• BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just say NO to 40 Short and Wimpy.

View attachment 318394

LE is dropping this thing like flies.

It's obvious no one wants it, used guns in 40S&W are about 100 to 50 cheaper then their equivalent 9x19 siblings.

I'm not buying any more, but I'm not selling any I have. .40S&W still works just fine, it just doesn't do anything more betterer than the 9mm loads to justify at this point. People tend to over value capacity, so cramming 2 more rounds in a magazine is a big deal to the folks in marketing.

Undeniably, 9mm is lower recoil and is easier to shoot. I don't think there's a department out there that hasn't expressed some version of 'better qualification scores/easier training for new shooters' with the 9mm over the .40.

Personally, I found .40 and Glock to not be a great match. I could shoot it just fine, I just didn't like it. I vastly prefer the P226 or P229 to any plastic .40 gun.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don’t really dislike any. There are some I don’t have and won’t.
    .380, from what I have read it is marginal at best as a SD round. I have never jumped on any new cartridge bandwagon. seems the excitement eventually goes away.

The 357 Sig may not be a good reloaders round but it is fun.
    10mm is a good reloading round. Good woods gun if you are in bear country. I used to enjoy shooting it more before I became old and a *****, but I still like shooting just not as many rounds in one outing.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I will add to my original post the 410. If it were cheaper, or as cheap, I could see it, but not at the cost it comes in at. If I can even find it. I think somebody upthread said pretty much the same thing.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    5.7x28. Overhyped and underperforming. I've heard that if you can get "the good stuff" it'll actually penetrate, but you can't, so it's a moot point. We shot some of the available stuff (American Eagle) at a car and some old vest panels, and it was worse than 9mm at penetrating the car (neither would penetrate the vest panels).

The P90 is stupid, too. The ergos are horrible, manual of arms are clunky, and the progressive trigger to go to full-auto is stupid. The only good thing I can say about the 5.7 is that it's pretty controllable in full-auto, but at $1/round and handicapped by the poor ergos of the platforms it was designed for, I'd rather just have something in 22LR. It would be a lot cheaper and almost as ballistically effective. I've heard it's a pain to reload, too, due to the special coating on the brass.

Of "practical" stuff I actually own, I have to say .22 Magnum. I have a conversion cylinder for my Single-Six that I can use to shoot it. It doesn't stabilize well in that gun, and is pretty inaccurate. As a rifle cartridge ballistically, if I need more than a .22LR I don't understand why I wouldn't just go to a .223. It's about the same price, more potent, and I can reload it and thus customize it to whatever I want.

The .22 mag would be a lot more interesting if they'd kept the same diameter as .22LR so they could be fired from the same chamber...but they didn't.

Finally, from the C&R side, .303 British. I own a few of these, too, and it's annoying. It's a capable round that was ruined by having a rim, corrosive primers, and cordite propellant long past the time when they should have gone away from those things. Being .311 instead of .308 is also annoying because I have to stock different bullets. Enfield actions are also hard on brass. British rifle collecting will reinforce any stereotypes you've ever had about the Brits. It doesn't matter what the rest of the world is doing, or how much better it is...they're going to insist on continuing to do it their own way even if it's stupid.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Not really any caliber I dislike just ones I see as pointless 357sig, 327 federal, 5.7x28, 30 carry, 50 Beowulf, 300blk,224 Valkyrie. I don't dislike these just don't see any point in them.

But small primer 45 acp is the worst thing ever fired from a gun My perspective as a reloader.
    That's hard to top... I think we have a winner

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    40 sh!t and guessin'. I was forced to carry this caliber for duty and we had a lot who couldn't qualify with it.
    Bring back 1911s for duty!!
    I just got the Staccato P approved as a duty firearm for my agency. Officer must purchase themselves but I got it done by provided a series of 10 qualification targets from several different officers of varying shooting capabilities. 1 target shot with dept issued gen 5 Glock, the other with my Staccato. Every single person shot significantly easier better with the Staccato. All of them commented on the trigger. The Chief wasn't thrilled about it but he couldn't argue with the results so he approved it. 2011s of the production variety are definitely making an entry into the LE world at a fast pace. The paper doesnt lie. Very exciting times as a firearms guy in LE for sure.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    10mm, it gave us .40S&W
    Despite everyone always saying "I wish it came in 10mm" , they do not in fact sell. Most guys who have one never shoot them due to cost of the ammo, and properly loaded 10mm is relatively hard to find at not obsene prices.

