no expert, others may quote a different percentage.
    My logic: if I can carry 50# the wrong way (mostly on shoulders although half of the weight is in a proper pack) then carrying 30 the right way should be a breeze.

I am doing this almost exclusively for the health and physical benefits. (Cardio and strengthening my core / back after multiple surgeries and being able to carry heavy things long distances is useful) Doing something I like doing is a happy coincidence.

I really appreciate all the feedback and constructive criticism I am a novice in all current activities weight training rucking hiking cardio backpacking l.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    My logic: if I can carry 50# the wrong way (mostly on shoulders although half of the weight is in a proper pack) then carrying 30 the right way should be a breeze.

I am doing this almost exclusively for the health and physical benefits. (Cardio and strengthening my core / back after multiple surgeries and being able to carry heavy things long distances is useful) Doing something I like doing is a happy coincidence.

I really appreciate all the feedback and constructive criticism I am a novice in all current activities weight training rucking hiking cardio backpacking l.
    Sounds like you have a great plan! And don’t sell yourself short on being a novice, sounds like you are figuring out what works for you.
    Good work. I need to do the same.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    The #1 thing is make sure your footwear fits your foot. I need a wide shoe/boot, so selection is limited. I've found the Keen brand fits the best of the ones I've tried.

I walk the dog 3 times a day, 365 days a year, so beyond comfort, I need waterproof. Also ruck, and occasionally some trail walking.

I've settled on Keen Targhee II waterproof as my shoe. I wear them most of the time. Work, play, walking the dog, rucking, hikes. I'm averaging 4 miles a day, mostly concrete, dry, wet, ice, snow. Waterproofing holds up well.

A pair last about 9 months, the tread wears down and I replace them. Only pair that gave me a problem was one I kept for too long, the sole separated and started taking on water. Those are my garage shoes for when I'm working out there now.

I'm considering going with a mid, or full length boot for more ankle support, but will probably stay with the brand.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI

Socks are good, look into your boots too. (Obvious right). Just saying cause the only time I went more than 50lbs in my pack, my vasque sundowners at the end of 28 days in the Yukon looked like the sides melted. Took them back to the store, and got credit for a tent... Looking back, they were too light weight of a boot. Probably my fault. The only reason I went with so much weight though, was to pick up for some in group unable to "pull there weight". It all depends on your goals or just fitness stuff though.. good luck, enjoy and I'm feeling the itch to get back out there too. Just got back today from 2 nights at potato creek today, mostly biked around there though.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Just finished up my first go with the merrels and my new socks so unless I hear otherwise from you guys these shoes will be traded out. My pinky toe feels crammed with minimal (hardly any) downhill. I can only imagine adding elevation will only compound this issue. Or should I hang onto them to see if I can break them in. I cannot go a size larger they fit well everywhere else I am seeing the “toe box” you all spoke of is a thing.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Just finished up my first go with the merrels and my new socks so unless I hear otherwise from you guys these shoes will be traded out. My pinky toe feels crammed with minimal (hardly any) downhill. I can only imagine adding elevation will only compound this issue. Or should I hang onto them to see if I can break them in. I cannot go a size larger they fit well everywhere else I am seeing the “toe box” you all spoke of is a thing.
    Go try on some Keens or Solomons, maybe Timberland.
    Danner and Asolo are probably out, I'd love to love them but can't.
    ETA I have a very wide front of foot but very narrow heel so a bigger size pulls up every step and then blisters. Once you find the right fit you'll just know it.

Less expensive in the long run to pay more at Rusted Moon or REI unless you're doing the Zappo's type thing, IMO. And you can make a friend.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Go try on some Keens or Solomons, maybe Timberland.
    Danner and Asolo are probably out, I'd love to love them but can't.
    ETA I have a very wide front of foot but very narrow heel so a bigger size pulls up every step and then blisters. Once you find the right fit you'll just know it.
    Wide toe box and narrow heel may be a good fit for Oboz. That's what my wife uses with those same requirements.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Almost every hiking shoe/boot, except Keen, crowded my toes. Over the years, I'd suffer through it...loosing toenails periodically. I've tried Salomon, Danner, Vasque, Merrell, Keen, Timberland, Oboz, Zamberlan, etc.

I recently (past year or so) tried ALTRA Lone Peak 5 trail running shoes. AMAZING! Best thing I ever did for my feet while hiking. Toe box is extra-wide and they feel like you're walking on clouds. They also dry quickly and have held up adequately for a trail running shoe. They also have velcro built-in at the back of the shoe to accept gaiters.

Give them a try! Lone Peak 6s might be available now, btw.

P.S.: Regardless of the shoe/boot you use, fitting is critical. This often means your hiking shoe will be bigger than your every-day shoe. Your feet get bigger as you hike. You also typically wear a newer/bulkier sock while hiking. This all translates into to making sure you buy the proper size.

P.S.S: How you lace the shoe can also have a big impact, as proper lace tension will keep your foot at the back of the shoe where it belongs on descents.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Wide toe box and narrow heel may be a good fit for Oboz. That's what my wife uses with those same requirements.
    REI salesman got me into an oboz just for a casual everyday not work not hike shoe, never tried their boots but this thing took FOREVER to break in. I like a stiff boot but these were crazy. I might never need another pair of casual shoes. Not sure if their boots are the same.

Top Bottom