• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Any good 2.5" or smaller self defense knives?

I'm looking for a 2.5" or smaller blade on a SD knife that I can carry in Chicago. My girlfriend lives there and I don't feel quite as safe leaving my Benchmade Stryker at home (wish I could carry the P30L!).

What do you guys recommend?

Please no +/- to using a 2.5" blade in a SD situation. It's the legal limit and it will have to do; it's better than nothing! ;)

Thanks!

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Is there really a 2" blade restriction in Shitcago?:n00b:

If so, I have apparently been breaking the law at least two t three times a month.:rolleyes:

Also, there is an Emerson waved knife that has a blade less than 2", the model number escapes me though.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Craig- this is just something I was told by a friend who looked into it for himself a few years ago. I did see a guy with a knife tucked into his pocket at Goose Island- had to be bigger than 2"...

The boker is nice but it's a folder...

I like tucking my stryker into my appendix- the clip is covered by a belt and it's pretty innocuous looking when/if you have to reach for it.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    State Knife Laws, City & County Ordinances - KnifeLawsOnline.com

Capsule summary of Chicago, Illinois knife-related ordinances:
    Chicago – Unlawful to possess switchblades. See, CHICAGO, ILL., MUNICIPAL CODE § 8-24-020 (2005). Concealed carry of dirks, daggers, stilettos, bowie knives, “commando knives”, any knife with blade greater than two and a half inches, ordinary razors, and “other dangerous weapon” prohibited.See, id. Unlawful for person under 18 years of age to carry or possess knife with blade two inches in length or longer.See, id. Carry on person or in vehicle passenger compartment of “utility knife” (e.g., box cutter) by person under 18 years of age prohibited. Certain exceptions apply.See, id. at § 8-24-021. (Excerpted from Knife Laws of the Fifty States: A Guide for the Law-Abiding Traveler, page 48).

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Aaahhh... Fixed. I must've missed that.

Ranger Knives. (Google.)
    Justin Gingrich. (Very, very good guy.)
    He makes a knife called a Little Bird. They're typically 2.5" but I bet if you call him directly, he would be happy to make it in 1-7/8".

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    4sarge- I was JUST about to post that. So it's 2.5" then. How about 2.5" knives then? Thanks for your help guys!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Craig- this is just something I was told by a friend who looked into it for himself a few years ago. I did see a guy with a knife tucked into his pocket at Goose Island- had to be bigger than 2"...

The boker is nice but it's a folder...

I like tucking my stryker into my appendix- the clip is covered by a belt and it's pretty innocuous looking when/if you have to reach for it.

Ah, your looking for a fixed blade.

I was wrong, Emerson doesn't have anything smaller than a 2.7" blade on a "wave" knife.

You may have to have one built to your specs, or, make it yourself. There are some pretty neat knife builder kits on the market, wouldn't take much effort in reprofiling a blade to accomodate your need.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Emerson Knives

LA-GRIFFE.JPG

LaGriffeSheathSm.jpg

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    ooh i like the emerson!

can't relocate her, she works for CPS and has to live in the city :(

oh well. another reason to buy another knife- not so bad, right?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    ooh i like the emerson!

can't relocate her, she works for CPS and has to live in the city :(

oh well. another reason to buy another knife- not so bad, right?

reason? who needs a reason? I bought a busse NMSFNO yesterday just because I was bored. warning busse's are far worse than EBR disease.;)

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Spyderco SPOT serrated. It is an S-shaped skelteton fixed-blade neck knife. It is a hard thing to take away and if you dedicate it as a defense (not a daily utility) knife, it is a vicious little thing. Should cost you about $20.00 through Matthews cutlery or another discounter.

Top Bottom