It's an interesting cartridge absolutely, but it just annoys the hell out of me.
    +1 here on 10mm. Theres a few guns that it is ok with but I get so tired of people yelling "need it in 10mm!" when infact nobody needs "insert product" in 10mm. Its the new "does it take glock mags".

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I don’t have any I’d say I hate. There are several though that make me wonder what they were thinking?

Like what’s old is new again everyone lost their mind over 6.5 Creedmoor but they pretty much had that with the 260 Rem and for 100 years before tat with the 6.5x55 Swed.

The 357 Sig was there with full power as designed 38 Super

Just things like that.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The one thing .357 Sig does that .38 Super doesn't is fit in a action designed for the length of the 9mm/40. I've never owned one or tried to reload for it, but I've heard it's a real pain trying to get proper neck tension and not crush cases with the short bottlenecks.

I love the 6.5 Swede. Those Swedish folks made a really fantastic variant of the Mauser to go with it, too.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Not really any caliber I dislike just ones I see as pointless 357sig, 327 federal, 5.7x28, 30 carry, 50 Beowulf, 300blk,224 Valkyrie. I don't dislike these just don't see any point in them.

But small primer 45 acp is the worst thing ever fired from a gun My perspective as a reloader.
    I want to find the person responsible for small primer 45 ACP brass and cut their balls off.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I don’t have any I’d say I hate. There are several though that make me wonder what they were thinking?

Like what’s old is new again everyone lost their mind over 6.5 Creedmoor but they pretty much had that with the 260 Rem and for 100 years before tat with the 6.5x55 Swed.

The 357 Sig was there with full power as designed 38 Super

Just things like that.
    That brings up a question I have had about the 6.5CM. I have read it is very similar to the 260 and the Swede, I have no personal experience or knowledge of either. Why a new cartridge? Why not just ramp up new rifles in these calibers?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    That brings up a question I have had about the 6.5CM. I have read it is very similar to the 260 and the Swede, I have no personal experience or knowledge of either. Why a new cartridge? Why not just ramp up new rifles in these calibers?
    Capitalism! Why sell a rifle when you can sell a rifle AND Ammo

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    7.62x39

Not enough mass, not enough velocity, narrow useful range for bullet selection, and everyone thinks its the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yet it has gone on to be fixed with 5.45x39, 9x39, and 6.5 grendel, which are all vastly better performing cartridges, proving that it is the worst compromise of all worlds.

5.7x28. Overhyped and underperforming. I've heard that if you can get "the good stuff" it'll actually penetrate, but you can't, so it's a moot point. We shot some of the available stuff (American Eagle) at a car and some old vest panels, and it was worse than 9mm at penetrating the car (neither would penetrate the vest panels).

The P90 is stupid, too. The ergos are horrible, manual of arms are clunky, and the progressive trigger to go to full-auto is stupid. The only good thing I can say about the 5.7 is that it's pretty controllable in full-auto, but at $1/round and handicapped by the poor ergos of the platforms it was designed for, I'd rather just have something in 22LR. It would be a lot cheaper and almost as ballistically effective. I've heard it's a pain to reload, too, due to the special coating on the brass.

Federal american eagle is the weakest loading in 5.7, only achieving around 1500fps, with a bullet intentionally designed to have bad penetration characteristics. SS197 is one of the most common rounds available and is putting out 1/3rd again the energy on target. SS195 Gets you most of the way to normal 5.7 performance and is also one of the most common loadings available. SS198 is pretty easy to pick up and that's a solid performer in 5.7. The boutique ammo market exists due to laws and fear of the ATF potentially banning anything that performs like it should.

In the boutique world you can expect penetration through a 3A vest, over 16" of penetration afterwards, and a wound track significantly larger than a 9mm hollow point. Which demonstrates what the round is capable of, if companies would stop being so scared of the ATF.

And cost is more on the 45-50 cents per round range.

The main appeal is the capacity, weight, and lack of recoil.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom